• Aug 17th, 2021 1:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
382 posts
132 upvotes
Bc canada

Nest says I have to use a google email?

I purchased a nest camera. I got the 30 days free trial and It was good so wanted to sign up to keep the features it had.
When I called, found out that the email address was put on the account, was a Gmail account. Nobody really uses it. I was not around when this happened or I would’ve not allowed it.

I requested to change it to my personal TELUS account address. I always check it in that way if there’s any issues or bills I would be able to see it immediately as I check my emails every day.

The agent On the phone spoke said no. Said it has to be a G mail account. And if not I would have to use a dummy email account for it to work.
He could not explain to me anything about this so I just gave up. Basically it was like two kindergarten kids talking to each other because neither of us know how to do what he’s requesting or why he’s requesting it.

I
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Not sure why a Gmail account was required, but it's simple enough to set up mail forwarding...

C
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2229 upvotes
0 downvotes
maybe because you need a google account and google owns nest
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3342 posts
1937 upvotes
Mississauga
A Google/Gmail email address is needed to use the Nest app. Old non-migrated Nest Accounts from 2-3 years ago did not need a Google/Gmail email account but Google has been migrating users over to the new way.

What you need to do is keep your Gmail as the 'Owner' and then add your Telus email as a Family Account using the Google Home app. Then grant the Telus email full access. It will have full access to everything Nest Camera related except billing.