• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 9:36 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
62 posts
18 upvotes
Canada, ON

New couch - condo hallway

We are looking to purchase a 96” long couch and Im wondering how do I confirm I can fit it inside my unit.

The door opening is not an issue but how can I turn that couch in a what seems like, tight condo hallway.

The door is only 8’ high so flipping it straight up doesn’t work.

It seems like with such a sharp angle and being so long, it will be problematic.

Any experience or best way to figure out if this works?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
Is it a solid 96 inches long, or is there some "squish" room in the material? Is this 8 foot door a floor to ceiling height or is the door opening a little lower than the ceiling on either side? When you say condo, is this an apartment building type, or a townhouse type? If a townhouse, do you have a patio door you can remove and come in that way? If an apartment type, how will you get it to your unit in the first place?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3891 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6393 posts
6810 upvotes
Toronto
Careful cutting and then reconstruction of the crosspieces, from underneath, so you can bend the couch without damaging the surface material. Warranty will be void, but this is how it's done if there truly is no way of moving it into the unit intact.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
62 posts
18 upvotes
Canada, ON
It’s a solid 96” - being that it’s the length, no budge.

It’s in a condo. The elevator has a 10’ ceiling so it can essentially be loaded vertically inside.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
Once you flip it vertically in front of the door, can you then tilt it a bit using the width of the hallway and then bring it in through the door?
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
Holystone wrote: Once you flip it vertically in front of the door, can you then tilt it a bit using the width of the hallway and then bring it in through the door?
If I'm visualizing it right, it sounds like getting into the unit is ok, it's the getting from the unit door to the living room inside the unit that the issue is.

I would make sure the place you buy it from has a return policy in case you can't get it in. We bought a sectional from Bad Boy, they couldn't get it in, my wife refused it, turned out we could only get a credit, not a refund. We had them bring the thing back and we figured it out, with some removal of doors and trim.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)