• Jan 31st, 2023 5:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto

New build what to reuse/buy?

My current system (3770K) is acting up so may as well take this opportunity to build a new box and just about everything is telling me to upgrade from Windows 7 (tried 8 and 10 didn't like them too much), now which parts should I keep/reuse?

I know I'm going to keep 2 storage drives as they are only 2-3 years old and my 3070ti but should I reuse my:

Nocuta D14 (with new fans and free mounting kit) or buy a new cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4/D15)?

Reuse my PSU (XFX 1000watt), its got the juice but it's 10 years old?

Lastly, not sure which motherboard to get? Right now the 2 I'm considering are the Gigabyte Aorus Master and the Asus Strix E Gaming.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
3730 posts
2536 upvotes
I would think your cooler should be fine and as long as your power supply has at least a couple PCI-E connectors for your video card you should be fine as well.

As for the motherboard what CPU are you getting?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
What do you mean "acting up"? If it's not a motherboard problem and current system meets your needs otherwise, just get a SSD (you didn't say what your current boot drive is), fresh install of Windows 10 (you said you didn't like it, but it's the best option), which is still free, and it should be fine. Will seem super fast if you currently have a hard drive and your Windows 7 is sluggish due to many things installed over the years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Already have an SSD MX300 750GB on the current system, but won't reuse it on the new build.

The motherboard sometimes doesn't past POST, sometimes doesn't recognize the boot drive and same with the USB connectors.

The CPU will probably be a 13xxx series for RFD browsing by me and editing by the basically permanent "roommate."
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Re-use what you can. And that definitely sounds like a dying mobo ^^
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
I'd keep the D14, unless you're considering crazy overclocking. I think there are newer 4pin pwm Noctua Redux fans that'll fit the D14. PSU can try it and see what happens. Even if it's only able to out put 80% of 1000w , 800w is plenty for a 3070ti and a non overclocked CPU.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Reuse all that you mentioned. They'll work fine in a new machine. Reuse your keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers/headphones too.

If anything, you could choose to get a new case if you're itching to spend money. I almost did just to have current front panel USB ports, but decided to keep my old case and just reach back to plug any USB cables to the motherboard. Saved me $500 on my mini ITX (I was planning on the Cooler Master NR200P MAX) and now six months later I don't miss using the front panel ports at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
3730 posts
2536 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Already have an SSD MX300 750GB on the current system, but won't reuse it on the new build.

The motherboard sometimes doesn't past POST, sometimes doesn't recognize the boot drive and same with the USB connectors.

The CPU will probably be a 13xxx series for RFD browsing by me and editing by the basically permanent "roommate."
For DDR4 system I would go with this, good motherboard without wi-fi but with BIOS flashback, there is a wi-fi version available for $30 more.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/tyjX78

Or if you want to go DDR5 go with this, again this non wi-fi there is a wi-fi version available.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QLWYKp
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
The only thing I'd hesitate to reuse is the power supply. It's a quality unit (made by seasonic?), but I'd swap it out soon.

For motherboards, Asus and MSI have given me the least headaches.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Only reason I'm considering buying a new cooler is because of the cost of new fans, by the time I get 2 new static pressure fans it's 40%+ of DRP4/D15.

Most likely going to visit ME within the next few weeks.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
BeaverLiquor wrote: Only reason I'm considering buying a new cooler is because of the cost of new fans, by the time I get 2 new static pressure fans it's 40%+ of DRP4/D15.

Most likely going to visit ME within the next few weeks.
Then at that point, might as well create an entire new build, if that's the cost of the fans alone. Only things worth keeping are storage drives and GPU. I personally would go with a fresh PSU to be safe since the old one is 10 years old. At this point, why risk it? Also, a get a newer NVMe storage drive for BOOT/OS, and since everything is USB 3.1/3,2, USB-C might as well look into a better case as well.

Maybe find a used working motherboard for the 3770K system and purpose it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
heyyahblah wrote: Then at that point, might as well create an entire new build, if that's the cost of the fans alone. Only things worth keeping are storage drives and GPU. I personally would go with a fresh PSU to be safe since the old one is 10 years old. At this point, why risk it? Also, a get a newer NVMe storage drive for BOOT/OS, and since everything is USB 3.1/3,2, USB-C might as well look into a better case as well.

Maybe find a used working motherboard for the 3770K system and purpose it?
Didn't realize how expensive fans have gotten, used to be $15 for my Noctua 140mm, now they're about $30 for the same fan, thought I could find some cheaper static fans but they're all about the same price.

I'm most likely going to turn my current setup into a network storage box.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Can always check out the Thermalright coolers that are fairly economical with good performance. The PA120 is a 6 heatpipe dual tower 120mm fans cooler at $50.. https://a.co/d/gwl4qOf

Their new PS120SE is a 7 Heatpipe dual tower cooler thats at $46 right now https://a.co/d/dN7JGA4

The fans are "OK".. definitely not upto Noctuas, but if you're not too sensitive to noise then the thermalright fans should be acceptable.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto

Used to have an XP90, but the PS120SE maybe a good stop gap until Noctua releases the next gen D15 in Q4.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)