Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9431 posts
916 upvotes

Nest smoke & carbon monoxide detector 1st vs 2nd generation

I am shopping for it and notice most places are out of stock. One stock told me 2nd generation is coming out. That is why most stores don't have it. By way, if there is $20 difference in price, would you take the 1st generation? What are their major differences ? Thanks
7 replies
Dec 19, 2011
558 posts
306 upvotes
I just bought 2 Nest Protects during one of the Tax-free days at Lowes.

As far as I can tell the only meaningful difference between 1st and 2nd Gen Nest Protect is the ability to Hush an alarm from within the App.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2619 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
nickscott wrote: I just bought 2 Nest Protects during one of the Tax-free days at Lowes.

As far as I can tell the only meaningful difference between 1st and 2nd Gen Nest Protect is the ability to Hush an alarm from within the App.
The 2nd Gen Protect is smaller, has a much better sensor in it, brighter LED light, and last 10yrs vs 7

I believe the price is staying the same too. It's supposed to launch for $99us, which is what the 1st Gen sold for
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4992 posts
2614 upvotes
GTA
Is the 2nd gen still missing the interconnect wire?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9431 posts
916 upvotes
Does anyone know when the local stores will start selling the 2nd generation?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
170 upvotes
shabby wrote: Is the 2nd gen still missing the interconnect wire?
I'm interested to know too. Has anybody confirmed whether or not its against code in Ontario to interconnect detectors via wireless?
Oct 14, 2007
373 posts
47 upvotes
Si98 wrote: I'm interested to know too. Has anybody confirmed whether or not its against code in Ontario to interconnect detectors via wireless?
Ontario Fire code which word for word says:

(8) If more than one smoke alarm is required in a dwelling unit, the smoke alarms shall be wired so that the actuation of one smoke alarm will cause all smoke alarms within the dwelling unit to sound.

If you do a strict interpretation of that section, you are required to have a wired interconnect.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
170 upvotes
Wonivek wrote: Ontario Fire code which word for word says:

(8) If more than one smoke alarm is required in a dwelling unit, the smoke alarms shall be wired so that the actuation of one smoke alarm will cause all smoke alarms within the dwelling unit to sound.

If you do a strict interpretation of that section, you are required to have a wired interconnect.
Thanks. This makes the Nest useless for me if it doesn't have that 3rd wire because I need to replace 3 units. Such a nice detector too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)