• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 10:58 am
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
394 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa

Network Switch Recommendations

I just signed up with CanNet for their 150/15 plan and so far the speeds are great!

Now I want to move my wifi router (Netgear R7000) up to the main level for better wifi coverage. I need a good, dependable 5 port switch for the basement now so any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
7 replies
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
394 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the quick reply. Amazon.ca for $119, ouch, kinda expensive isn't it for a home network?
I just found my Asus GX-D1081 8 port switch. Says it's gigabit but it's older. Can it do the job do you think?
Whats the advantage of a managed switch , just that you can play around with it a bit?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7040 posts
645 upvotes
BC Interior
snyper81 wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. Amazon.ca for $119, ouch, kinda expensive isn't it for a home network?
I just found my Asus GX-D1081 8 port switch. Says it's gigabit but it's older. Can it do the job do you think?
Whats the advantage of a managed switch , just that you can play around with it a bit?
You should be able to find it for less than half the price, ignore Amazon scammers.

But you can use any dumb swi as above.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2047 posts
1099 upvotes
Alberta
Any switch will work, as long as it's gigabit. They are dirt cheap and all do the same stuff really. If you are asking the question if your old Asus will work (which will very well) , then you don't need a managed switch. Managed switches give you some options to connect to a UI and configure VLANs etc, doubt you would ever need that for your home, at least not for what you are doing.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2006
394 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
Sounds like I'll be fine using my Asus GX-D1081 8 port switch.