• Feb 7th, 2019 5:53 pm
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA

Network Printing issue - to Brother 9330

Hello all,

I have tried googling this issue to try to resolve it and I am still running into problems so not sure what to try next.

Basic issue, small business, have 3 machines total. One is Windows 10 and the other two are Windows 7. Printer (Brother 9330) had worked fine for many years. Never a problem to print over the network (wifi) or hard wire. Currently just have it set on wifi. Something happened and it started showing the printer as offline even though it is connected to wifi, generates an IP address, says it is "ok" connection, etc. I can ping it from one of my computers (windows 10), I can access the web portal for the printer on that computer as well. I can't seem to print to it though (says it is offline). But, when I run the command prompt in admin I am able to stop/start the print spooler and then it will work for a while to print to the printer. On the two windows 7 machines I can't even ping the printer. The web portal doesn't work either on those two machines.

I figured maybe it was an issue with the network settings on the printer so I even did a factory reset on it and re-connected to wifi but everything seems to be acting the same as before.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

EDIT - Looks like I may have fixed the issue by adding the IP address of printer directly to the printer configuration. Weird that it worked fine before with no additional configuration of IP address on any of the computers. May have something to do with the WSD part of Microsoft.
Last edited by YLSF on Feb 8th, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Wire it to see if it fixes it.

You're also sure that Win10/Printer and Win7s are on the same subnet right?
Can you ping Win7s from your Win10?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Wire it to see if it fixes it.
Thanks for the response,
I didn't get around to doing that because it looks like I maybe found the issue but I am still not 100% of the issue.

The computers are on the same subnet yet (I.e. they all start with ip 192.168.50.xxx which I think means on the same subnet correct?).

In googling I came across mention of WSD port causing issues. I didn't think much of it because my computers/printers were working just fine but it looks like all of the sudden those ports could become activated as the default ports or something... So, I added the static IP address of the printer just to see to the list of the ports under the printer property and sure enough it worked right away on the windows 10 machine and then I went and did the same on the Windows 7 machines and they all show online now and I can print from them.

This link has some of the info
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e97be8d655

Now I am not sure really what happened and if I should try to disable WSD further. I couldn't ping to the printer IP address before but now all of the sudden I can and I can access the web portal for the printer and I can print to the printer. I am heading home soon and I will do some more tests tomorrow to make sure everything is working but I am wondering what changed from before..
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Ah yes... Microsoft stupidity once again.
I'm smarter than your smart services. Quit trying to help, especially when it starts breaking my stuff.

Glad to hear it's fixed at least.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2513 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
I have the same printer and had the same symptoms.. could not figure it out for over a year.
As soon as the printer went to sleep it would not respond to network traffic even if I manually woke it up via the front panel. Only a restart would bring it back onto my home network.
[I emailed Brother support and they never even responded.]
Drove me nuts since the little printing I do is via Airprint.

Turned out to be my router, an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato USB. For some reason it was not allowing the printer to see the rest of the network unless I restarted the printer.
I upgraded to FreshTomato for its adblock feature and it's been fine since.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)