New Car Warranty Voiding - DIY Parts

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2020 3:41 pm
Apr 20, 2011
898 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough

New Car Warranty Voiding - DIY Parts

My 2018 BMW X1 suffered some damage to the passenger side mirror. I need to replace the housing and glass, which is pretty simple to do myself. If I buy these parts online say from:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/

Would I be voiding my new car warranty?

Alternatively, are there any authorized BMW parts places in the GTA where I can buy the parts without voiding the warranty or do I need to go to BMW dealership?
Last edited by dainfamous41 on Jan 18th, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
No.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote: I won't be voiding my warranty if I buy online?
The legislation is clear. If a carmaker wants to use this against you then they will have to prove it.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
If you have issues in the future with the (newer) glass/housing, you would take it up with the manufacturer of those parts. As far as BMW is concerned, any non related issue is not going to going to be voided due to a mirror.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
dainfamous41 wrote: My 2018 BMW X1 suffered some damage to the passenger side mirror. I need to replace the housing and glass, which is pretty simple to do myself. If I buy these parts online say from:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/

Would I be voiding my new car warranty?

Alternatively, are there any authorized BMW parts places in the GTA where I can buy the parts without voiding the warranty or do I need to go to BMW dealership?
Basically BMW would have to prove that the non-OEM parts caused whatever problem you have. Obviously the new mirror wouldn't be covered by BMW. If your engine blew up, they would have to prove that the mirror caused it to blow up.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
If you are so worried about the factory warranty just bend over and pay the dealer price for the mirror.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My biggest concern with the aftermarket housing would be the colour matching...
Apr 20, 2011
898 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks for the help. Isnt GetBMWParts selling OEM parts?

The part numbers are the same on their website as to what the dealer quoted me.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dainfamous41 wrote: Thanks for the help. Isnt GetBMWParts selling OEM parts?

The part numbers are the same on their website as to what the dealer quoted me.
“OEM”

There are parts such as brake pads/rotors that are made by the same manufacturer just not stamped “BMW” and it’s an “OEM” replacement with the same model numbers. Is this car a lease? If so and this part isn’t an OEM BMW stamped part and is discovered you will be on the hook for the proper replacement/labour.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
Using non OEM makes the returned lease a non CPO bimmer.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: “OEM”

There are parts such as brake pads/rotors that are made by the same manufacturer just not stamped “BMW” and it’s an “OEM” replacement with the same model numbers. Is this car a lease? If so and this part isn’t an OEM BMW stamped part and is discovered you will be on the hook for the proper replacement/labour.
I don't know enough about BMWs but colour me surprised when I looked at the same MANN parts that my old Mercedes used to use which were not OEM. After counting the number of folds in a cabin air filter, as an example, the OEM ones were still better built.

So all this being said I'm just careful when it comes to reading things like this. Sometimes what appears to be the same as OEM isn't.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
LOL "void warranty". No you won't void the warranty but note you won't have warranty on the part you replaced with a used/aftermarket, etc. part. If you buy original BMW parts, then they will have their own warranty (typically one year) but that part you replaced will no longer be covered by the overall new vehicle warranty. Same thing would happen if you replaced a part like that at a stealership though. Not like mirrors really fail much anyway.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
angryaudifanatic wrote: I don't know enough about BMWs but colour me surprised when I looked at the same MANN parts that my old Mercedes used to use which were not OEM. After counting the number of folds in a cabin air filter, as an example, the OEM ones were still better built.

So all this being said I'm just careful when it comes to reading things like this. Sometimes what appears to be the same as OEM isn't.
Like I said for a lot of parts it’s just the stamping. But for a mirror housing I’d be iffy on the colour match if not original OEM.
Sep 8, 2012
202 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
GetBMWParts will be selling genuine BMW parts, I believe they are a US dealer, but that may cause you problems in that they are unlikely to ship to Canada. BMW won't allow US dealers to sell to Canadians so unless you ship them to a US address it may be a challenge.

For buying genuine BMW parts there aren't many options, you can try various dealer's online parts sites. There are also some discounts available for BMW Club memberships, e.g. Pfaff dealerships provide a discount for BMW CCA Trillium club members and I believe the same discount also applies for BMW True North members. I believe at least Pfaff, Policaro and Endras all offer online parts sites, they usually link to them from their dealer websites, it is worth noting that pricing on their online sites can differ significantly from their dealer parts counters.

I don't think colour match should be a consideration, I suspect the parts are primed and unpainted unless we're simply talking about gloss black and non-body colour items. As others have said, warranty on the rest of the vehicle will be entirely unaffected by the mirror. If the vehicle is a lease it may be a bit more of a concern but unless the part is very obviously of inferior quality I can't really see it being noticed.