996 upvotes
Humidity or bust
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11284 posts
5769 upvotes
Brampton
Farging sneaky bastages. They should enable this function for people who own the Detectors. The Detectors have temp and humidity sensors but in.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2147 posts
1136 upvotes
Alliston, ON
No room sensors have humidity and it looks like nest wanted to keep these in a pretty small footprint by having it powered internally and not needing to be plugged in like the ecobee sensors.
It would be nice if they worked with the smoke detectors to have a follow me function instead of having to physically tell it which remote sensors to use
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2463 posts
928 upvotes
Mississauga
The Ecobee remote sensors are also battery powered, 0.2" smaller in HxW, and have proximity sensor. I think Nest came up short with this product even as they had time to size the competition...literally too. I still plan to pre-order one to see how well it works but going in disappointed.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11284 posts
5769 upvotes
Brampton
bubuski wrote: The Ecobee remote sensors are also battery powered, 0.2" smaller in HxW, and have proximity sensor. I think Nest came up short with this product even as they had time to size the competition...literally too. I still plan to pre-order one to see how well it works but going in disappointed.
Ecobee probably has some patents on the remote sensor ideas and it's why Nest is coming up short on these. The smart thing to do in the interim would have been to leverage the freaking $150 smoke detectors they sell. I don't need room level temp leveling the most I really need is floor based.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
tebore wrote: Farging sneaky bastages. They should enable this function for people who own the Detectors. The Detectors have temp and humidity sensors but in.
The Nest Protect smoke/CO alarm units (on sale last week for < C$100) have several extra sensors, including light, motion, sound (built-in microphone to do alarm listening tests), AC power present (AC version only), and humidity (to avoid triggering a false smoke alarm from shower steam). The motion sensor is used to communicate presence to the Nest servers and to other Nest devices like the thermostat, but only on about an hourly basis - you can't get any kind of motion alert from it, although it can trigger the built-in Pathway night light. The AC status sends notifications for power lost/restored that gets recorded in the device history, but the Nest api doesn't provide any triggers to control other devices based on this. The light and humidity sensors do not provide their status externally. Hopefully the microphone isn't externally accessible!

The Nest Protect also has a built-in speaker for voice announcements, and a color-changing LED circle that can "spin" to attract attention. These are used only for pre-configured announcements, and can only be externally triggered by other Nest Protect alarms.

So yes, Nest is missing the boat on opening up the sensors and output capabilities of their devices.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11284 posts
5769 upvotes
Brampton
Exp315 wrote: The Nest Protect smoke/CO alarm units (on sale last week for < C$100) have several extra sensors, including light, motion, sound (built-in microphone to do alarm listening tests), AC power present (AC version only), and humidity (to avoid triggering a false smoke alarm from shower steam). The motion sensor is used to communicate presence to the Nest servers and to other Nest devices like the thermostat, but only on about an hourly basis - you can't get any kind of motion alert from it, although it can trigger the built-in Pathway night light. The AC status sends notifications for power lost/restored that gets recorded in the device history, but the Nest api doesn't provide any triggers to control other devices based on this. The light and humidity sensors do not provide their status externally. Hopefully the microphone isn't externally accessible!

The Nest Protect also has a built-in speaker for voice announcements, and a color-changing LED circle that can "spin" to attract attention. These are used only for pre-configured announcements, and can only be externally triggered by other Nest Protect alarms.

So yes, Nest is missing the boat on opening up the sensors and output capabilities of their devices.
Oh I know I was hoping for them to expand the API access for years now.

The Wireless Detectors operate on an hourly basis. However if you have the wired versions they are pinging no less than every 10 mins. I can see the check in times on the API.

The stupid thing is this new sensor uses BLE, when Nest has their own proprietary wireless network that's used to wireless interconnect their protects.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
tebore wrote: The stupid thing is this new sensor uses BLE, when Nest has their own proprietary wireless network that's used to wireless interconnect their protects.
Unfortunately acquisition by Google is not likely to result in better product maturity. If any company is totally erratic in their product support, it's Google. Nest will probably adapt to the Google way of doing things, and start to drop their old products and introduce new half-baked ones every year.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11284 posts
5769 upvotes
Brampton
Exp315 wrote: Unfortunately acquisition by Google is not likely to result in better product maturity. If any company is totally erratic in their product support, it's Google. Nest will probably adapt to the Google way of doing things, and start to drop their old products and introduce new half-baked ones every year.
I'm glad i'm not the only one to feel the sentiments. I've directed everyone who wants a smart Thermostat over to ecobee as a result of the Google buy out.
Mar 15, 2005
637 posts
459 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: The Nest Protect smoke/CO alarm units (on sale last week for < C$100) have several extra sensors, including light, motion, sound (built-in microphone to do alarm listening tests), AC power present (AC version only), and humidity (to avoid triggering a false smoke alarm from shower steam). The motion sensor is used to communicate presence to the Nest servers and to other Nest devices like the thermostat, but only on about an hourly basis - you can't get any kind of motion alert from it, although it can trigger the built-in Pathway night light. The AC status sends notifications for power lost/restored that gets recorded in the device history, but the Nest api doesn't provide any triggers to control other devices based on this. The light and humidity sensors do not provide their status externally. Hopefully the microphone isn't externally accessible!

Agree 100% - I'd also love if with the speaker/microphone they were able to give nest protects (at least the wired version) google home functionality. Hoping now that nest and google teams are working together they can make it a reality.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32777 posts
18548 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks like Nest ripped off Xiaomi's sensor.