• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 3:31 pm
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7484 posts
4115 upvotes
Debtario
Netflix has stepped up its efforts to ban VPN and proxy users from bypassing geographical restrictions. The streaming service is now blocking residential IP addresses too, since some unblocking tools use these to bypass restrictions. This isn't without collateral damage as many regular Internet users without a VPN now report "missing content" on Netflix.
IP bans are silly. If I were a paying customer and ran into this, I wouldn't be a paying customer for long.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5294 posts
3981 upvotes
It's all about taking action to show IP holders that they are serious about regional locks. They have a legal obligation to try.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7552 posts
8126 upvotes
Vancouver
evilYoda wrote: It's all about taking action to show IP holders that they are serious about regional locks. They have a legal obligation to try.
That's the truth of it. Netflix doesn't care, it's the copyright cartels that want to preserve their outdated model of separate national licences in the age of worldwide internet access to digital media. But Netflix has to cater to their pressure if they want content.

The VPN companies mostly smartened up and changed their web sites to refer to supporting "various" streaming services, perhaps including "N". It's a shame they couldn't get their customers to stop boasting publicly about their international access to specific streaming services via specific VPNs. Did people think that wouldn't trigger another wave of action?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1834 posts
417 upvotes
BC
Why change anyway if you live in Canada. A majority of the newer shows, if not all, appear on both Canadian & American networks at almost the same time anyhow. I subscribed to Surf shark, thinking it would be a huge difference in shows. Now I just use Netflix normally. The US apparently has more movies, in quantity, but most are older.
"Hate is a disease. It is a virus that spreads and kills."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: It's all about taking action to show IP holders that they are serious about regional locks. They have a legal obligation to try.
The Movie/TV industry is weird like that.

I wish they'd learn from the music industry where they're trying to consolidate to one and "open" it up to make it easy.

As Gabe Newell said, piracy isn't a price problem, it's an access problem.

It's shit like this that will cause even the non pirate to pirate.

Also:
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6935 posts
4666 upvotes
SW ON
insync44 wrote: Why change anyway if you live in Canada. A majority of the newer shows, if not all, appear on both Canadian & American networks at almost the same time anyhow. I subscribed to Surf shark, thinking it would be a huge difference in shows. Now I just use Netflix normally. The US apparently has more movies, in quantity, but most are older.
It depend on what you like to watch. Not everyone watches only newer shows.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6935 posts
4666 upvotes
SW ON
Why doesn't Netflix operate by billing address of the payment method? They could just do it, and if one connects from another country show only Netflix Originals.