• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 1:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
297 posts
41 upvotes

New AC

my AC is going to its end of life soon, so I need to start looking to buy a new one. Never bought an AC before (the existing one is from the old owner).

What should I be looking for?
  • ~1,600 sqft semi detached house (2 storeys), excluding the basement
  • Is there a best "brand" or "type" that I should be paying attention to?
  • Are there better time in the year (more discount offer?) to buy/install an AC?
  • My feeling is they will have to put / install some concrete for the base of the AC in my backyard, what should I know about this?
  • Best company to work with? What about Costco (which only offer Lennox?)
  • I already have Ecobee installed, so planning to keep that

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3021 posts
1362 upvotes
Woodbridge
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: my AC is going to its end of life soon, so I need to start looking to buy a new one. Never bought an AC before (the existing one is from the old owner).

What should I be looking for?
  • ~1,600 sqft semi detached house (2 storeys), excluding the basement 1.5 Ton
  • Is there a best "brand" or "type" that I should be paying attention to? Installation is most important. There are too many corners that can be cut bringing the cost considerably low. Make sure you get a matching original coil. Lennox, Carrier , American Standard are quite reliable and premium brands
  • Are there better time in the year (more discount offer?) to buy/install an AC? Copper and AC prices are going up since the last summer. Last year there were no AC available at any price by the end of season. Best time to install the unit is when you need it.
  • My feeling is they will have to put / install some concrete for the base of the AC in my backyard, what should I know about this? You can either put the AC on slab or have the brackets installed on concrete.
  • Best company to work with? What about Costco (which only offer Lennox?) Solely depends upon your location and choices available. Lennox made excellent AC's
  • I already have Ecobee installed, so planning to keep that No issues at all

Thanks
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10089 posts
9922 upvotes
Markham
I run a very successful Central AC Group Buy on RFD. We are on our 8th year and so far this year, we have had over >100 sales through RFD members alone.

2021 Central AC Group Buy

There is also a feedback thread you can read, that should assure you that the services offered are top notch.

Central AC Group Buy Feedback Thread

All the best to you and your search for an AC.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2840 posts
1501 upvotes
Markham
Anikiri wrote: I run a very successful Central AC Group Buy on RFD. We are on our 8th year and so far this year, we have had over >100 sales through RFD members alone.

2021 Central AC Group Buy

There is also a feedback thread you can read, that should assure you that the services offered are top notch.

Central AC Group Buy Feedback Thread

All the best to you and your search for an AC.
+1 for Craig.
Why can't people use the search function?? This question comes up every 2 weeks.