Home & Garden

New Asphalt Driveway: How Long Before You Drive on it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2016 11:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON

New Asphalt Driveway: How Long Before You Drive on it?

Builder came yesterday and pour a top layer of asphalt on our driveway.

When I got home yesterday, the asphalt still feels fairy soft....like i can feel slight compression when i push it hard with my finger...
They gave us a paper about not doing dead turns and putting pointy object on it(nothing about how long to wait before driving on it)...but I didn't even feel comfortable driving on it yesterday so I parked on the street.

Question is...for "best result", how long should I wait before driving on it? (I generally wont' park on the driveway so that's not a concern)

I hate driveway where the tires goes are "indented"...since it tends to trap puddle of water...
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
My builder suggested 4 days.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36188 posts
10334 upvotes
Ottawa
Give the paving company a call.
Driving on it ad parking on it is very dependent on what they did underneath the asphalt itself. I would be surprised if they would allow you to even park on it for at least 7 days (longer if the weather is hot). For now, keep everybody and thing off the driveway.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
14920 posts
4358 upvotes
Montréal
Also, put a 'barrier' to prevent ppl from driving on it while it cures.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2004
1486 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Also consider sprinkling water/spraying cold water on it from your hose at night to keep the ashpalt cool and allow it to harden. I realize this may sound absurd to some, but I know this is what people do to speed up the hardening since the sun tends to heat it up quite a bit during the day, the only time for it to really harden is overnight.

http://gaverspavers.com/how-to-care-for ... iveway.htm
[OP]
Member
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
There was actually a layer of asphalt (been there for like 1 year+) before they put the new one in.
The driveway was 1-2 inch lower than the garage with the old asphalt, now it is level with the garage after they put the new asphalt in.
Driveway ease off the the grass on both sides (i.e. no curb)

So ideally 4 days before I even drive on it...? (I won't be parking on it for like...months)
crappy thing is...there is no parking on the street
And there are 5 visitor parking sharing between 30 houses...so it is always full now.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1418 posts
107 upvotes
blackn54 wrote: There was actually a layer of asphalt (been there for like 1 year+) before they put the new one in.
The driveway was 1-2 inch lower than the garage with the old asphalt, now it is level with the garage after they put the new asphalt in.
Driveway ease off the the grass on both sides (i.e. no curb)

So ideally 4 days before I even drive on it...? (I won't be parking on it for like...months)
crappy thing is...there is no parking on the street
And there are 5 visitor parking sharing between 30 houses...so it is always full now.
are you are in livante?
you can drive on it.. just don't park on it
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36188 posts
10334 upvotes
Ottawa
blackn54 wrote: There was actually a layer of asphalt (been there for like 1 year+) before they put the new one in.
The driveway was 1-2 inch lower than the garage with the old asphalt, now it is level with the garage after they put the new asphalt in.
Driveway ease off the the grass on both sides (i.e. no curb)

So ideally 4 days before I even drive on it...? (I won't be parking on it for like...months)
crappy thing is...there is no parking on the street
And there are 5 visitor parking sharing between 30 houses...so it is always full now.
They just added more asphalt on top of old asphalt?
If the old driveway sank 2 or more inches, I suspect the substrate is not what it should be and it will continue to sink. I am not convinced the proper fix was done. I hope that you got some sort of guarantee from the builder that this will not occur again in a couple years.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2400 posts
1371 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: They just added more asphalt on top of old asphalt?
If the old driveway sank 2 or more inches, I suspect the substrate is not what it should be and it will continue to sink. I am not convinced the proper fix was done. I hope that you got some sort of guarantee from the builder that this will not occur again in a couple years.
It's not that it sank 2", they pave it in 3 steps. Put the stone down and level it, let it settle for a few months, apply first layer of asphalt, then 4-6months later depending on time of year they put on second layer to bring it to grade.
Member
User avatar
Nov 14, 2013
498 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
kid_icarus wrote: Also consider sprinkling water/spraying cold water on it from your hose at night to keep the ashpalt cool and allow it to harden. I realize this may sound absurd to some, but I know this is what people do to speed up the hardening since the sun tends to heat it up quite a bit during the day, the only time for it to really harden is overnight.

