Site Comments & Suggestions

New "Dark Mode" for RFD Forums

Nov 26, 2006
689 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
They really need to implement a native solution.

The Dark Reader extension as well as the Chrome flags cause some other websites to be messed up. I had to uninstall Dark Reader because it was making some websites look almost illegible. On top of that, the extension would sometime become unresponsive and wouldn't toggle on/off.
Jun 15, 2020
166 posts
179 upvotes
Ontario
pricecheck wrote: They really need to implement a native solution.

The Dark Reader extension as well as the Chrome flags cause some other websites to be messed up. I had to uninstall Dark Reader because it was making some websites look almost illegible. On top of that, the extension would sometime become unresponsive and wouldn't toggle on/off.
Exactly, they should really add a native solution. I'm not saying it's trivially easy, but it definitely isn't that difficult. Even a mediocre version will work. Extensions really add a lot of weight to browsers, especially Stylus.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3537 posts
770 upvotes
Reading this in the dark searing my eyes. I just reread the first post and it's 4 years ago !!! I don't want another app on the phone.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19552 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I feel like I should make a competing phone app that implements the RFD forums in dark mode, with no ads.

Support will be discontinued when RFD implements dark mode in their own android app. XD
- Casual Gastronomist -
Mar 21, 2019
24 posts
55 upvotes
Surprised there is still no support for native CSS dark mode, controlled by system settings. All major OS, both desktop and mobile now support dark mode and all my other go-to sites (iPhoneInCanada, MacRumors) have been supporting it for the better part of the last 2 years.

Any update?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5879 posts
372 upvotes
Calgary
im trying the built in dark mode for chrome and its working but the area where the user names, locations, etc are displayed is blinding white but the rest of the site is dark. oh well i guess ill go back to dark reader chrome plugin but i would prefer more of a native option like im sure many others do....
rfd_chrome_dark.jpg