Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Netflix] Cheaper Netflix - YMMV (non Canadian subscription)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 7:50 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2012
53 posts
51 upvotes

[Netflix] Cheaper Netflix - YMMV (non Canadian subscription)

Retailer:
Netflix
More offers from Netflix
YMMV

With Netflix the catalog is that from the country you are on, but the account/pricing, is from the country the account is registered on.

I realized Argentina has much cheaper rates. I don't have VPN so I gave my Canadian credit card to a relative and they signed me up.
With VPN it should be the same. Netflix needs to locate you in Argentina to offer pricing in pesos.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pr ... flix-cost/

I have been using it for a couple of months now no problem. I have the Ultra plan (most expensive) and I have been charged
CAD $10.50, to $11.30 (as exchange fluctuates) . Still way cheaper than local pricing
Last edited by aasoror on Feb 21st, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated title
103 replies
Jul 8, 2019
344 posts
163 upvotes
The link you posted shows ARS 449 for premium plan in Argentina. That is CAD 6.34. How are you charged CAD 10.5 for it?
Dec 11, 2008
446 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
How do you change your existing billing from one country to another?
[OP]
Sep 28, 2012
53 posts
51 upvotes
Unsure. The country has multiple exchange rates, and there can be local taxes. That's why I shared what I actually pay in Canadian
Apr 24, 2018
80 posts
41 upvotes
interesting. how is the content compared to Canadian netflix ?
[OP]
Sep 28, 2012
53 posts
51 upvotes
RussellP53756 wrote: interesting. how is the content compared to Canadian netflix ?
The catalog is the local Canadian catalog. This is similar as if you were to travel to USA (post COVID). If you use your Canadian Netflix account in USA, you would have USA catalog, but you are still paying in Canadian dollars
Sep 3, 2019
735 posts
452 upvotes
GTA
Have you noticed any difference in the type of content Netflix promotes to you because the billing country is in Argentina? Example: Are you noticing more Spanish content? Are you finding an increase or decrease in certain genres?

Or is everything the same as before because the billing country and the vpn your country is in are completely separate?

Any risk of Netflix discovers the discrepancy?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8794 posts
3259 upvotes
Toronto
I like deals. But I'd pay the Netflix pricing for Canada, for living in Canada. There's an extent of how I'd like to get deals, and I wouldn't cheat to get lower pricing.

I wouldn't park in parking spots for physically challenged, and have no problem parking further away. I can walk, and feel blessed I can walk a little further.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2051 posts
1442 upvotes
The cheapest is actually Turkey I think, but thanks for the tip.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1544 posts
172 upvotes
to do this.. you need a phone number in Argentina for them to verify when you first setup (only use it during setup).. if you don't have a relative over there, you need to find a way ..
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13767 posts
5378 upvotes
Toronto, ON
av10000 wrote: YMMV

With Netflix the catalog is that from the country you are on, but the account/pricing, is from the country the account is registered on.

I realized Argentina has much cheaper rates. I don't have VPN so I gave my Canadian credit card to a relative and they signed me up.
With VPN it should be the same. Netflix needs to locate you in Argentina to offer pricing in pesos.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-pr ... flix-cost/

I have been using it for a couple of months now no problem. I have the Ultra plan (most expensive) and I have been charged
CAD $10.50, to $11.30 (as exchange fluctuates) . Still way cheaper than local pricing
If you have VPN, signing up from Turkey would be even cheaper (around $7CAD for the Ultra Plan on a no-FX fee credit card)...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1441 posts
913 upvotes
Near You
darkhorz1 wrote: The link you posted shows ARS 449 for premium plan in Argentina. That is CAD 6.34. How are you charged CAD 10.5 for it?
The data posted is way out of date, current prices are here: Image

The premium plan is now 669 ARS, which is 9.48 CAD, exchange rate and tax extra.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35241 posts
21222 upvotes
Center of Universe
To get the Turkey pricing, you'll need a Turkey NF GC to setup and then switch to a Canadian CC.
Apr 30, 2017
437 posts
659 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
Arrgh wrote: I like deals. But I'd pay the Netflix pricing for Canada, for living in Canada. There's an extent of how I'd like to get deals, and I wouldn't cheat to get lower pricing.

I wouldn't park in parking spots for physically challenged, and have no problem parking further away. I can walk, and feel blessed I can walk a little further.
Comparing this to parking in a handicap parking is going far. This is like the deal on Xbox Live Gold when you buy it from another country. You're not stopping someone from parking close to a store, you're paying 5$ less a month to a multi million dollar company. Chill.
Sep 26, 2013
140 posts
223 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: I like deals. But I'd pay the Netflix pricing for Canada, for living in Canada. There's an extent of how I'd like to get deals, and I wouldn't cheat to get lower pricing.

there is no limitation on how many accounts can be used in Argentina. You are not taking someone else's spot for it. the fact this somehow gives you a chance to show off about not parking in a handicap parking is... just amazing
Nov 12, 2017
292 posts
360 upvotes
Cambridge
I don't see how this is any different than for people that use VPN to watch USA Netflix, for example.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1868 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Totally irrelevant. And no harm is being done. The consumer is paying less and netflix is still getting revenue. These savings can help people during times of covid.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3214 posts
5372 upvotes
This is like the India VPN and YouTube premium loophole. Why not save money if you can?

If I can figure this out I’m doing it.
Been with these guys from the start and only get price increases year after year
Public Mobile customer
May 15, 2009
186 posts
374 upvotes
Ottawa
How can I change the current country from Canada to another one, Turkey or Argentina?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1977 posts
1319 upvotes
Ottawa

I don't use Netflix but this is more in line with Netflix refusing to pay or even collect taxes in Canada and not following the same rules as Crave and Canadian medias because they are Americans and don't have an office in Canada.

They just started signing deals with the government to invest in Canada but not sure if they're being treated the same way as Crave or not yet.