• Feb 21st, 2019 10:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1047 posts
926 upvotes

Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House

Has anyone watched this yet? Finished it last night and I thought it was 10 solid episodes of some good storytelling. It had me hooked from the first episode, and I'd love to see a second season that continues the story.

Now, bordering on a bit ridiculous: People are passing out?

The show has scary moments, yes. One ghost really freaked me out (tall man), but the show wasn't that scary. Anyway I highly recommend this if you like a good show with some scary parts. Great for Halloween!
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
49 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16798 posts
4464 upvotes
Toronto
Ya it was a good show. Great story telling for sure.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10265 posts
1145 upvotes
Vancouver
Bump. Surprised no replies. It seems to have rave reviews. Overhype or is it well done?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11514 posts
2620 upvotes
Montréal
Thanks for telling me about this, no idea it existed. Love me some horror, hope it's good! Will report back after my bingefest lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1564 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, just in time for Halloween.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5148 posts
858 upvotes
calgary
I binged most of this last weekend, I still have one episode left but I absolutely love it.

Its a great combination of human drama, creepiness and jump scares. Having said that I didn't find it overly scary aside from the jump scares, Its just creepy and a bit unsettling.

It also encouraged me to check out the directors other work, I watched the movie Oculus which was a ton of fun to watch as well.
Nov 13, 2014
203 posts
102 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Finished it I think Tuesday, loved every minute of it. Maybe a bit slow at times but it didn't bother me. The actors were all goods, and props to the casting departement, every adult looked like their kid counterpart and all the actors did have a family resemblance of some sorts.

I have to say though, I expected it to be a bit scarier. I did love all the unacknowledged ghosts in some shots.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3125 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
I am only 3 episodes in but I love this show !

for the last few years I have been trying to watch a horror movie every day in October but its not that easy during a busy work week so this show came up at a great time !!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1047 posts
926 upvotes
theXshape wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:28 pm
Finished it I think Tuesday, loved every minute of it. Maybe a bit slow at times but it didn't bother me. The actors were all goods, and props to the casting departement, every adult looked like their kid counterpart and all the actors did have a family resemblance of some sorts.

I have to say though, I expected it to be a bit scarier. I did love all the unacknowledged ghosts in some shots.
Yes there were quite a few more that I started noticing by the end of the series. Also other things, such as statues that had moved.
I also thought they did some good casting as far as the looks of the cast. As McHaggis said they also made the human drama aspect work, I cared for each sibling enough to be interested in their fates.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1341 posts
207 upvotes
Woodbridge
Enjoying it so far. In half way and while it's good it's no where near as scary as online media has made it out to seem. I'm starting to think that it's some clever marketing to get people interested in watching the show.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11514 posts
2620 upvotes
Montréal
Spoilers:

Finished bingeing. Tx again OP!

I thought it was very solid horror series, just that the last episode wasn't scary at all, I thought I was watching This is Us w/ all the schmaltz. Didn't like them showing all the ghosts like they were in a chorus line, all gathered around, lessens the fright effect. Also too convenient everyone just suddenly turns around and gets their act together and becomes this loving family.

Well, overall still great and looking forward to S2 hopefully.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1063 posts
507 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Thanks OP l Just finished it and really enjoy it, the last episode was really good.
Jun 24, 2015
196 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I enjoyed it a lot! not that scary

ppl who "passed out" watching it has clearly never watched a scary movie in their life.

I'm just baffled about Abigail! Has Nell never seen Luke play with Abigail? still couldn't believe what happened to her. Poor Dudleys :(
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12272 posts
2814 upvotes
RFD
I just finished episode 4 The Twin Thing and thought this was the best episode yet. So far the young kids performances have been superb and are the standouts, but this episode 4, Oliver Jackson-Cohen had an amazing performance that was convincing. I wouldn't say its scary like the hype says it is, but the story and character development are first rate.