http://gaverspavers.com/how-to-care-for ... iveway.htm
Yeap, we had ours done last year when it was really hot. Watered it for 3-4 days to quicken the process. Did the bicycle test to see if it was good getting the cars parked on it
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36188 posts
10334 upvotes
Ottawa
schade wrote: It's not that it sank 2", they pave it in 3 steps. Put the stone down and level it, let it settle for a few months, apply first layer of asphalt, then 4-6months later depending on time of year they put on second layer to bring it to grade.
That is the first I ever heard of that. I have had a number of homes and have had driveways paved and never heard or have been told to do that. My Son has had 2 brand new houses and has the driveways paved and they never sank.
I think someone sold you a bad bill of goods if that is what you were told.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1642 posts
798 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Pete_Coach wrote: That is the first I ever heard of that. I have had a number of homes and have had driveways paved and never heard or have been told to do that. My Son has had 2 brand new houses and has the driveways paved and they never sank.
I think someone sold you a bad bill of goods if that is what you were told.
Mattamy does that as well, layer of stones, first layer of driveway as the ground needs to settle hence the sinking and then the final year months after
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2400 posts
1371 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: That is the first I ever heard of that. I have had a number of homes and have had driveways paved and never heard or have been told to do that. My Son has had 2 brand new houses and has the driveways paved and they never sank.
I think someone sold you a bad bill of goods if that is what you were told.
It's not what I was told, it's how they do it. My driveway was done like this along with 100+ other driveways in my subdivision. I see the exact same process in. Any other new subdivisions I drive past
Sr. Member
Aug 24, 2006
752 posts
181 upvotes
Woodbridge
Yep. Our development was done exactly the same way, in 3 stages.
[OP]
Member
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: They just added more asphalt on top of old asphalt?
If the old driveway sank 2 or more inches, I suspect the substrate is not what it should be and it will continue to sink. I am not convinced the proper fix was done. I hope that you got some sort of guarantee from the builder that this will not occur again in a couple years.
It didn't "sink"...
like other said, the first asphalt was lay lower...then they come back to do the final layer sometimes later (in my case, it was 1 year)
The same is done in 100s of other houses in my subdivision...and as far as I know this is pretty standard for new built.


So I should spray water on it at night to quicken the hardening?? (It doesn't seem counter intuitive...but what do i know lol)
Should I just "mist" it or coat the whole thing with water...???
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36188 posts
10334 upvotes
Ottawa
awais wrote: Mattamy does that as well, layer of stones, first layer of driveway as the ground needs to settle hence the sinking and then the final year months after
schade wrote: It's not what I was told, it's how they do it. My driveway was done like this along with 100+ other driveways in my subdivision. I see the exact same process in. Any other new subdivisions I drive past
TheLastOne wrote: Yep. Our development was done exactly the same way, in 3 stages.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, if that is the way, it must be a GTA thing. It is not done that way in my area.
My Son has a new Mattamy home and they did not do it that way.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5825 posts
2976 upvotes
Thornhill
blackn54 wrote: There was actually a layer of asphalt (been there for like 1 year+) before they put the new one in.
The driveway was 1-2 inch lower than the garage with the old asphalt, now it is level with the garage after they put the new asphalt in.
Driveway ease off the the grass on both sides (i.e. no curb)

So ideally 4 days before I even drive on it...? (I won't be parking on it for like...months)
crappy thing is...there is no parking on the street
And there are 5 visitor parking sharing between 30 houses...so it is always full now.
Also in Markham here, had the same issue height differential as you. I was told can drive on it after 48 hours out not park for at least 4. I did just that and it was fine.
Banned
Apr 12, 2016
8 posts
Toronto
You can drive and park on your new driveway after 24 hours. It can take up to 12 months for the asphalt to harden and cure. Take extra care during hotter days. Pointed items such as kick stands, motorcycles, chairs, and car ramps may cause depressions. Never turn the wheel of your vehicle when in the stopped position. Don’t park in the same spot every day.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
We had our driveway completely redone in late June. We kept off it for 7 full days, but unfortunately it is damaged (small ruts) by someone pulling in our & of our driveway after that date (people often turn into our driveway to get turned around for parking on the street).
Member
Feb 10, 2015
333 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
blackn54 wrote: Builder came yesterday and pour a top layer of asphalt on our driveway.

When I got home yesterday, the asphalt still feels fairy soft....like i can feel slight compression when i push it hard with my finger...
They gave us a paper about not doing dead turns and putting pointy object on it(nothing about how long to wait before driving on it)...but I didn't even feel comfortable driving on it yesterday so I parked on the street.

Question is...for "best result", how long should I wait before driving on it? (I generally wont' park on the driveway so that's not a concern)

I hate driveway where the tires goes are "indented"...since it tends to trap puddle of water...
What did they charge per square foot?

Top