Careers

Network Administration

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2012 8:27 am
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Network Administration

I have completed Network administration diploma and have certificates like CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNP, and Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching, CompTIA Network+ Linux+ Security+Microsoft MCITP Exchange 2010, MCITP Hyper-V Virtualization, Windows Small Business Server 2008


I have got all these certificates in Canada , Ontario.

Where can I find a best job? and what should I expect for pay??
I am able to move from location to location. Please advice me some company.

and I am only 19 years OLD. please advice me . I am new to this.
31 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10680 posts
3341 upvotes
well from my experience, unless its a large company, i find true network admin doesnt really exist much anymore. alot of that work is passed down to help desk, like my role. Im kinda like helpdesk 2.0, where i cross over into the network admin side of things heavily, and also do helpdesk.

you might not find alot of "network admin" postings, they will be more of a systems analyst.

For pay i would say since you dont have any experience, i would put you around 40k give or take 5k.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
Wow, that's a ton of certificates for a 19-year-old. Biggest problem you're going to have is convincing very skeptical companies that you actually have "skills" despite those certificates and obviously, a lot of aptitude.

I'd expect around $35-$40k/year for that background, and at $40k/year, I doubt you'd have a lot of problems in the GTA.

I know $35-$40k/year might suck, but the field is pretty glutted up.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
ptlr0366 wrote: I have completed Network administration diploma and have certificates like CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNP, and Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching, CompTIA Network+ Linux+ Security+Microsoft MCITP Exchange 2010, MCITP Hyper-V Virtualization, Windows Small Business Server 2008


I have got all these certificates in Canada , Ontario.

Where can I find a best job? and what should I expect for pay??
I am able to move from location to location. Please advice me some company.

and I am only 19 years OLD. please advice me . I am new to this.
Well I also have 4 months work experience, However I did all of these project with group. Like installing and maintaining server 2008.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
ptlr0366 wrote: Well I also have 4 months work experience, However I did all of these project with group. Like installing and maintaining server 2008.
Yeah... The problem is, most companies are headed by 50-something-year-olds, and they just, philosophically, have a problem with 'trusting' people 1/3rd their age to guard their servers. I know it makes no sense -- you're just as professional as anyone else -- but there is definitely veiled age discrimination (against the young) in the field. I've seen it first hand when I used to apply for those sorts of jobs.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote: Yeah... The problem is, most companies are headed by 50-something-year-olds, and they just, philosophically, have a problem with 'trusting' people 1/3rd their age to guard their servers. I know it makes no sense -- you're just as professional as anyone else -- but there is definitely veiled age discrimination (against the young) in the field. I've seen it first hand when I used to apply for those sorts of jobs.
Do you think I should move away from Ontario?? I would love to go to Alberta , Vancouver etc... If I get the job.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
ptlr0366 wrote: Do you think I should move away from Ontario?? I would love to go to Alberta , Vancouver etc... If I get the job.
I suspect you'll have better luck outside the GTA, but there is far less access to 'substinence'-level jobs in IT (ie: basic help desk/tech support/call centers) outside the GTA if you can't find a career-level position in the field immediately. Its a tough one.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
83 upvotes
With your experience, ~40K sounds about right. IMHO you are "over certified" for your experience level. Most sysadmin/network admin worked their way up from help desk, but you look over qualified for that position.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
ptlr0366 wrote: Well I also have 4 months work experience, However I did all of these project with group. Like installing and maintaining server 2008.
So you practically have no experience. That would be the biggest thing that go against you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
You have too many great certificates. It is also interesting that you got your CCIE at your age...there is nothing wrong...but sometimes people might think you used brain dumps...

IT managers will challenge you with tough network questions during the interview...if you can't answer them...then they will wonder how you got your CCIE...then no job offer...
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
world25 wrote: You have too many great certificates. It is also interesting that you got your CCIE at your age...there is nothing wrong...but sometimes people might think you used brain dumps...
Yeah the CCIE without another computer-related designation (ie: an EE degree or a boatload of experience) tends to be fairly problematic. CCIE is generally something that firms will send their senior techs to obtain incidental to being part of the management team for a large network or similar.

