Expired Hot Deals

Netgear Arlo Smart Home Security Camera System, $265.99 (warm-hot)?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2016 11:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1087 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto

Netgear Arlo Smart Home Security Camera System, $265.99 (warm-hot)?

LOOKS LIKE THE PROMO CODE NO LONGER WORKS. THIS SHOULD GO TO THE EXPIRED DEALS

I've been looking up home cameras and I stumbled upon this. I haven't picked one up myself (likely I will).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6881149013

If you notice there's a promo code 0527CANFEBMC54

By using that promo the price drops to $265.99

Seems to be at least a warm deal.
15 replies
Sep 11, 2011
654 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
These are what I'd call activity cameras, don't consider them security. They only record when there is movement (based on your set sensitivity), which means the batteries (which are an unusual size and are probably available only online) might last 4-6 months under low sensitivity/minimal activity, or in a busy place it might only last a week or two.

I don't have these but research shows they are still excellent for their purpose, i.e. while away, garage monitor, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1087 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
ApocDeals wrote: These are what I'd call activity cameras, don't consider them security. They only record when there is movement (based on your set sensitivity), which means the batteries (which are an unusual size and are probably available only online) might last 4-6 months under low sensitivity/minimal activity, or in a busy place it might only last a week or two.

I don't have these but research shows they are still excellent for their purpose, i.e. while away, garage monitor, etc.
Netgear calls them security cameras. I'm just using their title.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15176 posts
6581 upvotes
Ottawa
These will be useless as outdoor cameras because they only run on lithiums. In cold weather, they will probably shut down when the battery gets cold soaked. They might be good to record visitors to your front door if you put them inside the window.

Also remember that these run on 4 CR123 batteries..... If you go to Walmart to buy these kinds of batteries, you'll probably pay $10 each for brand name Duracell. That's way too expensive to run these cameras which only last for a few months.

For a more economical battery, I buy batteries made for flashlight brands such as StreamLight or Surefire, which come to less than $3 each.

All in all, this system is going to be expensive to run since there is no option to hardwire the power for these cameras. If they had an option for that (optional AC power), this system would be a lot more versatile.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1087 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: These will be useless as outdoor cameras because they only run on lithiums. In cold weather, they will probably shut down when the battery gets cold soaked. They might be good to record visitors to your front door if you put them inside the window.

Also remember that these run on 4 CR123 batteries..... If you go to Walmart to buy these kinds of batteries, you'll probably pay $10 each for brand name Duracell. That's way too expensive to run these cameras which only last for a few months.

For a more economical battery, I buy batteries made for flashlight brands such as StreamLight or Surefire, which come to less than $3 each.

All in all, this system is going to be expensive to run since there is no option to hardwire the power for these cameras. If they had an option for that (optional AC power), this system would be a lot more versatile.
I like to think that the engineers thought about cold weather and batteries. It's not hard to add a resistor to provide heat to the system. Tesla uses Lithium Ion batteries, and those cars have to run in Canadian Winters.

Although it may cost $40-$80 a year in batteries as you quote $10 per battery, the system gives you wireless freedom without having to run a hardware connection where it may be difficult. To each their own.

Batteries also appear to be had for $4 each https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002IG ... PQKJWRF440
Oct 14, 2009
515 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
ck1223 wrote: I like to think that the engineers thought about cold weather and batteries. It's not hard to add a resistor to provide heat to the system. Tesla uses Lithium Ion batteries, and those cars have to run in Canadian Winters.

Although it may cost $40-$80 a year in batteries as you quote $10 per battery, the system gives you wireless freedom without having to run a hardware connection where it may be difficult. To each their own.

Batteries also appear to be had for $4 each https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002IG ... PQKJWRF440
Batteries are fine outdoors. Ran all winter no problem. Buy batteries off amazon. 30 bucks or less every 6 months. Was more than worth for the 5 minutes of installation. I love these cameras. I wish the deal was better on the single add on unit could use one more
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15176 posts
6581 upvotes
Ottawa
ck1223 wrote: I like to think that the engineers thought about cold weather and batteries. It's not hard to add a resistor to provide heat to the system.
Ummm

heating the system with a resistor will kill the battery even faster. Duracell rates their own lithium cells to drop to 67% capacity at 0C compared to 20C. Heating the battery is inefficient use of the battery. These are much smaller cells with very limited capacity. netgear rates Arlo for 4-6 months with FOUR minutes of daily use). Do you really want these batteries driving a resistor to keep them warm?

One reviewer said "Netgear rates the Arlo Camera operating temperature from -10C to +50C. At -10C you can expect the voltage of the lithium batteries to die very quickly ... I'm talking days not months."

As I said, basically useless for our Canadian winters

edit: I see you guys are in Toronto. Maybe in Toronto they might be ok, but I would not subject these things to winters in Ottawa (at least a normal winter, not the last one)
Jan 15, 2010
436 posts
202 upvotes
battery cost kills the deal. I saw some comments on Amazon.com complained about battery dies within a week because Arlo is put outdoor and the bugs/cars activate the camera frequently.

some other FYI.

1. i think this can be PM'ed at bestbuy.

2. if you have high end Netgear router (like my R7000), you don't need the Arlo recording base station, because the router has the capability to operate as a base station. Instead, you need a external hard drive to record the video.
Jul 8, 2014
426 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I considered this Arlo system anywhere 1 to 4 cameras and ended up with a dlink system hooked to my router and recording 24/7 to my dlink share center. Happier with that than fuss of batteries and "wondering"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8245 posts
604 upvotes
Mind sharing which system you got? Thanks.
DJ4LIFE wrote: I considered this Arlo system anywhere 1 to 4 cameras and ended up with a dlink system hooked to my router and recording 24/7 to my dlink share center. Happier with that than fuss of batteries and "wondering"
Heatware: 36-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5029 posts
481 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Ummm

heating the system with a resistor will kill the battery even faster. Duracell rates their own lithium cells to drop to 67% capacity at 0C compared to 20C. Heating the battery is inefficient use of the battery. These are much smaller cells with very limited capacity. netgear rates Arlo for 4-6 months with FOUR minutes of daily use). Do you really want these batteries driving a resistor to keep them warm?

One reviewer said "Netgear rates the Arlo Camera operating temperature from -10C to +50C. At -10C you can expect the voltage of the lithium batteries to die very quickly ... I'm talking days not months."

As I said, basically useless for our Canadian winters

edit: I see you guys are in Toronto. Maybe in Toronto they might be ok, but I would not subject these things to winters in Ottawa (at least a normal winter, not the last one)
Similarly there are issues with some of the electronic battery powered door locks. Even though they are half inside, some of the harsher winter days in Ottawa make some of them not work at all (like the Kevo). I don't see how these cameras would fare well on colder days.

I have a Hikvision camera outside (I'm in Ottawa), and it works well. It's not wireless, however it's PoE. It has a heater to prevent condensation, and is weather-resistant.