Credit Cards

NEW AMEX GOLD CARD ON "HIGH ALERT REVIEW*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2021 2:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
13 posts
4 upvotes

NEW AMEX GOLD CARD ON "HIGH ALERT REVIEW*

Could someone please help me. I just got approved for a cobalt and American express gold card. I Got the gold card already activated it started using it, linked my account to make a payments once I activated the card after 3 hours or so, I added my wife as a supplementary cardholder. And then boom all I had done was get gas and 2 online purchases and the card got declined. I called them they said to call back tomorrow, the department that handles this is closed right now. I called back this morning they said someone will call you, your card is on high alert and we cannot discuss anything. I just got the card. Anyone ever has this happen??
21 replies
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1858 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal
You need to give further details. First time with AMEX? Client for how long and how many credit cards have you had? Did you pay annual fees? The same questions for your wife.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 18, 2019
933 posts
509 upvotes
creditbeginner wrote: Could someone please help me. I just got approved for a cobalt and American express gold card. I Got the gold card already activated it started using it, linked my account to make a payments once I activated the card after 3 hours or so, I added my wife as a supplementary cardholder. And then boom all I had done was get gas and 2 online purchases and the card got declined. I called them they said to call back tomorrow, the department that handles this is closed right now. I called back this morning they said someone will call you, your card is on high alert and we cannot discuss anything. I just got the card. Anyone ever has this happen??
Could be a mismatch between your application and credit report.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11822 posts
6885 upvotes
Markham
creditbeginner wrote: Could someone please help me. I just got approved for a cobalt and American express gold card. I Got the gold card already activated it started using it, linked my account to make a payments once I activated the card after 3 hours or so, I added my wife as a supplementary cardholder. And then boom all I had done was get gas and 2 online purchases and the card got declined. I called them they said to call back tomorrow, the department that handles this is closed right now. I called back this morning they said someone will call you, your card is on high alert and we cannot discuss anything. I just got the card. Anyone ever has this happen??
Is your gas transaction the very first transaction? Might be fraud alert. Those not face to face transactions are risky especially if your first a few transaction
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
13 posts
4 upvotes
This is my first Amex card. It's a gold American express I just got approved last week and got the card a day ago. I have never been an Amex client before. My wife I added on as a supplementary card after I got my card the same day, as my first supplementary card is free.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2835 posts
2093 upvotes
Have you tried using the card at a terminal first? Ones where you interact with a cashier, insert your card, and use your PIN or sign?

Did that get declined too?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2624 posts
1074 upvotes
Burnaby
How much were the purchases in short succession for? And what online retailers? That might have triggered a fraud alert.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4349 upvotes
BC
It's not unusual for a new card to get blocked after 1 or a few transactions. The fraud detection algorithm doesn't know your spending pattern yet and is easily triggered. I've had this happen many times with new cards from issuers I never had a card from before.

Just speak to their fraud people, most likely they'll want to confirm your ID and transactions before unblocking the card.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
13825 posts
17947 upvotes
Vancouver
Happened to me once before with a new Amex Gold card. First purchase was for a few bucks. Second purchase was for about $500, it got declined and my phoned buzzed with a security alert from Amex. I just had to call them and say the transaction was legit, all good from there.
Sr. Member
May 26, 2009
578 posts
775 upvotes
Calgary
As others have said, Amex is hypersensitive if it is your first card with them. It's not that unusual. As a side note, I'd recommend paying your first bill a few days early. I've seen a card locked the morning the day payment was due in the first month because they were being skittish. And payment was already posted in the account, but just barely.

Once you have a couple payments down, it will be much better and you shouldn't have any problems with normal transactions.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
13 posts
4 upvotes
Just an update. everything was fine. Security alert and the fact that I applied for cobalt and gold like 3 hours apart. I really didn't even want cobalt. I want to upgrade my gold to platinum, is that hard to do?
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
13 posts
4 upvotes
Just an update. Could someone please help? So I have been spending on my Amex gold card. I roughly spent 4300 paid about 1100 just as early paydown nothing is due yet, but I called today and they said they need to transfer me to the credit team, which was closed today. They said I need to speak to the credit team. I have had the card for less than a month. Could someone shed some light?
Jr. Member
Feb 6, 2019
160 posts
223 upvotes
creditbeginner wrote: Just an update. Could someone please help? So I have been spending on my Amex gold card. I roughly spent 4300 paid about 1100 just as early paydown nothing is due yet, but I called today and they said they need to transfer me to the credit team, which was closed today. They said I need to speak to the credit team. I have had the card for less than a month. Could someone shed some light?
what is your credit limit?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8912 posts
9943 upvotes
The Prairies
creditbeginner wrote: Just an update. Could someone please help? So I have been spending on my Amex gold card. I roughly spent 4300 paid about 1100 just as early paydown nothing is due yet, but I called today and they said they need to transfer me to the credit team, which was closed today. They said I need to speak to the credit team. I have had the card for less than a month. Could someone shed some light?
You say you spent this, and paid that, but you don’t say the reason you called them.
Did you start getting transactions declined?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2017
790 posts
946 upvotes
creditbeginner wrote: its a gold amex card. It's a charge card they gave me no limit.
All Amex charge cards have a hidden limit. It's your first month, and based on your income you put in the application, and Amex's algorithms, you've reached your cap til you pay it off this month. The limit will gradually grow as your spend increases at roughly 2-3x your monthly spend.
💳 Collected: RBC VIP for Private Banking, TD VIP, BMO VIP, HSBC Premier WE MC, Amex PP, Amex BP, Amex BG, Amex Cobalt, BMO WE MC, CDC Indigo
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
13 posts
4 upvotes
yes, i got a decline on a 90 dollar charge. there is no message on my account when I login, but when I called they said I need to talk to the credit department.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2282 posts
1701 upvotes
Montreal, QC
creditbeginner wrote: its a gold amex card. It's a charge card they gave me no limit.
There is a (hidden) limit on their charge cards. Often times, the limit will surprise you (on how low it is).

You can get an idea of your limit if you check your credit report from Transunion (or any probably service which uses Transunion). If you get your free (once a month) credit customer disclosure at https://ocs.transunion.ca/ocs/home.html

As you start using the card more and more, your (hidden) limit will get increased. I believe it is based on your highest spending for a particular month since being a "member" of American Express.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2196 posts
2121 upvotes
Montréal
lmcjipo wrote: There is a (hidden) limit on their charge cards. Often times, the limit will surprise you (on how low it is).

You can get an idea of your limit if you check your credit report from Transunion (or any probably service which uses Transunion). If you get your free (once a month) credit customer disclosure at https://ocs.transunion.ca/ocs/home.html

As you start using the card more and more, your (hidden) limit will get increased. I believe it is based on your highest spending for a particular month since being a "member" of American Express.
There is also the "check spending power" link on the AMEX website where you can test out an amount and see if it is approved.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2012
2282 posts
1701 upvotes
Montreal, QC
admiralackbar wrote: There is also the "check spending power" link on the AMEX website where you can test out an amount and see if it is approved.
Yes you can also do that and doing it on their website is more accurate than what appears on Transunion's credit report since what appears on Transunion is lower than what is accessible for purchases with the card (but it does show something).

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)