New Cell Phone Plan Advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 1:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote

New Cell Phone Plan Advice?

My wife and I are currently on a Telus plan which expires this month so I started looking at options and it seems that once again things have changed. Anyone have any advice for us? We're looking at new phones (probably iphoneSE) and debating buying them outright or including them in the plan. Currently we share 3GB of data and rarely use it all. We're in northern BC and it seems that for us Telus has the best coverage. Currently our bill for 2 phones is in the neighborhood of $185 and it just kills me to give that to Telus each month. Happy to hear any advice, but please keep it positive. Thanks!
16 replies
May 26, 2020
55 posts
19 upvotes
For that little data I would not stay with Telus. Just about anybody else is better. Even Koodo has 4g for $50. Fido usually has 5g for $50. I would buy the phones outright rather than being locked into more expensive plans. It looks like you're getting a good deal on the phone but the plan price is higher to compensate. The iphone se, IMO, is over priced for what you get. The new Pixel 4a, due in a month offers more for the money, unless you're set on Apple phones. For less than $1000 you can each get a Pixel 4a phone, or less on BF deals through Google store Canada. You guys can pay much less than $185/month for a unlimited minutes and a low Gig plan.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16746 posts
3084 upvotes
Toronto
I would look into Public Mobile and buy the phones outright.
Dec 13, 2016
351 posts
196 upvotes
GTA
Best thing is do a math.
BYOP
2 Line $50 plan 4gb data is $100
2 iPhone SE outright purchase $1198
$100 X 24 months $2400 + 1198 = $3598 for 24 months.
Now calculate the 2 year contract with telus
FreedomMobile
DakilangMangingibig
Oct 17, 2010
637 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
audit13 wrote: I would look into Public Mobile and buy the phones outright.
can't agree more. $25 1gb of data each for both you and your wife. $50 all in. buy phones separately. public mobile = Telus so no lost on coverage there.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for all the info so far, I'll look into Public Mobile, never heard of it.
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
The central message from here is for you to buy the phone outright and then switch to a BYOP plan from a carrier of your choice.
I will modify this a little. We're in August, black Friday is less than 90 days away, and you've got a cellphone already.
If this was me and a new phone isn't an ABSOLUTE PRIORITY right now, I would jettison Telus at the end of my contract, move to a budget plan from Public or some other provider and wait for black Friday. Cellphones and plans are generally better discounted then. That's when I would shop for a longer lasting solution. And the best part about owning your own phone is that you can be a cellular nomad, switching plans and providers at will, you might even get a great winback offer from Telus.
Sep 20, 2012
121 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Gangsta101 wrote: The central message from here is for you to buy the phone outright and then switch to a BYOP plan from a carrier of your choice.
I will modify this a little. We're in August, black Friday is less than 90 days away, and you've got a cellphone already.
If this was me and a new phone isn't an ABSOLUTE PRIORITY right now, I would jettison Telus at the end of my contract, move to a budget plan from Public or some other provider and wait for black Friday. Cellphones and plans are generally better discounted then. That's when I would shop for a longer lasting solution. And the best part about owning your own phone is that you can be a cellular nomad, switching plans and providers at will, you might even get a great winback offer from Telus.
Am I the only one not impressed with these "budget" plans?

I'm currently paying 62$ all-in with Telus corporate for 7G of data and my Note 9 (which expires in 1 month). I get that not everyone has access to "corporate" prices but still 40$ seems really expensive for 4.5G (at lower speeds according to their website) and you have to BYOD... Maybe things have changed but I did the math 2 years ago and even with the initial price of the Note 9 I came out way ahead of any deal which required me to buy my phone separately, plus if your phone is relatively current you can sell the old one to cover the initial fee for the new one.
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
Archeob wrote: Am I the only one not impressed with these "budget" plans?