Network people are also a dime a dozen, especially with all the people laid off from a prominent equipment manufacturer in Canada that are still in search of jobs even to this day.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Mark77 wrote: Yeah the CCIE without another computer-related designation (ie: an EE degree or a boatload of experience) tends to be fairly problematic. CCIE is generally something that firms will send their senior techs to obtain incidental to being part of the management team for a large network or similar.

Network people are also a dime a dozen, especially with all the people laid off from a prominent equipment manufacturer in Canada that are still in search of jobs even to this day.
I know what you mean , I should have waited before, I only took CCIE,and CCNA voice and 2 more part time courses(weekend), I haven't got the certification yet.
I was studying computer engineering in Humber college, I had completed 3 semester and 3 more to go. <-- I was not sure about engineering since too many graduated and didn't get jobs.
But yes I am pretty good at making java softs <-- not a master but Tried.
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2006
528 posts
104 upvotes
Leave the higher end certifications of your resume, and start applying to entry/intermediate level jobs. Grind out a few years and once you're ready head down to the US. Folks with CCIEs are highly sought after there, 100K+ salaries.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
macalin wrote: Leave the higher end certifications of your resume, and start applying to entry/intermediate level jobs. Grind out a few years and once you're ready head down to the US. Folks with CCIEs are highly sought after there, 100K+ salaries.
Thank you soo much maccalin , one more question. do you think I should keep continuing my comp engineering. I mean its only 1 and half year to go.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
58 upvotes
this guy smells fishy.

CCIE at 19? lolz.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Banned
User avatar
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
36 upvotes
ptlr0366 wrote: I know what you mean , I should have waited before, I only took CCIE,and CCNA voice and 2 more part time courses(weekend), I haven't got the certification yet.
I was studying computer engineering in Humber college, I had completed 3 semester and 3 more to go. <-- I was not sure about engineering since too many graduated and didn't get jobs.
But yes I am pretty good at making java softs <-- not a master but Tried.
Are you a [email protected] or something? Taking some course (from your posts probably from a private scam college too) is completely different from the certification.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 10, 2012
49 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
kabza wrote: Are you a [email protected] or something? Taking some course (from your posts probably from a private scam college too) is completely different from the certification.
Buddy , I preparing for certificates from Humber college.
Banned
User avatar
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
36 upvotes
ptlr0366 wrote: Buddy , I preparing for certificates from Humber college.
Go sit the CCNA and get back to me. The administrators at Humber must be on drugs or something... CCIE course...lol. Like it's some kind of joke.
Banned
User avatar
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
Bskll wrote: this guy smells fishy.

CCIE at 19? lolz.

CCIE's not all that difficult. But usually employers don't hire a CCIE per se -- they hire an EE or a CS grad, who happens to have a CCIE certificate, in addition to all of their other experience/certifications. The salary surveys of CCIE show relatively decent salaries (~$100k, give or take), but this isn't on account of the CCIE technician certificate usually.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
User avatar
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
36 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: CCIE's not all that difficult. But usually employers don't hire a CCIE per se -- they hire an EE or a CS grad, who happens to have a CCIE certificate, in addition to all of their other experience/certifications. The salary surveys of CCIE show relatively decent salaries (~$100k, give or take), but this isn't on account of the CCIE technician certificate usually.
I suggest not to take any advice from this guy. If it's not difficult Mark then why the hell don't you go do the lab and get off these forums and stop whining? The first page illustrated that an EE degree doesn't equate to common sense. And btw EE degree is irrelevant in IP networking, perhaps at the abstract level, but wtf does an EE grad know about BGP? The fact you call it a "technician" certificate is also humorous.

Top