• Dec 28th, 2020 7:14 pm
[OP]
Jan 28, 2010
314 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal

Networking Solution - Create Mesh network on top of existing WIFI

Hi RFD!

I'm looking for a solution to create a mesh network, but the main mesh node/router needs to connect to internet thru WIFI(instead of Ethernet).

My landlord has shared internet, but they have all the equipment on different level, so my only access is thru wifi.
(I doubt that the wiring are good enough to get a decent powerline bandwidth)

I currently have ASUS RT-AC3100 router setup in Repeater mode, which basically connects to Landlord's router as a client on Wifi and creates its own Wifi network which all my devices use. It has been working fine, but lately started dropouts, so I am thinking to get a device that can solve my issue at hand (connecting to ISP thru wifi and having my own mesh wifi) but also future proof my networking with Wifi6 as well as ability to use it as real router ( as opposed to buying some Access point device).

What do you guys suggest would be the best suitable device in my situation?
There are plenty of Access Point devices available, but I could not figure out if any of those devices can connect to existing WIFI. I guess all need to connect to ISP thru ethernet (please correct me).

I am thinking to get either Asus Zenwifi xt8 or Amplify Alien router, but both the devices are quite pricey so I am wondering if there is some other device I should get that will serve the purpose.

Plus for Asus Zenwifi xt8 is that I already have RT-AC3100 that supports AiMesh, so it can also be used as a Mesh node if needed.

Any suggestion / recommendation would be very much appreciated!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1460 posts
896 upvotes
Barrie ON
CanadaDealSeeker wrote: I'm looking for a solution to create a mesh network, but the main mesh node/router needs to connect to internet thru WIFI(instead of Ethernet).

It has been working fine, but lately started dropouts, so I am thinking to get a device that can solve my issue at hand
Have you proven that the dropouts you are experiencing, are due to your own equipment, and not the fault of the ISP and the equipment on the landlord's floor?

"Mesh" seems to be the buzzword of the year, and supposedly solves all WI-Fi problem. Have you used a smart phone app similar to Wi-Fi explorer to check the strength of the Wi-Fi signal throughout your apartment?

I am in a 2700 sq-ft , 2 story home. My Asus router is in one corner of the 2nd floor, and I still get an excellent signal in the basement , at the opposite corner.

In other words, unless you have already proven the source of your problem, don't fix anything until you know what is broke.

As a first step, I would make sure the ISP Wi-Fi is strong and steady at the location of your Asus repeater.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2010
314 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Rick007 wrote: Have you proven that the dropouts you are experiencing, are due to your own equipment, and not the fault of the ISP and the equipment on the landlord's floor?

"Mesh" seems to be the buzzword of the year, and supposedly solves all WI-Fi problem. Have you used a smart phone app similar to Wi-Fi explorer to check the strength of the Wi-Fi signal throughout your apartment?

I am in a 2700 sq-ft , 2 story home. My Asus router is in one corner of the 2nd floor, and I still get an excellent signal in the basement , at the opposite corner.

In other words, unless you have already proven the source of your problem, don't fix anything until you know what is broke.

As a first step, I would make sure the ISP Wi-Fi is strong and steady at the location of your Asus repeater.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I did that preliminary analysis already (that is why I have my Asus RT-AC3100 already in place, instead of using landlords Wifi)
The landlord's wifi coverage is not good for the entire apartment, only get good signal in the living room, where I have placed my Asus router and have it serve my floor (coverage is good with that in place)

and yes, my root cause of drop out is Asus, as I find it losing SSID often and require me to reboot the router to start broadcasting.
While the devices in living room (TV for example) stay connected to landlord's wifi.