I'm currently paying 62$ all-in with Telus corporate for 7G of data and my Note 9 (which expires in 1 month). I get that not everyone has access to "corporate" prices but still 40$ seems really expensive for 4.5G (at lower speeds according to their website) and you have to BYOD... Maybe things have changed but I did the math 2 years ago and even with the initial price of the Note 9 I came out way ahead of any deal which required me to buy my phone separately, plus if your phone is relatively current you can sell the old one to cover the initial fee for the new one.
You're not the only one. However they serve a role for folks who want to pay less than $50 for a large data bucket plan. Also, the total cost of getting a flagship device from most carriers now is really high, so BYOP plans are great if you are able to do the maths and can spend the cash upfront.
If i was paying for my own phone, i would get a dual sim device (e-sim device included), get the fido $10/4gb plan on one sim, and the freedom $99/year plan on the other sim. Total comes to about $20.7 after taxes (or go with the ATT plan if you need more data). Then again not everyone is willing to do this.
Feb 5, 2019
39 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Oliver79 wrote: My wife and I are currently on a Telus plan which expires this month so I started looking at options and it seems that once again things have changed. Anyone have any advice for us? We're looking at new phones (probably iphoneSE) and debating buying them outright or including them in the plan. Currently we share 3GB of data and rarely use it all. We're in northern BC and it seems that for us Telus has the best coverage. Currently our bill for 2 phones is in the neighborhood of $185 and it just kills me to give that to Telus each month. Happy to hear any advice, but please keep it positive. Thanks!
The iPhone SE costs about $600 outright for the 64GB model, and most carriers offer it for $25/month over two years. You won't save anything buying it that way, but it won't be any more expensive either so it makes the cost easier to swallow. Koodo uses the same network as Telus and offers plans under 10GB.
https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Ca ... h-Columbia

Keep an eye open in the weeks ahead. Back To School sales will start soon, and you can expect the iPhone XR or iPhone 11 to go on a deep sale too.

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca

All The Best Wireless Plans, All In One Place.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3147 posts
682 upvotes
OP said they live in Northern BC... I doubt that Public Mobile would have any reception there (the OP even said never heard of them).

$185 is a lot of 2 phones... I quickly look at Telus current offer... getting 2 current in market plan could potentially save you $10-20. Why not call into Telus and see if they have any special offers? Also, if you are working, have you checked with your company have discount plans?
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1909 posts
178 upvotes
Markham, ON
I've been recommending Public Mobile for everyone (wife is on it, mother in law, father in law are on it) but the lack of VoLTE / VoWIFI is becoming an issue recently in the GTA (in-building) for my wife in Markham. It's nothing close to Freedom; It's still night & day compared to Freedom. It's becoming a bit of an issue for VOICE for my wife. Data is not a problem as TELUS LTE network is near flawless.

I think Bell is slowing shutting down parts of the UMTS network and service is becoming poor in areas.

I'm with TELUS and I toggled my VOLTE OFF (so that voice go through UMTS) and notice the issue. While on VoLTE voice is not an as issue in the same area for me on TELUS.

I imagine TELUS does eventually allow VoLTE on Public Mobile, but until then I may have to lose her plan and switch her over to Koodo or TELUS.
TELUS, Koodo, Public Mobile, FIDO customer.
Aug 5, 2020
1 posts
Currently Telus is offering simple share plan for $85 a month. It’s 20g of data and unlimited talk and text. This doesn’t include your device . They did start the bring it back Program recently. I got a IPhone 11 for $20 a month . It’s essential a lease for 2 years instead of a out right buying of the phone . Let’s say you each get a phone with a device balance of $25 a month that’s still $135 a month for 17g more of Data . Outside for the main populated areas of BC the other carriers are hit and miss on coverage. Even parts of the lower mainland can’t get good call coverage . Not saying stick with Telus but the ones that offer the best rates might have horrible coverage in northern BC
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10569 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver
CrazyJo82 wrote: OP said they live in Northern BC... I doubt that Public Mobile would have any reception there (the OP even said never heard of them).
Public Mobile uses Telus' network. They're owned and operated by Telus.
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE