[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
14 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Netflix - Gift Cards Coming to Retailers

Hello All,

Long time lurker - first time poster :)

I came across an interesting article on Huffington Post. It looks like Netflix will be releasing prepaid gift cards in 'select stores' in the US and Canada in the near future. There has not been any information given as to which stores yet, but I think we can all keep our eyes peeled as I imagine it will likely launch prior to the holidays. It looks like a $30 card has been confirmed thus far.

If interested, the article can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/2 ... 07726.html

I also pasted it below:
You may soon be able to get a Netflix subscription at your neighborhood grocery store.

The streaming video service announced in a letter to investors Monday that it's going to start selling physical gift cards in "select stores" in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Germany -- a small number of the more than 40 countries where it will operate by fall.

Apart from serving as a last-minute gift from the relative who has no idea what to get you, the gift cards will allow people to pay for Netflix without a credit card. Indeed, the picture of gift card in the investor letter shows it emblazoned with the phrase "no credit card required."

"In mature markets, gift cards will extend our brand presence and make it easier to access Netflix," the company said in its letter. "In newer markets, gift cards help build the brand and provide an easier alternative for consumers to join Netflix in markets with developing online payments."

In the U.S. and Canada, it'll be great marketing for Netflix to have a display of gift cards at the grocery store alongside those of Starbucks and iTunes. And in Germany, where the service will launch in September, and Mexico, it'll simply be another way for people to pay for Netflix.

Netflix left many questions unanswered in a short statement in its quarterly letter to investors, including stores where the cards will be sold and the denominations. Netflix included an image of a $30 gift card in the note. In the U.S., Netflix plans start at $7.99 a month.

Netflix has in the past blamed slow subscriber growth in Latin America in part on issues related to processing payments -- a smaller proportion of people in the region use credit cards and debit cards. Reed Hastings, Netflix's founder and CEO, referred on Monday to the "tremendous payment complexity" in Brazil.

Netflix wouldn't comment about bringing gift cards to other countries, but selling them in Mexico may be a test. Mexico is not only the second-largest economy in Latin America, but one where only about a quarter of the population has a bank account.

"Latin America is one of the tougher markets for digital commerce," Julija Jurkevic, a global research analyst at SNL Kagan, told The Huffington Post. "I would expect them to actually introduce [gift cards] in more of the Latin American markets."
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18172 posts
17328 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sucks to be credit challenged if you need to rely on different forms of payment...
Dec 16, 2004
807 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Sucks to be credit challenged if you need to rely on different forms of payment...
Lol...but it also opens up for the possibility of sales on Netflix gift cards to reduce your monthly cost.
Jun 3, 2013
381 posts
93 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Sucks to be credit challenged if you need to rely on different forms of payment...
I doubt that is the reason. I think it is more to have people buy gift cards as gifts for other non-Netflix users. Then they become hooked and new subscribers for life.

Netflix is very addictive and a great value. Cable company knows it and hence they try to regulate them through the CRTC. So dumb.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
14 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chopras wrote: I doubt that is the reason. I think it is more to have people buy gift cards as gifts for other non-Netflix users. Then they become hooked and new subscribers for life.

Netflix is very addictive and a great value. Cable company knows it and hence they try to regulate them through the CRTC. So dumb.
Exactly - it allows for individuals to purchase/gift the service for a family member or friend and attract new users. It also really opens up a big opportunity for Netflix to target those who may not have a credit card (i.e. teens/young adults who may want to use the service) and people who may be security conscious (and want to avoid using their credit card for online services). Also, not the worst for people who may not want to have another monthly payment falling on their credit card. I say, the more payment options the merrier.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
14 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was at my local Shopper's Drug Mart this morning and it looks like the Netflix cards are out!

It looked like they had $30 and $60 cards.
Jul 8, 2009
711 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Spotted $30 and $60 cards at Metro.

I'll probably buy one or two while my new Amex is still giving 5% cashback.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)