Personal Finance

New AMEX Gold with 2x points on some purchases, TripFlex and more transfer options

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2011 9:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11657 posts
3139 upvotes
Kingston

New AMEX Gold with 2x points on some purchases, TripFlex and more transfer options

I wasn't able to attend the announcement event, but i don't see any posts from attendees, so here is the newest offering from AMEX:

Highlights
  • Earns 2x Membership Rewards points on gas, groceries, drug store and travel purchases
  • Points can be used to pay for your travel purchases from any vendor (buy how you want, then apply points). 100 points per $1, so 2% return on G,G&D purchases, 1% return on everything else.
  • Transferable 1:1 for a number of airlines and SPG (this is new, old transfer rate was useless)
From AMEX:
Welcome to the Gold Life:
Introducing the American Express Gold Rewards Card

Life’s just golden when the answer is ‘yes.’ With the new American Express® Gold Rewards Card – an entirely new concept in rewards designed with the consumer in mind – Cardmembers earn double Membership Rewards® points on eligible gas, grocery and drugstore purchases, as well as on eligible travel purchases charged to the Card, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and packages. They also earn one point for every dollar in purchases everywhere else – no matter where in the world their journeys take them. What’s more, there’s no cap on the number of points Cardmembers can earn, and points never expire.

What are Membership Rewards® points?
With the American Express Gold Rewards Card, the points Cardmembers earn are called Membership Rewards points. These points can be redeemed for travel, top-brand merchandise and entertainment rewards from over 500 major brands.

Where? How? When?
Points can be redeemed to pay for any travel Cardmembers book, whether it be online or through a travel agent or tour provider. Once travel has been charged to the Card, Cardmembers can pay with points and will not be subject to blackouts. There is also the option to transfer points into other programs.

TripFlexTM Rewards
With TripFlex rewards, Cardmembers have ultimate travel flexibility with their points, allowing them to fulfill their travel dreams. They can charge ANY travel on their Card, including last-minute fares and seat sales – with any provider. After the charge has been posted to their account, Cardmembers simply call American Express at the number on the back of their Card to use their points to cover the charge – including fees and taxes too. They can redeem their points starting at 1,000 points for a $10 statement credit, up to the full amount of the travel purchase – the choice is theirs. The amazing part of TripFlex rewards is that you don’t need to have enough points for your reward at the time of booking - as you have up to 12 months to redeem your points for your trip. That means that you can purchase your travel on your Card, enjoy your vacation, earn more points, and then up to 12 months from the date the travel purchases was posted to your account, redeem your points for that vacation.

Transfer Your Points
Cardmembers can also choose to transfer points instantly one-to-one to Aeroplan. Cardmembers can also choose to transfer points instantly to other frequent flyer and hotel programs, including: Alitalia, British Airways, Delta, Cathay Pacific, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest, and Priority Club (transfer rates vary, SPG rate is 2 MR points to 1 SPG point). Transfers from Membership Rewards allow Cardmembers to take advantage of another program to get the reward they want.

Earn Points “Double-Time” Fast
Points will add up quickly with the rich earning formula on the American Express Gold Rewards Card. Cardmembers will earn double points on eligible travel purchases and also on eligible gas, grocery and drugstore purchases. Additionally, they will earn one point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else.

See the world, on your terms.
Enjoy Financial Flexibility, Maximize Membership Rewards
The American Express Gold Rewards Card is also a smart financial management tool for consumers. As a Charge Card, it offers the convenience of paying with plastic but without carrying a balance and paying interest. This gives Cardmembers the flexibility and spending power they need, as well as a rich rewards program and a robust set of benefits.

Additional Features and Benefits
• 24/7 Worldwide Personal Service
• Emergency Card Replacement
• Online account management
• Front Of The Line (gives Cardmembers access to some of Canada’s hottest concerts, theatre productions and special events before the general public).
• Travel Insurance coverage
o 15-day Out of Province/Country Emergency Medical Insurance
o Trip Interruption Insurance
o Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
o $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
o Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
o Baggage Delay Insurance
o Flight Delay Insurance
o Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
o Travel Emergency Assistance

• Retail Insurance
o Purchase Protection Plan
o Buyer’s Assurance Protection Plan

A new era in rewards is just around the corner with the upcoming launch of the American Express Gold Rewards Card! If you have questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We hope you enjoyed this sneak peak at the new American Express Gold Rewards Card. A full breakdown of the Card and all its details are soon to come!
214 replies
Mar 23, 2004
47077 posts
13233 upvotes
Markham
yes i was the attendee, and i was planning to post the details later today...anyway what u posted was the handout that i got from amex. You also missed that u will get 2 pts per dollar on travel.

