Entertainment

Netflix Extraction (Chris Hemsworth rescue action thriller)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 4:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9394 posts
1536 upvotes
Victoria
MusicBox wrote: People that don't watch movies because of subtitles are people who are not very bright. They miss on many good foreign movies such as "The Ottoman Empire" on Netflix, a turkish series.
I realize this. I do watch subtitled movies, but I've got to be in the mood for it. We dug the hell of Parasite, loved the movie Red Cliff, watched all of El Chapo with subs because I couldn't stand the dubbed voices.. etc...

I think in this case my post was alluding to the fact that maybe we didn't watch the movie at the right time and simply weren't into it. It didn't hold our attention, and I don't think were in the headspace for watching a movie with that many subs.

I either chalk it up to the fact the movie didn't hold our attention past 30 minutes, and it's one of the few movies that we've turned off. Maybe we weren't in the right headspace to watch the movie. Sometimes people don't all like the same movie. It's ok, it's why there are lots of movies.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2743 posts
706 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: People that don't watch movies because of subtitles are people who are not very bright.
Is this scientifically proven?
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
601 upvotes
Ontario
Good action flick. Some really amazing action shots. I liked it better than JW 2 and 3.

I don't understand the bad reviews. I've seen way worse action movies with better reviews. Seems like some critics are bashing it just for being a white savior movie which isn't even true.
Nov 13, 2014
279 posts
173 upvotes
Westmount, QC
lead wrote: open to interpretation.
Director said it was left open to interpretation in part because when they were screen testing the movie some people complained one way or the other but in his mind Rake's story was done if you know the meaning, and it's how I saw the ending also.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12024 posts
3938 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Adequate enough to probably be a winner for Netflix
According to Netflix, it's on track to be its most watched movie premiere in its debut month

Not an indication of quality (previous record Bay's 6 Underground less than half a year ago; also Sandler comedies are some of their most popular streams)
jenviea wrote: I suspect actors who play Thor's handler and Thor's rival might get more Hollywood action in movies not even set in southeast Asia
I'm wrong, Nik actress has been in Hollywood for a while now

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20681 posts
22109 upvotes
Toronto
My dad loves old school action movies . We watched this one together a few days ago and both thoroughly enjoyed it. Action scenes were graphic and brutal. Beautifully shot with excellent cinematography.
I just recently upgraded to a 4K TCL TV and it looked simply stunning. Recommended for people that enjoyed things like Sniper, Sicario, and the Expendables series.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1878 posts
716 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sprung wrote: My dad loves old school action movies . We watched this one together a few days ago and both thoroughly enjoyed it. Action scenes were graphic and brutal. Beautifully shot with excellent cinematography.
I just recently upgraded to a 4K TCL TV and it looked simply stunning. Recommended for people that enjoyed things like Sniper, Sicario, and the Expendables series.
it's still coming in at 4k? thought Netflix said they lowered the quality during this pandemic?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9394 posts
1536 upvotes
Victoria
sumtimw0ng wrote: it's still coming in at 4k? thought Netflix said they lowered the quality during this pandemic?
I think Netflix lowered bitrates, not resolution. Basically more compression which would make artifacts (blocks) more noticeable the larger the TV.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3067 posts
368 upvotes
GTA
Watched it a couple of days ago and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Great action movie and as already mentioned some of the sequences/scenes were excellent.
Oct 8, 2005
829 posts
90 upvotes
THor really kicked butt in this movie; I didn't think he had it in him but the fight choreography was actually REALLY good!
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
691 upvotes
It's no miracle of moviemaking, but Extraction is a solid action thriller with a good screenplay. Recommended!
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
691 upvotes
BTW, it was definitely Hemsworth's character alive on the pool deck in the last scene. The director went to all the trouble of framing the movie with two long underwater scenes. Extraction begins with Hemsworth jumping off the cliff in Northern Australia and sitting for a long time on the bottom of the waterfall pool and ends with the kid Ovi jumping off the diving tower and sitting for a long time on the bottom of the swimming pool. In the middle of the movie Ovi supports the grieving Hemsworth by telling him the quote he read in school: "You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it." The Extraction sequel is good to go.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13696 posts
4839 upvotes
Ottawa
goodking wrote: It's no miracle of moviemaking, but Extraction is a solid action thriller with a good screenplay. Recommended!
The action cinematography was exceptionally well done. It was done by an ex stuntman and he really knows how to make the action immersive. It felt real because it was real, not CGI'ed.

Somebody previously linked a youtube showing some of the behind the scenes of the action scenes. I appreciate what they brought to the table.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13696 posts
4839 upvotes
Ottawa
yeah, they are working on the script for Extraction 2. The ending was left open and of course, he had to have survived.

With movies like Taken and John Wick, usually sequels follow the exact same formula, and maybe turn it up a notch because the budget may be even bigger.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.