[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax

New construction Question

Hey guys,

I purchased a new construction and its currently 6 weeks from being finished. I took a visit and walked through the other day to check out the progress and noticed a large amount of vertical ducting that was in my great room and dining room which will inevitably be boxed in and take away space from the living area.
Is this normal? I know bulk heads and the like are necessary but is there anything that can be done? I'll try to include a picture.
35 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/29f328w.jpg[/IMG]

The ducting is in the left side. Goes all the way up and back towards where I am standing. 9ft up and another 9 feet back along the ceiling.

Hopefully that works.
Apr 14, 2006
809 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
No picture posted.

Duct work can be placed anywhere the builder can put it as long as its to code. If its already installed its not likely going to be easy getting the builder to move it.
May 12, 2014
907 posts
552 upvotes
Markham, ON
Is that the return air vent?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
I think it's the return. Not too sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1634 posts
691 upvotes
London
wow. I don't think that that is acceptable. We are just finishing a new build and have zero ducting like that. If it is to code, which it is likely, than it is probably going to be tough to fight. Did they have this sort of thing in thier model home? The model should be reflective of the finished product I would think.

p.s. now is the time to do it...before the drywall goes up!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
OP, not much you can do now. The HVAC is already in place (furnace in the basement) with the ducts installed and probably balanced.
This is one reason I would never buy a new build ever again. The floor plans they show you at the sales office and what you get in the end sometimes get thrown out the door.

The builder will probably had that with the wall and kitchen cabinets so you won't notice it.
Builder has 5.5 weeks to install a lot of the insides.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
There is no furnace installed yet. And the ducting won't be hidden above cabinets as the cabinets are in opposite wall. This wasn't in the plans nor the model.

Can I bring this up? Am I technically allowed to be walkin through my home?
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
^ Request a walk through. Then bring up the duct during it.

Was this on the drawings you would of approved? Something as major as that square duct should of been on it. Use the drawings as part of your argument.
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Also, they have a lot of work to do in 6 weeks. I doubt they will finish, there will be delays.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
Before the strike in May, they were only 4.5 weeks out. I don't have a new closing yet.

Am I allowed to request a walk through during construction?

The ducts were not in the plans at all.
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
^ Ask them.

It should say in your contract as well.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1200 posts
846 upvotes
Belleville
Wow. That is very unsightly. We had issues with our builder and ended up doing a tray ceiling in the dining room and lowering the ceiling 1' in the family room to hide it all. Wouldn't be able to do that with a vertical hvac run.

At 7 weeks out we are completely drywalled/mudded. I seriously don't think you will make closing date.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
It's extremely unsightly, agreed. We don't even have a new closing date as of yet since the strike has ended.

Do i realistically have any options at this point?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
Here is the alternate view of the ceiling run on top right.

Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
^ Not if you dont start TALKING to the builder......

the horiz ones will be tough. Ducts have to go some where...

The large vertical duct is the one your should be focused on. I wouldn't mind seeing the floor plan..

PS. your more like 10-12 weeks out.
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
^ you have to start by asking for a walk through. Thats the best way to get this conversation started.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1252 posts
132 upvotes
Ajax
I'll shoot them an email right now and ask for one. What reasoning shall I give?
Sep 29, 2015
276 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I would give them a call.

As well those plans are only the developer renderings.. As part of your contract package there should of been floor plans in it that you approved...