It's going to have an annual fee and iirc promotion pts. And it will be announced tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1099 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Wow the tripflex option is really good....
Mar 23, 2004
47077 posts
13233 upvotes
Markham
RBK wrote: Wow the tripflex option is really good....

yip really love that 12 month option compare to 90 days (might be off by a few days) to the aspire, and well also helps that u can redeem part of the expense to get max cb. It really depends how much the annual fee is along with promo pts/annual bonuses since the cap one is a 1.5% travel cb card. But this card can also transfer to aeroplan, spg, ba, balh blah, so u are not limited on to cb AND there is a chance u can get more than 2% back.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1099 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
If the fee is at/less than $120/yr, it woul dbe a better card than the AMEX SPG, wouldn't it? Since SPG is only 1/$1, but with this you get 2/$1 on gas, groceries etc... and if you want to deal with SPG you can still transfer these points earned over to SPG.
Mar 23, 2004
47077 posts
13233 upvotes
Markham
RBK wrote: If the fee is at/less than $120/yr, it woul dbe a better card than the AMEX SPG, wouldn't it? Since SPG is only 1/$1, but with this you get 2/$1 on gas, groceries etc... and if you want to deal with SPG you can still transfer these points earned over to SPG.

well the flexibility to let u put your pts in aeroplan miles, spg, asian miles, BA is worth it imo. Since with those there is a chance for u to get more than 2% back.
Apr 29, 2006
405 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote: well the flexibility to let u put your pts in aeroplan miles, spg, asian miles, BA is worth it imo. Since with those there is a chance for u to get more than 2% back.

Is this replacing the Amex Gold Card? It doesn't seem to be on the site anymore....I wonder if it will be worth switching to this!
Oct 14, 2009
549 posts
521 upvotes
Rothesay
blu3xtc wrote: Is this replacing the Amex Gold Card? It doesn't seem to be on the site anymore....I wonder if it will be worth switching to this!

I just searched for and found the Amex Gold Charge Card on their Canadian website. I have no idea if this is a replacement or enhancement to that card or not, but the existing gold card as an existing annual fee of $150 - ouch! I hope this new card doesn't have an annual fee that high.

Chances are it will be $120 like the rest of the competition.
Mar 23, 2004
47077 posts
13233 upvotes
Markham
blu3xtc wrote: Is this replacing the Amex Gold Card? It doesn't seem to be on the site anymore....I wonder if it will be worth switching to this!

the amex gold is a charge card so i doubt this new card replaces that.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1878 posts
227 upvotes
Any travel? Does that include cab rides and transit fares?
Mar 6, 2010
53 posts
Oakville
When is it being launched? I couldn't find anything on their website.
Mar 6, 2010
53 posts
Oakville
That is the AMEX Small Business Gold card, don't think it is the one people are talking about here because it has been around for some time
Dec 4, 2009
121 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary,AB
guessaaa wrote: http://www.amexforbusiness.ca/product/a ... -card.html

$180 annual fee, waived for the first year. Supplementary cards are $50. 25,000 points after $3000 of purchases in first 3 months. Bonus points at $50,000 (15,000 points) and $100,000 (25,000 points).
Dont get confused. This is a Business Card.

On this thread, they are talking about Personal cards with Rewards,
Feb 11, 2009
27 posts
JWL wrote: See the world, on your terms.
Enjoy Financial Flexibility, Maximize Membership Rewards
The American Express Gold Rewards Card is also a smart financial management tool for consumers. As a Charge Card, it offers the convenience of paying with plastic but without carrying a balance and paying interest. This gives Cardmembers the flexibility and spending power they need, as well as a rich rewards program and a robust set of benefits.
angel_wing0 wrote: the amex gold is a charge card so i doubt this new card replaces that.

OP said it will be a charge card, so it may very well replace the old Amex Gold charge card.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have figured out the mechanics of posting a question on an internet discussion board, yet are seemingly unaware of Google's existence.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
2051 posts
125 upvotes
The Ivory Actuary wrote: OP said it will be a charge card, so it may very well replace the old Amex Gold charge card.

Probably you are right. The main question is, however, when.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19797 posts
2551 upvotes
RBK wrote: If the fee is at/less than $120/yr, it woul dbe a better card than the AMEX SPG, wouldn't it? Since SPG is only 1/$1, but with this you get 2/$1 on gas, groceries etc... and if you want to deal with SPG you can still transfer these points earned over to SPG.

SPG transfer to Aeroplan etc. works out to 1.2 / $1

So SPG card is 1.2 / $1 on everything, while this card is 1 / 1$ on everything and 2 / $1 on gas, groceries, and travel. But, this card lets you redeem at 1% for travel from any site, so is much more flexable.

I might have considered this after my first yr SPG is done... but I am pretty much done with Amex after it is done. Amex is rejected at too many places I go to, it is too big of a pain to work with. If Amex wants to remain competitive they have to lower their merchant fees so it is accepted more.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
47077 posts
13233 upvotes
Markham
The Ivory Actuary wrote: OP said it will be a charge card, so it may very well replace the old Amex Gold charge card.

hmmm, i was told that it was a credit card at the event that night, u know what, going to email the contacts on that print directly to confirm.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8882 posts
5470 upvotes
RBK wrote: Wow the tripflex option is really good....

Its a system that Diners Club has been using for ages. I am surprised more banks don't offer it as it very popular amongst those that use the card.