Automotive

New cars sitting in dealership lots - how do they maintain?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2018 10:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal

New cars sitting in dealership lots - how do they maintain?

I'm curious about what dealerships have to do in order to maintain cars that have literally been sitting in lots for 1-3 years, do they have to drive them or warm the engine or anything of the sort to keep them roadworthy? They can't just leave them sitting there untouched for years, right?

How do they balance keeping them 'new' vs putting mileage/wear on them w/ any presumed maintenance measures?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1410 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Curious about this too, seems like a lot of work. I drive by a lot full of new Mercedes regularly in Vaughan and always look out for this new AMG GT that I am pretty sure has not moved from its spot since the summer ...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17836 upvotes
Toronto
that's their trophy cars. They have no intention to sell them, maybe they want full MSRP $ for them, hence, they will simply sit there and let mother nature takes care of it.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2073 posts
2213 upvotes
Toronto
Best case it would have a battery trickle charger attached to it.

Otherwise it would just sit there and they would address any issues with the vehicle on delivery.

Maybe it would get moved around from time to time.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
xjesterxx wrote: Best case it would have a battery trickle charger attached to it.

Otherwise it would just sit there and they would address any issues with the vehicle on delivery.

Maybe it would get moved around from time to time.
That's what I'm ignorant about, what issues could pop up if they left it untouched (save for dead spots on the tires)?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1555 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
fluids will need to be changed, wipers, brakes
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2073 posts
2213 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: That's what I'm ignorant about, what issues could pop up if they left it untouched (save for dead spots on the tires)?
Well it depends how long we're talking about here, and where the vehicle is sitting.

If it's in the showroom with a battery maintainer, it will be moving every now and again, and I doubt you'd get flat spots.

There shouldn't be many cars sitting for more than 300 - 400 days at any dealership.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
xjesterxx wrote: Well it depends how long we're talking about here, and where the vehicle is sitting.

If it's in the showroom with a battery maintainer, it will be moving every now and again, and I doubt you'd get flat spots.

There shouldn't be many cars sitting for more than 300 - 400 days at any dealership.
1-3 years, so if kept indoors, if they do the battery trickle and move it around (to avoid flat spots), everything else should be alright? Another poster mentioned brake fluid needs to be changed. Nothing needs to be done re the engine?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1906 posts
2019 upvotes
New ones will generally be in "transport mode" or have a fuse removed to disable battery draining components. Batteries can last for a long time this way.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17836 upvotes
Toronto
just an example near my office as I do my regular lunch break walks every day. There is a Ford/Lincoln dealer with a beige color Lincoln MKZ (should be MY2018) parked in front of the dealer since Mar 2018 (at least), the car has probably been moved a couple of times at the early going and since then, it sat there untouched. I can see the brake rotors are rusted heavily, tires seem to be have lost some air and the paint is totally neglected and would need a real pro to get that corrected if sold.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
Yup, I'm not really concerned about the battery, that's easily replaceable. Just wondering if any long-term detrimental effects if the dealer doesn't properly maintain, if any steps are necessary at all, besides trickle charger and changing brake fluid and moving it around periodically to avoid flat spots.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1950 posts
727 upvotes
Kitchener
one of the reasons when i do buy new, I do a factory order rather than buying off the lot.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8296 posts
7199 upvotes
peelhic wrote: one of the reasons when i do buy new, I do a factory order rather than buying off the lot.
Not every car has that option and buying off lot sometimes gives you the best discounts because there is associated storage cost to dealers.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4205 posts
1178 upvotes
Mississauga
I assume they unplug the battery and the gas already has stabilizer added in.

Maybe bring a jump starter and some fuel with them in case when picking up the car if it's been sitting for too long on their storage lot?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2073 posts
2213 upvotes
Toronto
peelhic wrote: one of the reasons when i do buy new, I do a factory order rather than buying off the lot.
This is the safest plan if you have the time and money.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19538 posts
12603 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
billford wrote: New ones will generally be in "transport mode" or have a fuse removed to disable battery draining components. Batteries can last for a long time this way.
A long time is relative... Lead Acid batteries typically self-discharge at a rate of 10% per month so after 6 months the battery is close to empty even without those battery draining components.
Oct 15, 2008
283 posts
238 upvotes
canada
My brand new, 11km Mazdaspeed 3 (manufactured Sept 2009, sold Dec 2010) was delivered with an etched bird shit patch on the rear hatch, a nice long scratch on the upper panel near the roofline, and two wasp nests. The nests were empty, so I feel a bit cheated out of my free bees.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8993 posts
1949 upvotes
Elusivellama wrote: My brand new, 11km Mazdaspeed 3 (manufactured Sept 2009, sold Dec 2010) was delivered with an etched bird shit patch on the rear hatch, a nice long scratch on the upper panel near the roofline, and two wasp nests. The nests were empty, so I feel a bit cheated out of my free bees.
Knowing dealerships, you're lucky they didn't charge you extra for those options.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!