Site Comments & Suggestions

New "Dark Mode" for RFD Forums

Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2765 posts
990 upvotes
Is there anyway to get dark mode on iOS?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2148 posts
373 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Would you please add dark theme for iOS 13? Thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12098 posts
3256 upvotes
Scarberia
Is there a dark mode in app¿? I'm using Firefox extension dark reader
2E477D55-E903-4C3D-939C-527347305837.jpeg
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jun 6, 2013
428 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Please just make the site respond to system level dark mode setting like Twitter or Macrumors.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2021 posts
1475 upvotes
GTA
Hoping for site level dark mode setting.
Would be great if there was an updated timeline (I believe there was one in the past).
Mar 24, 2020
5 posts
6 upvotes
Yeah dark mode would be helpful, is there already an app?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8149 posts
2847 upvotes
Mississauga
I just noticed in Chrome on Android there's a setting that forces all webpages including RFD to be dark mode when you type in:
chrome://flags

And then search for "dark", you'll see the setting in the attached screenshot.

And then if you want the Chrome app itself to be dark mode, you just go into Settings, and then Themes and select dark mode.

Possibly could be the same for Chrome in iOS?
Images
  • Screenshot_20200412-132503.png
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3887 posts
2037 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: I just noticed in Chrome on Android there's a setting that forces all webpages including RFD to be dark mode when you type in:

And then if you want the Chrome app itself to be dark mode, you just go into Settings, and then Themes and select dark mode.

Do many users prefer not to use the Android App?
My forum use has almost exclusively been with Android App on my tablet, whose limited dark mode does not apply to forum. Tom mentioned previously that this is a work in progress? I already run way too many tabs on my Brave browser, and prefer not to use Chrome.

I wonder if the same adjustments could be made with Brave browser, which is Chromium based, and uses similar flags system changes?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8149 posts
2847 upvotes
Mississauga
shikotee wrote: Do many users prefer not to use the Android App?
My forum use has almost exclusively been with Android App on my tablet, whose limited dark mode does not apply to forum. Tom mentioned previously that this is a work in progress? I already run way too many tabs on my Brave browser, and prefer not to use Chrome.

I wonder if the same adjustments could be made with Brave browser, which is Chromium based, and uses similar flags system changes?
I just personally have always preferred to keep apps to a minimum, hence, my usage of Chrome for RFD, which to RFDs credit, they do a great job of the mobile website experience on browser. And the forced Dark mode that i just enabled in Chrome, has not really affected the experience that much. Everything so far, seems to work without a hitch.

The only thing seemingly more difficult to discern is the bolded font for threads that you're not caught up on versus unbolded for threads that you are caught up on.

See the screenshot where Dark mode sticky thread is unbolded compared to the three below are bolded. But outside of that, i can live with the overall look.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200412-154410.png
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3408 posts
2191 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: I just noticed in Chrome on Android there's a setting that forces all webpages including RFD to be dark mode when you type in:

Awesome tip!!
Jan 3, 2008
190 posts
12 upvotes
Victoria
Anything for MS Edge users?