Automotive

New to Canada! What to do in case of a collision?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2016 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 23, 2016
11 posts
Mississauga, ON

New to Canada! What to do in case of a collision?

So I live in Mississauga and I hear about tow truck operators and how they cheat! I wanted to know what do I need to do incase of a collision and which tow truck company do I need to call if I may need one!

Thanks! :)
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO
pammyg1981 wrote: So I live in Mississauga and I hear about tow truck operators and how they cheat! I wanted to know what do I need to do incase of a collision and which tow truck company do I need to call if I may need one!

Thanks! :)
You call your insurance company first and they'll guide you on what to do
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zakregent wrote: You call your insurance company first and they'll guide you on what to do
Not that simple depending on where the collision happens. If it happens say on the 400 series, OPP is not going to wait for your preferred towing method and will let one of the vultures remove your car to clear traffic ASAP.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1717 posts
529 upvotes
^ I always thought about that. Would the vultures just tow it to a collision centre?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
slidxe wrote: ^ I always thought about that. Would the vultures just tow it to a collision centre?
They'll tow it to where you tell them to tow it. But they'll pressure you to take it to "a guy that he knows".
Oct 3, 2007
28 posts
23 upvotes
zakregent wrote: You call your insurance company first and they'll guide you on what to do
call preferably your insurance broker. or company and get towed to an approved shop.
stay away from Lyon_ auto body. see review on internet pls note i purposely left last letter off . so it not flaming
Jul 4, 2008
90 posts
11 upvotes
Mississasuga, ON
Get a CAA membership. Its worth its cost.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
slidxe wrote: ^ I always thought about that. Would the vultures just tow it to a collision centre?
steve-0101 wrote: They'll tow it to where you tell them to tow it. But they'll pressure you to take it to "a guy that he knows".
Yup, the vultures will pressure you to tow it the "best" shop in town. That said, OPP only wants the highway to be cleared so you can have the car towed to the nearest exit off the highway and leave it there till your preferred tow truck arrives.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2016
228 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Get CAA. Call your insurance company first of course. Theyll assist you with the accident. But make sure you have CAA in your backpocket either way.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2359 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Not that simple depending on where the collision happens. If it happens say on the 400 series, OPP is not going to wait for your preferred towing method and will let one of the vultures remove your car to clear traffic ASAP.
If you need a flatbed are you SOL?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
find a bodyshop you trust now, so if you ever do get into an accident, you know exactally where you want the car sent. If you dont care for a body shop, then take it to the one insurance tells you. But never follow their advice.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Straight from the government of ontario as to what to do:
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... dents.aspx

If you would like to know about a tow truck operator, call your insurance company and ask how they would like you to handle it. If your vehicle is disabled to the point of needing a tow truck, then most likely the claim is of high value and you will go through insurance. Advise them you want to be prepared so you are not taken advantage of, and so that they cover all costs related to the tow.
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
You could also be proactive and call your insurance company before an accident occurs to see what the policy is on tow companies.

If you are forced to have one of the 'on-site' (vulture) tow companies move your vehicle, have them drop your car off at the nearest parking lot and then go through the insurance recommended tow company from there.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Adams06 wrote: You could also be proactive and call your insurance company before an accident occurs to see what the policy is on tow companies.

If you are forced to have one of the 'on-site' (vulture) tow companies move your vehicle, have them drop your car off at the nearest parking lot and then go through the insurance recommended tow company from there.
Will the insurance company pay the hook up/towing fees to parking lot, then ones more to the body shop?
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
shoppingkart wrote: Will the insurance company pay the hook up/towing fees to parking lot, then ones more to the body shop?
Not sure because I haven't personally dealt with an accident that needed immediate removal from the scene. I think, based on what I have read in this forum, that the insurance company will reimburse the hook up and towing fee to have your car moved from the scene of the accident, as long as you provide a receipt to them.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2419 posts
971 upvotes
new to canada, good, there are a lot of ***** and tricks, read the word on your plate, "ontario - yours to discover", right?
the best thing can do before everything is to get Dashcam, and always tow to DEALER.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2419 posts
971 upvotes
new to canada, good, there are a lot of ***** and tricks, read the word on your plate, "ontario - yours to discover", right?
the best thing can do before everything is to get Dashcam, and then always tow to DEALER or your HOME.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Yup, the vultures will pressure you to tow it the "best" shop in town. That said, OPP only wants the highway to be cleared so you can have the car towed to the nearest exit off the highway and leave it there till your preferred tow truck arrives.
That's fine and dandy but who pays for the hook up charge and disconnect charge on the off ramp and wait for your caa to show up, I show how feel that the vulture will not let your car down if he hasn't seen any money?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
i could care less about traffic being backed up in an accident, call your insarance, they have 24 hour claims agents and let them handle everything.
Jan 3, 2005
716 posts
159 upvotes
If you've been involved in an accident you can just have your car towed to a Collision reporting centre which is where you need to go anyway, and have your car released there. You are not obligated to let the original tow truck continue the tow. You will be provided a phone to call your insurance company and they in-turn will make whatever arrangements to get your car from there to a repair centre.