New Build cracks basement

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 4:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes

New Build cracks basement

Hey guys, my house is 8 months old and I noticed there is a lot of cracks on my concrete basement floor. The length of some of them is 6-8 feet and there is like 8 of them all over the place. I read that it has to be 4mm to be warranty, but I would say most are around 3mm in width. Is there a company that can come seal all the cracks and then paint/seal the floor? Should I do it this year or wait another year for everything to settle? I noticed the cracks this week after the cold temps, they weren't there a few months back.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4803 posts
1334 upvotes
If you have a warranty, I'd mention it to them.

Beyond that, I'd wait a full year (at least) before addressing it. I'd want to see if there are any issues after a good spring thaw.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9665 posts
9119 upvotes
Markham
If the cracks aren't wider than was it 5mm? I am not sure about the number, then they wont do anthing. Read your Tarion warranty brochure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8938 posts
10112 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Anikiri wrote: If the cracks aren't wider than was it 5mm? I am not sure about the number, then they wont do anthing. Read your Tarion warranty brochure.
Exactly. Cracks are pretty normal but people think their house is falling down. The big area of concern is is the crack is big or shaped to suggest their is some type of voiding underneath which will require further investigation. For these types that the OP has...after the expiry of warranty I’d just fill them with a rubberized cement.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sakret ... 1000684800

“Cracks resulting from normal shrinkage are acceptable; however, cracks in excess of 4 mm in width are not acceptable.”

https://www.tarion.com/cpg/foundation-b ... or-cracked
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5651 posts
3410 upvotes
The concrete floor in your basement serves no purpose other than to cover the dirt. And some cracks are normal. If you plan to finish your basement you are going to cover it anyways.

As long as it doesn’t sound hollow underneath I wouldn’t worry about it.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11656 posts
8094 upvotes
GTA, ON
If they don't fix and it bothers you that much, you can always caulk it, but like everyone else says, just leave it.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes
I measured the cracks, they aren't wide enough that the builder will fix, so I'll have to fix them myself in a few months. Some of the cracks do a full circle in areas which concerns me that there might be a void underneath and it can sink.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
vrscdx wrote: Hey guys, my house is 8 months old and I noticed there is a lot of cracks on my concrete basement floor. The length of some of them is 6-8 feet and there is like 8 of them all over the place. I read that it has to be 4mm to be warranty, but I would say most are around 3mm in width. Is there a company that can come seal all the cracks and then paint/seal the floor? Should I do it this year or wait another year for everything to settle? I noticed the cracks this week after the cold temps, they weren't there a few months back.
I wouldn't do anything yet. Wait for your 1 year inspection and see if the cracks get bigger. If not still get them listed on your 1 year report.
Mar 17, 2006
582 posts
295 upvotes
You know when they say that there are 2 certainties in life (death and taxes), allow me to add a third ... concrete will crack.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5651 posts
3410 upvotes
vrscdx wrote: I measured the cracks, they aren't wide enough that the builder will fix, so I'll have to fix them myself in a few months. Some of the cracks do a full circle in areas which concerns me that there might be a void underneath and it can sink.
If there truly is a void (unlikely) sealing the cracks isn’t going to do anything anyways.

But ... It doesn’t hurt to have the builder have a look at it if you are worried. So have them come out and give you their opinion on it.
Feb 24, 2017
141 posts
203 upvotes
ur_too_crazy wrote: You know when they say that there are 2 certainties in life (death and taxes), allow me to add a third ... concrete will crack.
Exactly. There's two types of concrete: concrete that is cracked, and concrete that is going to crack. I just bought a brand new place and unfortunately there is a shrinkage crack in the garage. I'll wait until spring and then do an epoxy coating.