None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto

Never been on all-inclusive resort before: please enlighten me

I have traveled to a lot of places before, but never to an all-inclusive resort. I am finally thinking of traveling to an all-inclusive resort (most likely in the Bahamas) and would like some help:

1-Can a hotel be both all-inclusive and not? or it is either-or?
2-Are only 4 and 5 star hotels all-inclusive?
3-When they say AI, are they mostly referring to the food and drinks? is there something else?
4-I noticed I can't find any AI resorts in the US (mainly Florida), where should I look?
5-Does AI also include room-service (like in a cruise) or does that depend on the hotel itself?
6-How can I find out a list of all-inclusive resorts for a certain area? when I search, I always have to check the option for 'All Inclusive' otherwise I always get these 'European Plan: no meals'...
7-Are these hotels in Canada that offer all-inclusive?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4976 posts
572 upvotes
Victoria
1) yes
2) no
3) yes but also there is usually some kinds of activities includes like non-motorized watersports etc
4) only one that I know of and it is/was in Hawaii and not very good / not worth it
5) Some do
6) tripcentral.ca has the best matrix for searching for packages. Not sure who offers the best booking incentives now.
7) not that I know of
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18123 posts
9192 upvotes
One of the things to keep in mind is that all-inclusives are generally geared towards being able to spend your entire vacation on the resort: their beach, their pool, their activities, their meals, their drinks. And, quite frankly, one of the reasons for this is because many of the all-inclusives are in third world countries. This sort of setup would be very expensive to replicate in Canada or the US. There are some that offers free meals, but it would be difficult to offer all the options than a typical all-inclusive does where you literally do not need to leave the resort.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13886 posts
1361 upvotes
Also keep in mind that the only thing keeping you from getting food poisoning or being robbed is the resort's reputation. While this is certainly a strong motivator, I mention it because it's sort of a scary prospect when you think about it. If for whatever reason, the resort stopped caring about their revenue stream, your safety would instantly be forfeited.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1217 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on where you go some all inclusive resort may also have free diving as well(not just lessons). A few expensive ones may have golf and other activities included as well.
Use sites like redtag.ca or flightcentre.ca to check for prices. Most of the vacations are all-inclusive. Check tripadvisor rating before booking to get idea of the place. I've stayed at amazing 3-star resorts and horrible 4.5 star resorts in the past.
Nov 20, 2014
25 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get a mug or a tumbler or a thermos! Most AI resorts use small plastic cups and do unlimited refills of booze in your cup!
2. Bring cash with you.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
VestnikCa wrote: Get a mug or a tumbler or a thermos! Most AI resorts use small plastic cups and do unlimited refills of booze in your cup!
2. Bring cash with you.
+1 for the mug. Better for the environment, and better to quench your thirst! Also, Some resorts provides beach towel... Do not loose it, they charge for it. Don't know if it's true, but I heard of some kind of towel racket in some resort where staff steal guests towels and then sell them back cheaper than the resort's price...
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Ho, and if you go to a AI resort (or not AI) please try to be classy and kind to others, do not wake up at 5 AM to put a towel on a chaircat the beach and at the pool to "reserve" a nice place
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10706 posts
3367 upvotes
when I was in cancun last, my hotel had several all inclusive bars, there wasn't even a bartender after 10pm at night, just walk up, grab what you want, was a civilized free for all at the bar.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2276 posts
1673 upvotes
Nova Scotia
A lot of people do recommend bringing your own mug but I disagree. All I want to carry with me when I leave my room is my room key (lanyard) and some small bills (tips). The cups are small but endless. I actually had been served many drinks in larger glasses rather than the small plastic cups [Royal DeCameron in Bucerias] but that was because I did most of my drinking at a lounge, rather than poolside.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
cliffclaven wrote: A lot of people do recommend bringing your own mug but I disagree. All I want to carry with me when I leave my room is my room key (lanyard) and some small bills (tips). The cups are small but endless. I actually had been served many drinks in larger glasses rather than the small plastic cups [Royal DeCameron in Bucerias] but that was because I did most of my drinking at a lounge, rather than poolside.
Everyone's tastes could be different. But carrying a mug, for me, is not a problem. Better (for me at least) having a mug full of beer and sip it on the beach than having a 2 gulps beer glass... same for kids, who are always thirsty, a mug full of drinking water or lemonade and they will be "quiet" for ... few minutes! ;)