Entrepreneurship & Small Business

netParcel Alternative with Canada Post Option

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 12:13 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2008
112 posts
163 upvotes

netParcel Alternative with Canada Post Option

I'm a big fan of netParcel and even a bigger fan of netParcel via PayPal because it's slightly cheaper yet. However sometimes what I ship is cheaper via Canada Post because it's small and/or rural and I have to jump between netParcel and Canada Post to compare rates.

1. Is there a netParcel alternative that includes Canada Post as one of its carriers? Note that I need a website that allows package drop-off directly to the carrier because I don't live in an area with drop-off points for a website like ChitChats.

2. I don't think I can link my Canada Post account to netParcel so it appears as a carrier, but if I'm wrong i'd love if someone could send me a link showing where to integrate Canada Post.

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2008
112 posts
163 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Have you tried goshippo?
I'm trying it now, but I can't seem to connect my UPS account ("UPS error: Missing or invalid Address StateProvinceCode."). Before I troubleshoot the account setup issue, can you confirm I can drop-off packages directly to the couriers themselves?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47756 posts
8469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
drjohnnyfever wrote: I'm trying it now, but I can't seem to connect my UPS account ("UPS error: Missing or invalid Address StateProvinceCode."). Before I troubleshoot the account setup issue, can you confirm I can drop-off packages directly to the couriers themselves?
I don't see why not. If anything that's the default behaviour for almost every site I can think of.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2008
112 posts
163 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I don't see why not. If anything that's the default behaviour for almost every site I can think of.
Some sites (like ChitChats) require specific drop-off points, but I'm in a rural town so the only drop-off points available to me are the couriers themselves.

Got my UPS account connected but the rates are 3x higher than the UPS rates I'm getting from netParcel! Goshippo isn't going to be the answer but thanks for the suggestion.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47756 posts
8469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
drjohnnyfever wrote: Some sites (like ChitChats) require specific drop-off points, but I'm in a rural town so the only drop-off points available to me are the couriers themselves.

Got my UPS account connected but the rates are 3x higher than the UPS rates I'm getting from netParcel! Goshippo isn't going to be the answer but thanks for the suggestion.
ChitChats is their own service so it's no different than you having to drop off a CP package at CP and not at a UPS dropoff location. It's just a matter of how many locations are available. If they had more locations you wouldn't have that problem.

netParcel has a very good deal with UPS so you will be hard pressed to find something that beats their price unless you are doing a similar volume. In my experience, netParcel always gives better rates unless you are shipping to rural Canada, in which case Canada Post wins.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2008
112 posts
163 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: netParcel has a very good deal with UPS so you will be hard pressed to find something that beats their price unless you are doing a similar volume. In my experience, netParcel always gives better rates unless you are shipping to rural Canada, in which case Canada Post wins.
Agreed! That's my exact experience. I just find it frustrating to have to check rates on both netParcel and Canada Post for every shipment so I was hoping there was another service I was missing with good UPS rates AND Canada Post rates (even if they aren't better).
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47756 posts
8469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
drjohnnyfever wrote: Agreed! That's my exact experience. I just find it frustrating to have to check rates on both netParcel and Canada Post for every shipment so I was hoping there was another service I was missing with good UPS rates AND Canada Post rates (even if they aren't better).
I just use the above as a rule of thumb - I don't check both rates. If it's not rural Canada (say, a 2nd or 3rd tier Canadian city), Canada Post, even if it does give a better rate, is within the dollar at best, so I don't check CP, I just use UPS anyways. My justification is that even if it's cheaper, it's not worth the <$1 difference to me to make a separate drop off. Rural Canada is typically $5+ difference even for the smallest packages, and in those cases I'll do a separate dropoff.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
3749 posts
2429 upvotes
London
i flip flop between netparcel and FREIGHTCOM. the lady at FREIGHTCOM did tell me if i send a screenshot of when netparcel has a better price they will try to match or beat it. netparcel is amazing for shipping to the usa the price blow away canada post or anything else but with in canada its about the same as canada post unless its a super heavy package i find i normally still go netparcel or freightcom since ups will be faster then canada post 99% of the time. the only time canada post is better is for super small item under 2cm that u can squeak by with letter mail since then its only 2-4 bucks vs $10+

ChitChats i believe is the only one offering any discounts on canada post any other places i've found such as printing label via paypal or anyplace else the canada post rate is the same as just signing up for a small biz account and printing the label off the canada post website. ChitChats sucks though because u cant just drop it in the post office u have to be able to drop it at there office to witch there is only a handful of them in canada.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36153 posts
9414 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@aaron158

Do you have a preference between netparcel and freightcom?

I am currently using netparcel, but I don’t like the fact that they randomly charge my PayPal account for dimensional weight. I have a scale and I weigh all my packages. But if I use an irregular box or a big box, they always ding me for dimensional weight. Usually ~3$

Is eShipper still around?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
3749 posts
2429 upvotes
London
Gee wrote: @aaron158

Do you have a preference between netparcel and freightcom?

I am currently using netparcel, but I don’t like the fact that they randomly charge my PayPal account for dimensional weight. I have a scale and I weigh all my packages. But if I use an irregular box or a big box, they always ding me for dimensional weight. Usually ~3$

Is eShipper still around?
there both about the same. id just take pictures of the weight in and the measurement netparcel is pretty good about disputing ups trying to readjust the size and weight of the box if u can prove what u put down was right.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36153 posts
9414 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aaron158 wrote: there both about the same. id just take pictures of the weight in and the measurement netparcel is pretty good about disputing ups trying to readjust the size and weight of the box if u can prove what u put down was right.
How do you submit the pictures?

Top