• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 3:00 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
554 posts
662 upvotes

[New Construction] Front door no longer sitting flush, air leaks

Hi all,

So we've moved into our freehold town house back in late 2017 in the GTA and now it's the 2nd year that we owned this house. We've recently notice that our front door is no longer sitting flush with our second door (house came in a French door configuration) and I have a feeling the house shifted which caused the door to also shift. During colder weather, we've notice that the cold air rushes in on the bottom half of the door as it looks like the door is pushed out a bit at the bottom.

Now, when looking at the Tarion warranty, it says that doors & windows are only warrantied for 1 year for exterior air infiltration:
https://www.tarion.com/cpg/interior-cli ... indows-and

So this sounds like I'm SOL in terms of warranty and would likely need to get a contractor to fix this issue.

Does anyone know roughly how much this would cost us to get this fixed? I'm really hope that we're not looking at a bill shock considering this I would consider as a defect and Tarion only covers this defect for a year it seems, or am I missing something here?

If anyone has any advice on this, it's highly appreciated!

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1022 posts
400 upvotes
GTA
Probably could have been covered under the 2-year:

Two Year Warranty
>Protects against defects in materials that affect windows, doors and caulking and defects in work that results in water penetration into the building envelope;

Easiest is to call Tarion - you may get someone who agrees that if this is due to the house shifting you may be able to claim under structural (7 years) - could be worth a shot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
Sadly OP I go into houses all the time as young as a year to replace junk builder front doors, patio doors and french doors. Probably can’t be fixed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
deltatux wrote: Hi all,

So we've moved into our freehold town house back in late 2017 in the GTA and now it's the 2nd year that we owned this house. We've recently notice that our front door is no longer sitting flush with our second door (house came in a French door configuration) and I have a feeling the house shifted which caused the door to also shift. During colder weather, we've notice that the cold air rushes in on the bottom half of the door as it looks like the door is pushed out a bit at the bottom.

Now, when looking at the Tarion warranty, it says that doors & windows are only warrantied for 1 year for exterior air infiltration:
https://www.tarion.com/cpg/interior-cli ... indows-and

So this sounds like I'm SOL in terms of warranty and would likely need to get a contractor to fix this issue.

Does anyone know roughly how much this would cost us to get this fixed? I'm really hope that we're not looking at a bill shock considering this I would consider as a defect and Tarion only covers this defect for a year it seems, or am I missing something here?

If anyone has any advice on this, it's highly appreciated!

Thanks!
There is so much weather-stripping and insulation available at Home depot and Lowes.
The doors can be adjusted with the hinges.