Real Estate

New Construction - advice for dealing with builder and Tarion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2019 9:02 am
[OP]
Dec 8, 2019
1 posts

New Construction - advice for dealing with builder and Tarion

I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience with Tarion and my builder. I am currently living in a new condo unit at Concord Park Place, just moved in on the occupancy date back in the summer.

A couple of questions:
1. There are still a few items that are outstanding from the 30-day form I have submitted back in June. The date for them to resolve all the items have passed, and I have about a little over a week to pay the 282 dollars and request an inspection from Tarion. The builder's customer service agent has acknowledged the outstanding issues but had not been able to give me any precise dates when any tradespeople are coming in to fix the \issues. Should I just go ahead and just pay for the inspection? I understand I get the money back if Tarion agrees with me, but I want to make sure I'm not rolling the dice here.
2. After I moved in, I had noticed that there was very apparent buckling with some of the laminate flooring near the kitchen counter area. That area was perfectly fine during the PDI but when I moved in on the occupancy date, I noticed the damage to the flooring. I had reported it on my 30-day form, but the builder told me that the guidelines in "...Section 12.37 ... does indicate to wait until one full cooling and heating cycle" before they will fix anything related to flooring. However, I have doubts that this would fix it due to the severity of the buckling. If I do end up asking for an inspection, should I add in this item as well? How likely would they actually fix the flooring now vs a year later?
1 reply
Nov 15, 2019
70 posts
27 upvotes
1. I took occupancy for a condo about a year and a half ago, and booked an inspection after some of the items on my 30-day Tarion form were not completed. The items were fixed before the inspection was scheduled, and I then cancelled the inspection, and received a refund of the inspection fee. The reason I booked the inspection was to keep the developer's feet to the fire.

2. I also asked the builder to fix items that were not on the 30-day form, and these were fixed also. These were pretty obvious items, such as holes cut out on the balcony siding for power outlets that were placed elsewhere. I have never heard a builder say that they will not fix anything until the building has been through a one-year heating and cooling cycle. If this is the case, why does Tarion provide owners with a 30-day form to fill out?

3. If you are worried about whether the flooring would qualify under the Tarion insurance, it might be a good idea to call Tarion, and see what they say.

Good luck!