• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 4:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto

Nest sucks since Google took over

Anyone else notice the difference and decline in service?

~ constantly getting logged out and the app crashing
~ multiple clicks to login (which google account, allow permissions, email notification each time)
~ system crashes and downtime
~ poor customer service on chat
~ Nest used to allow you to special request footage that was months old, Google doesn’t do this
~ having to manually turn off the alarm on the keypad since you cannot get logged in on your phone/iPad
~ pixelated clips
~ cameras going offline
~ not picking up clips eg. obvious motion/sound

The only good thing is the subscription price was lowered since I have multiple cameras.

Anyone else expected that the system would IMPROVE when Google took over??? I was sadly mistaken.
19 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
Mine is all good here using the iOS app with my login migrated to google account. I actually do not like the new subscription model because I need subscription for just one Camera so I'm not heavily invested in Nest.

The app opens when I launch it(several times a day), Motion and notification are quite good especially with the zones that I setup. The features they keep adding with the Google home integration are welcomed here too.

My Nest gear
  • Nest Doorbell
  • Nest Cam indoor
  • Nest Thermostat 3
  • Nest Thermostat E
How is your internet connection at home. Ping time, WiFi reception around the cameras and upload speed. Are your devices sitting in 2.4GHz or 5GHz most of the time. This is one of the reasons that I got my doorbell from the USA and not bothering with the Outdoor Camera in Canada which are limited to 2.4GHz which is very congested in my area.

These Nest devices are very cloud focused so can be temperamental when the WiFi internet connection is congested or not ideal. Try checking it with an app like wifi sweetspot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7562 posts
8138 upvotes
Vancouver
I had Home Assistant connected to my Nest account when Google announced last year that they were killing the old Nest api and would no longer allow any 3rd-party access to Nest equipment. After a storm of protest, they grudgingly agreed to keep the old api open for grandfathered accounts - but no new accounts, and the old account will be lost if you ever have to re-register.

That was enough for me to strike Nest off my list for new purchases. I don't want to be part of a Google monopoly. The Google Home devices I have are already frustrating enough with their constantly variable behaviour.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18033 posts
12752 upvotes
Markham
Haven't noticed any change in my Nest Hello.

Trying to find out why something happens is very difficult. Here's one suggestion.

Usually your router can accommodate "guest" SSID's. Consider setting up the Nest stuff onto it's own Guest SSID so it doesn't get affected by ppl downloading content, playing games etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
Google can't do hardware period.
Speaking only about Nest Therm and Detectors.

Nest has absolutely gotten worse since Google took over. But it's typical Google. Go fast and break things, F the customer real hard.
Nest used to follow the Apple Approach (When Fadell was still there) we may not be first but at least it works right (barring some growing pains)

Google, killed their API in favor of forcing people go over to their Google Home/Assistant Ecosystem. No benefit to the customer but it certainly strengthens Google's HA push.

Nest has barely launched any new hardware in years. Those temp sensors that came out don't really add much to the experience.

There's still a ton of bugs in their Scheduling system in the Nest Thermostat. It intermittently will miss manual created schedule changes when coming out of Away Mode.

Latest update to Nest has "bricked" a ton of thermostats.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/comments/9xav9f/w5_error/
Mar 15, 2005
844 posts
763 upvotes
One of the biggest disappointments is the loss of functionality.

I have several nest products in the home, doorbell, thermostat, and nest protects.

When I built my home theatre, one feature I added was Phillips hue lights. A very nice feature was if one of the smoke detectors in the home went off, the lights in the theatre would flash red, giving a visual warning. A very important feature since the room is soundproof.

Last year Google abandoned the works with nest program, and this safety feature is gone. No word of it ever returning

I reached out to support and they are useless. Very frustrating that it took explaining the situation to 3 different techs only to have level 2 support give me a link to this article that doesn't even address the issue.
Jul 12, 2013
275 posts
183 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
Have not had any issues. Sorry to hear what you have experienced. Maybe look into your settings or wireless connection. If cannot figure out the issue, it doesn't hurt to hard reset everything and reinstall them (software/settings).

The only thing I'm not happy is not Google but the fact that Canada banned outdoor 5ghz so the 4k camera can only operate on 2.4ghz which will never deliver 4k image. 2.4ghz is very busy and real world speed is nowhere close to support 4k. I don't think we are even getting true 1080p resolution through these security cameras at 2.4ghz.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
cokeboy wrote: Have not had any issues. Sorry to hear what you have experienced. Maybe look into your settings or wireless connection. If cannot figure out the issue, it doesn't hurt to hard reset everything and reinstall them (software/settings).

The only thing I'm not happy is not Google but the fact that Canada banned outdoor 5ghz so the 4k camera can only operate on 2.4ghz which will never deliver 4k image. 2.4ghz is very busy and real world speed is nowhere close to support 4k. I don't think we are even getting true 1080p resolution through these security cameras at 2.4ghz.
This point is google's fault due to laziness. The lower 5GHz are limited for indoor use in Canada but the higher sub bands are not restricted. Google's fix was to remove the antenna instead of writing a firmware that fits our market and restricts the lower channels.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: Mine is all good here using the iOS app with my login migrated to google account. I actually do not like the new subscription model because I need subscription for just one Camera so I'm not heavily invested in Nest.

