None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

new build. HHD nearly touching

Purchased an ITX case for my ITX motherboard.

According to the specs, the Cooler Master Elite 130 mini ITX is supposed to handle 3 HHD.

However, two of them are touching.

Top: Hitachi 2TB HHD
Bottom: Seagate 5TB HHD

Will it be fine like this? I'm worried the vibrations might reduce the life of the drives
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28920 posts
9422 upvotes
HHD? You bought three hybrid drives? That seems a little silly since an HHD is mainly only useful for an OS drive, no?

Anyway they are fine like that. If you want to make sure they don't chafe/mark each other just put a strip of electrical tape on both (just make sure not to cover any vent holes on the drives).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
ES_Revenge wrote: HHD? You bought three hybrid drives? That seems a little silly since an HHD is mainly only useful for an OS drive, no?

Anyway they are fine like that. If you want to make sure they don't chafe/mark each other just put a strip of electrical tape on both (just make sure not to cover any vent holes on the drives).
HDD*

So assuming heat is not an issue, the two drives won't kill each other?
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28920 posts
9422 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: HDD*

So assuming heat is not an issue, the two drives won't kill each other?
Heat is always an issue and some cases will cool drives better than others. Obviously in large ATX cases you're probably going to get better drive cooling than tiny ITX cases. I don't really know that people really care to put even a single HDD, never mind multiple HDDs in an ITX case, but up to you. The case does hold them but cooling? Well you should at least keep your eye on the drive temperatures and make sure you have a fan(s) in locations that will at least give them some airflow.

That small area that the drives are [nearly] in contact isn't really that bad. There are some full size ATX cases that have mounts such that if you fill them all, the drives are just as close and are totally overlapping each other, meaning it's worse thermally. I wouldn't worry about that tiny little area, I'd just worry about the airflow in the case in general. If you find the temps to be fine on the drives, then you shouldn't have problems. If the temps are higher than you'd like, you may have to have your fan speeds higher than you might like as well. Acoustically speaking this may be annoying, depending on how much use those drives get and how hot they get. It's easy to setup Speedfan to increase a fan(s) speeds to compensate when the drives hit whatever temperature but otherwise you can just count on whatever fans you select to keep things cool.

As a side note, I have an SG06 build but I'd never even dream of putting in an HDD in it (or basically any other machine in this day and age); a NAS or server is recommended/more ideal, particularly when you're dealing with smaller cases/builds.