Entertainment

Netflix Squid Game (desperate people lured into deadly games - Korean series global phenomenon)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 7:16 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13958 posts
6183 upvotes
Toronto

Netflix Squid Game (desperate people lured into deadly games - Korean series global phenomenon)

CEOofPopeyes wrote: I recommend 'Squid Game' on Netflix. Recently came out.



motomondo wrote: I am watching episode # 4, so far it's pretty damn good. Gory, twisted, but there is also some humour in there that helps the whole show.
ReeGee wrote: +1 for this.
In a wide ranging interview with NYT, Ted Sarandos brags the Korean show might be Netflix biggest show yet IF the initial numbers hold

https://deadline.com/2021/09/bridgerton ... 234845341/
Last edited by jenviea on Oct 17th, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
103 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8829 posts
5870 upvotes
Toronto
Worthy of it's own new thread for sure and will likely become a hit by next year if it isn't considered one already. I typically don't jump on new hyped up series right away but this is one the most refreshing shows Netflix has put out in a while and is well worth watching if you have a 4K Dolby Vision setup as there isn't a lot of content in this quality on Netflix that's shot and produced this well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
1194 posts
1185 upvotes
Toronto
I have watched a few of these genres over the years, find the commentary on how man treats man rather interesting while being entertaining.

New this time however is my wife and daughter also enjoyed watching, dont quite know why that happened but does speak to this series having a greater audience over previous incarnations.

I did find the end rather lacklustre, seems like they are wanting to set up a sequel. A it of trying to hard imho....

Dont wish to say too much af this point, give this one a try it does get better as the series goes on.....
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9888 posts
11258 upvotes
Toronto
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I did find the end rather lacklustre, seems like they are wanting to set up a sequel. A it of trying to hard imho....
Maybe awhile for the another season

Director Hwang Dong-hyuk has spoken out about the success of the series and the chances of a sequel, but he isn't quite ready for such a major undertaking yet.
https://collider.com/squid-game-season- ... s-netflix/

In an exclusive interview with Variety, Hwang detailed the painstaking process that went into making the series a reality and the probability of a sequel. He often works alone on his projects, like the 2011 film Silenced, and he did the same for Squid Game, acting as both writer and director. Translating the story he created into a show on his own proved a grueling task for him that he isn't willing to repeat. It took him nearly six months to finish the first two episodes and the exhaustion from managing the show himself has led him to take a break from the series. He spoke on this during the interview:

"I don’t have well developed plans for ‘Squid Game 2.’ It is quite tiring just thinking about it. But if I were to do it, I would certainly not do it alone. I’d consider using a writers’ room and would want multiple experienced directors."

While it's not a definitive no on a Season 2 or sequel series, it is a definite "not now." Squid Game is the culmination of nearly 13 years of planning and production. Hwang originally developed the concept back in 2008, originally planning for it to be a feature film.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24984 posts
2175 upvotes
Markham, ON
sequel?

i found the series pretty complete...and closed most questions.

A sequel would just be a money grab.
Jr. Member
Aug 22, 2011
175 posts
162 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Loved this show!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9713 posts
1655 upvotes
Montreal, QC
On episode 4 and it's pretty good so far. I must say I prefer "Alice in Borderlands" for this type of genre right now but that may change as I finish the series.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2687 posts
1224 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Good series. Can drag at times but overall good. I'm currently midway through episode 6 and damn... Won't spoil it

The show is made for sequels but in a new season, new characters
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6611 posts
1758 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dhanushan wrote: Maybe awhile for the another season

Director Hwang Dong-hyuk has spoken out about the success of the series and the chances of a sequel, but he isn't quite ready for such a major undertaking yet.
https://collider.com/squid-game-season- ... s-netflix/

In an exclusive interview with Variety, Hwang detailed the painstaking process that went into making the series a reality and the probability of a sequel. He often works alone on his projects, like the 2011 film Silenced, and he did the same for Squid Game, acting as both writer and director. Translating the story he created into a show on his own proved a grueling task for him that he isn't willing to repeat. It took him nearly six months to finish the first two episodes and the exhaustion from managing the show himself has led him to take a break from the series. He spoke on this during the interview:

"I don’t have well developed plans for ‘Squid Game 2.’ It is quite tiring just thinking about it. But if I were to do it, I would certainly not do it alone. I’d consider using a writers’ room and would want multiple experienced directors."

