New Appliance buying Tips required

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 2:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 29, 2018
25 posts
4 upvotes

New Appliance buying Tips required

I am in the market to buy new Appliances for new build, was looking at different midrange options like Kitchenaid, Bosch, Thermador (Steam oven) etc..

Need to understand is extended warranty really helpful? Some people suggest only manufacturer warranty helps others have lot of clauses of non-coverages and its just a gimmick.

If someone can share experiences with warranties from Costco, Home depot, Canadian Appliance Source etc

Also how to get a good deal out of the shops... I have 4-5 friends who will also buy full set of appliances with me as their closing is near me.

Any inputs will be a great help... Thanks
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17070 posts
14448 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Generally speaking ...

The best place to buy Appliances since the demise of Sears ...
Who used to be top in ALL CATEGORIES for Price, Sales, Promotions, Delivery, Installation, Warranty and after Sales Service / Repairs

Is now Costco

They aren’t as accommodating as Sears on all 7 aforementioned fronts
But they are typically the best there is these days

Downside to Costco
They don’t carry all brands, lines, or models
So you got to do your homework to research the ones they do carry
(Thankfully ... Costco has a reputation of trying to stock the best of stuff, and less crap than other retailers )

The one thing you do need to be aware of
With Covid ... a lot of manufacturing & delivery of goods is being effected
So where Appliances used to take anywhere from immediate delivery to 6-ish weeks
It’s now more a case MONTHS vs weeks of lead time
And headaches of back orders etc

So if you get stuck in limbo waiting for your “Dream appliance” to arrive you may need a temporary back up plan
Like buying a cheaper item to hold you over ...
Or picking up something second hand / used to fill the gap

Covid truly calls for being flexible when it comes to Retailers, Manufacturing, and Shippers
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1743 posts
699 upvotes
Oakville
My friend and I bought similar new construction houses on the same street. We both bought all kitchenaid kitchen appliances through DirectBuy. I see they carry Thermador too. Ordered April, ETA June. Like every other retailer, they're simply the middleman that passes the order directly to the manufacturer. And yes, no other retailer was able to come close to the pricing except...

Cheapest option for Bosch is through their employee pricing portal (requires Perkopolis account which is included free with the Canadian tire mastercard.). According to their website, Bosch only delivers to either you're porch or inside your garage.

RE: Extended Warranty
A few credit cards offer TRIPLE extended warranty (e.g. 1 year becomes 3 years) instead of the usual DOUBLE warranty. Like RBC Preferred Cash World Elite.

Costco has the lowest prices for extended warranty.

According to Yale Appliances, refrigerator and range extended warranties are worth to get. Others not as much.
[OP]
Jun 29, 2018
25 posts
4 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: My friend and I bought similar new construction houses on the same street. We both bought all kitchenaid kitchen appliances through DirectBuy. I see they carry Thermador too. Ordered April, ETA June. Like every other retailer, they're simply the middleman that passes the order directly to the manufacturer. And yes, no other retailer was able to come close to the pricing except...

Cheapest option for Bosch is through their employee pricing portal (requires Perkopolis account which is included free with the Canadian tire mastercard.). According to their website, Bosch only delivers to either you're porch or inside your garage.

RE: Extended Warranty
A few credit cards offer TRIPLE extended warranty (e.g. 1 year becomes 3 years) instead of the usual DOUBLE warranty. Like RBC Preferred Cash World Elite.

Costco has the lowest prices for extended warranty.

According to Yale Appliances, refrigerator and range extended warranties are worth to get. Others not as much.
How is the Diretbuy Membership... is it worth that much.. saw some reviews that their customer service is really bad... How was your experience with them in terms of delivery and all of appliances