The app opens when I launch it(several times a day), Motion and notification are quite good especially with the zones that I setup. The features they keep adding with the Google home integration are welcomed here too.

My Nest gear
  • Nest Doorbell
  • Nest Cam indoor
  • Nest Thermostat 3
  • Nest Thermostat E
How is your internet connection at home. Ping time, WiFi reception around the cameras and upload speed. Are your devices sitting in 2.4GHz or 5GHz most of the time. This is one of the reasons that I got my doorbell from the USA and not bothering with the Outdoor Camera in Canada which are limited to 2.4GHz which is very congested in my area.

These Nest devices are very cloud focused so can be temperamental when the WiFi internet connection is congested or not ideal. Try checking it with an app like wifi sweetspot.
I use iOS as well and I find there are issues daily. I have 3 pods in my house and maybe a mesh system would be better. I have outdoor cams, doorbell, security system and thermostat. Thanks for your recommendation about wifi sweetspot. I will check. Coverage could probably be better.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Haven't noticed any change in my Nest Hello.

Trying to find out why something happens is very difficult. Here's one suggestion.

Usually your router can accommodate "guest" SSID's. Consider setting up the Nest stuff onto it's own Guest SSID so it doesn't get affected by ppl downloading content, playing games etc.
This is a good idea. I will look into it.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
discoblues wrote: One of the biggest disappointments is the loss of functionality.

I reached out to support and they are useless. Very frustrating that it took explaining the situation to 3 different techs only to have level 2 support give me a link to this article that doesn't even address the issue.
Tech Support is clueless. They spend most of the time trying to understand basic issues then give wrong advice.

I remember when I was with Nest and there was a long list of compatible 3rd party systems and now nada. And my other apps that work with Home Assistant don’t even work by verbal command as they should with my Home and Mini. So I end up using multiple apps which is a pain.
Last edited by DealMoney7777 on Jul 30th, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
cokeboy wrote: Have not had any issues. Sorry to hear what you have experienced. Maybe look into your settings or wireless connection. If cannot figure out the issue, it doesn't hurt to hard reset everything and reinstall them (software/settings).

I have done multiple resets.

It’s too bad because I am happy with the integration and quality of the product, however the functionality sucks.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
Google has established a pretty good pattern with consumer products by now. If it doesn't make them money, let it wither, then cancel it. How many failed attempts do they have in the messaging/video call space?

On the hardware side, I currently have a bunch of protects, they work well so far, but I don't interact with them much. Had a nest thermo won't buy one again since they did a silent update that killed the heat in the middle of winter - dumb. After hours on the phone, our system was deemed no longer compatible, even though the hardware didn't change, there was no way to revert their software change - not something you want on an essential appliance. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester, but they don't care.

Chromecast audios are orphan products now too, just waiting for an update to kill them next.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: Had a nest thermo won't buy one again since they did a silent update that killed the heat in the middle of winter - dumb. After hours on the phone, our system was deemed no longer compatible, even though the hardware didn't change, there was no way to revert their software change - not something you want on an essential appliance. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester, but they don't care.
Did you have an older generation thermostat? Did they send you a new one?

The only reason that I think they won’t scrap it (for now) is that home security is big business, especially with people doing so much online shopping. I just wish they would improve the features and functionality.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
Maplesugar25 wrote: Did you have an older generation thermostat? Did they send you a new one?
I'd have to look it up, but it wasn't the first gen. But the expensive on just before they introduced the nest E.

The best they would do is send a new backplate. We had to add an additional wire to permanently fix it (it worked fine for ~2 years before their update broke our install.) I never ended up running a wire before we moved, ended up swapping the wires around seasonally instead.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: I'd have to look it up, but it wasn't the first gen. But the expensive on just before they introduced the nest E.

The best they would do is send a new backplate. We had to add an additional wire to permanently fix it (it worked fine for ~2 years before their update broke our install.) I never ended up running a wire before we moved, ended up swapping the wires around seasonally instead.
Yeah that does suck. They have offered to replace one of my cameras that has been having issues so I may take them up on that and see if things improve.
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
192 upvotes
Leask
Yes, I notice nest website would log me out every time and when I have to login, multiple clicks... annoying.

App is still good.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1641 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Wish they would add a time lapse function where you can fast forward 2x, 5x, 10x the speed.

Manually scrolling lags...
Jan 8, 2011
673 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Google WiFi mesh system which I’m pleased with. Wanted to buy a second for the cottage but they’ve discontinued. The new Google Nest WiFi has been value engineered, no Ethernet ports for wired backhaul or a wired device. That killed my second purchase.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
THINKPOD wrote: Yes, I notice nest website would log me out every time and when I have to login, multiple clicks... annoying.

App is still good.
This happens to me even with the app.
EscaBoi wrote: Wish they would add a time lapse function where you can fast forward 2x, 5x, 10x the speed.

Manually scrolling lags...
Yes I agree. I have crazy neighbours and need to look back on the day and it takes forever.
Backlight wrote: I have a Google WiFi mesh system which I’m pleased with. Wanted to buy a second for the cottage but they’ve discontinued. The new Google Nest WiFi has been value engineered, no Ethernet ports for wired backhaul or a wired device. That killed my second purchase.
I had been wondering about the mesh system.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)