While it's not a definitive no on a Season 2 or sequel series, it is a definite "not now." Squid Game is the culmination of nearly 13 years of planning and production. Hwang originally developed the concept back in 2008, originally planning for it to be a feature film.
sequel or do they mean season 2?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2233 posts
462 upvotes
Turns out the phone number on the business card works. 🤣🤣🤣
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9713 posts
1655 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Ok so I finished it last night and my initial opinion stands, I do prefer Alice in Borderlands as far as "deadly games" series go; Squid Game was good until the ending where I'm not sure if they were trying too hard to setup a season 2/sequel or they didn't know how to wrap it up, but it felt lackluster. It wasn't a big cliffhanger moment like Alice nor did it solve much either so it's in this weird place of "ok now what?" IMO.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
22481 posts
3771 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: Ok so I finished it last night and my initial opinion stands, I do prefer Alice in Borderlands as far as "deadly games" series go; Squid Game was good until the ending where I'm not sure if they were trying too hard to setup a season 2/sequel or they didn't know how to wrap it up, but it felt lackluster. It wasn't a big cliffhanger moment like Alice nor did it solve much either so it's in this weird place of "ok now what?" IMO.
sweet - I have Squid Game queued up and going to collect Alice in Borderlands......sounds really interesting!! Thx~!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2004
7456 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Good show - could have been half the length.

Not sure about others, but the first episode gave enough away to figure out key components for the rest of the series (which games would be played + who the mastermind was behind it all) - expected more from all the messed up/unique Korean flicks I've watched over the years but overall enjoyable.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3107 posts
2003 upvotes
Almost halfway through S01 - great show so far with a lot of potential.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3816 posts
1152 upvotes
GTA
Very good show, best to watch it in 1 or 2 sittings IMO.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4232 posts
1334 upvotes
Binged the whole season in 3 evenings. Interesting series, episode 6 being the highlight. A few loose threads that sets up season 2. Although from the sounds of the article with the director/writer there are no plans and he takes a long time to do things? Will being " forced" to make a quick season 2 ruin the whole thing? Perhaps they were better off wrapping the whole thing up as a whole. There will be the inevitable " Western" spinoff... I just hope they don't make it a gore fest which takes away from the " human element " side of the story that made the original good.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1338 posts
1451 upvotes
Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD !!!

Highlight to read:

I agree that the ending of this movie is quite lacklustre, but it explains a lot more in-depth of why the games originated. Rich people and poor people are at a level which does not change much, where as the middle can reach higher or fall lower - and this keeps them busy, therefore they are not bored.
The main character, after winning the game, seemed traumatized by event. His mom dies, his best friend dies, the North Korean chick dies along with others he got to know from the game. I'm sure if this guy had a time machine, he would return all the money for all the people in the game to return to life.
This is a very different viewpoint as I'm sure all the other previous winners used the money for their own selfish reasons. The Old man knew this guy was different from other contestants. He has HEART/COMPASSION for others, regardless of their background. Is he Jesus reborn?
It also sets up for season 2 where the Main Character is against the games, choosing NOT to take the flight to the US, the cop who fell off the cliff is probably still alive and the gangster also survived (probably a soft landing on top of the slutty chick).

The movie also presses many unanswered questions where you have to come to your own conclusions, like:

1. Why would any of the first round survivors go back into the Game - where death is immenent unless you are the winner.
2. Why would a couple (husband/wife) join? if one survives, does that mean they hate each other? trade your SO for money?
3. Why would a church believer join the games? He should be preaching to the contestants to avoid it at all costs because their fate is not through gods judgement. The games will judge their fate.

I'm sure 2nd season is in the works with/without the director/writer of the first season, to tie up loose ends.

Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2005
557 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
This is was fun series to watch. Quite entertaining.

Top