Entertainment

New Disney+ streaming service - $11.99 CAD/month or $119.99/year + launch of Star in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2022 10:10 am
Sep 5, 2011
195 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
Disney has also just confirmed that D+ will be launching a mature content section under the Star brand in February 2021, including in Canada. This will be the closest thing to Hulu that will launch internationally.

Monthly prices will go up to compensate - from €6.99 to €8.99 in continental Europe, and similar increases elsewhere - but existing prices will be honoured for existing subscribers for six months.

So if you’ve been meaning to (re-)subscribe (or switch to the yearly plan), now may be a good time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
OhHiThere wrote: Disney has also just confirmed that D+ will be launching a mature content section under the Star brand in February 2021, including in Canada. This will be the closest thing to Hulu that will launch internationally.

Monthly prices will go up to compensate - from €6.99 to €8.99 in continental Europe, and similar increases elsewhere - but existing prices will be honoured for existing subscribers for six months.

So if you’ve been meaning to (re-)subscribe (or switch to the yearly plan), now may be a good time.
So the Canadian price increase ($11.99?) will happen February 23 2021 then. And in July the new streaming service tax will start. Mid February seems like a good time for the annual subscription before both of these take effect.

"Star will be a more adult-orientated service featuring content from the company’s ABC, FX, Freeform, Searchlight, and 20th Century Studios brands."
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14834 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto
Some other SW series in the works

Lando

Everyone’s favorite scoundrel Lando Calrissian will return in a brand-new event series for Disney+. Justin Simien, creator of the critically-acclaimed Dear White People and a huge Star Wars fan, is developing the story.

The Acolyte

Leslye Headland, Emmy Award-nominated creator of the mind-bending series Russian Doll, brings a new Star Wars series to Disney+ with The Acolyte. The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.

Star Wars: Visions

Presenting all-new, creative takes on the galaxy far, far away, Star Wars: Visions will be a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators. The anthology collection will bring 10 fantastic visions from several of the leading Japanese anime studios, offering a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars.

A Droid Story

As Lucasfilm continues to develop new stories, the intersection of animation and visual effects offers new opportunities to explore. Lucasfilm Animation will be teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to develop a special Star Wars adventure for Disney+, A Droid Story. This epic journey will introduce us to a new hero, guided by legendary duo R2-D2 and C-3PO.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14834 posts
7552 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Alien TV series in the works too.
FX not Disney+ (make a new thread)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5611 posts
3791 upvotes
scoper wrote: Alien TV series in the works too. Presumably available under the Star tile in Canada

https://deadline.com/2020/12/alien-seri ... 234654111/
I saw a tweet just now from the official Alien Tweet about this, so stoked as it’s one of my favourite movies!

Also, you’re link shows they’re working on a Y: The Last Man series!?!? Wow! That was a great comic if you haven’t checked it out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
jenviea wrote: FX not Disney+ (make a new thread)
They're saying FX content will be part of Disney+ starting Feb 23 2021 in Canada under the new Star section. But I created a new thread for it anyway.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
Season 4 of NatGeo's Genius will move to Disney+ and feature the life of Martin Luther King Jr.
Also new documentary "Cousteau" coming.

https://nationalgeographicpartners.com/ ... act-sheet/

GENIUS: MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. – From executive producers Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, the Emmy Award-winning GENIUS scripted franchise continues exclusively for Disney+ subscribers beginning with season four, which will explore the extraordinary life and immeasurable impact of Nobel Peace Prize winner Martin Luther King Jr., who led seismic change in the civil rights movement in America. It will explore how Reverend King, a Baptist minister, became one of the most influential and inspirational African American leaders in history.

COUSTEAU – From National Geographic Documentary Films, the studio behind Oscar® winner FREE SOLO, two-time Academy Award® nominee Liz Garbus (“What Happened, Miss Simone?,” “The Farm: Angola, USA”), Academy Award winner Dan Cogan (“Icarus”), and in partnership with Story Syndicate and The Cousteau Society, the life of legendary ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau is told through a treasure trove of previously unseen archival material. Featuring never-before-seen 4K footage from the Cousteau Society’s archives, COUSTEAU will provide audiences a “deep dive” into the renowned explorer’s remarkable life, revealing the man behind some of the world’s most significant contributions to contemporary environmentalism.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
karlb wrote: This! Apple has been charging tax on all iTunes purchases since 2019.
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/appl ... es-canada/
Then starting in July when the new streaming service tax takes effect anyone who pays for Disney+ through iTunes will be taxed twice. That makes a lot of sense...

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
Price increase to $11.99 per month ($119.99 for the year) confirmed starting Feb 23rd. They are saying there will be 35 first-run TV shows on Star alone within the 1st year. So it's safe to assume all the new FX shows will be made available through Star on Disney+.

So far only these 8 new series have been confirmed as coming to Star:

The Kardashian Jenners

Only Murders in the Building (with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez)

The Dropout (with Kate McKinnon)

Dopesick (starring Michael Keaton, Rosario Dawson and Peter Sarsgaard)

The Old Man (starring Jeff Bridges)

American Horror Stories – a spinoff of the successful American Horror Story series.

Reservation Dogs (from Taika Waititi)

Y: The Last Man (an adaptation of the graphic novel)

Sep 5, 2011
195 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Then starting in July when the new streaming service tax takes effect anyone who pays for Disney+ through iTunes will be taxed twice. That makes a lot of sense...
No, if you’re billed by Apple you’ll still only pay sales taxes once. Technically if you’ve been paying Disney directly you should have been self-assessing GST or HST on your income taxes all along (yeah, I know no one actually does it).

Edit: to be abundantly clear, the “streaming tax” you’re referring to is just additional enforcement of the existing GST/HST on foreign Internet services. There is no separate tax just on streaming services.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8105 posts
5096 upvotes
Global Village
OhHiThere wrote: No, if you’re billed by Apple you’ll still only pay sales taxes once. Technically if you’ve been paying Disney directly you should have been self-assessing GST or HST on your income taxes all along (yeah, I know no one actually does it).

Edit: to be abundantly clear, the “streaming tax” you’re referring to is just additional enforcement of the existing GST/HST on foreign Internet services. There is no separate tax just on streaming services.
Well right now when you subscribe to Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video etc directly through the streaming providers you are not charged tax. Starting in July you will.

I don't know anyone who is taxing themselves for these services when doing taxes, is that really what you're supposed to do in Canada?!

Sep 5, 2011
195 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Well right now when you subscribe to Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video etc directly through the streaming providers you are not charged tax. Starting in July you will.

I don't know anyone who is taxing themselves for these services when doing taxes, is that really what you're supposed to do in Canada?!
This article has a good overview of the situation prior to this fall's announcement. Since it may be paywalled I'll give the most pertinent quote:
... there was an existing tax that wasn’t being enforced. Digital services like Netflix never had to collect GST or relevant provincial sales taxes under current laws if they didn’t have a substantial physical presence in Canada. It meant that consumers who subscribed to Netflix were required to submit that tax to the government themselves. Not many did.
That said, where an individual would have been expected to declare that extra GST on a T1 is not clear to me.

It appears that the rules were tightened slightly in 2019, which apparently required Apple starting to charge GST/HST consistently but still left out Netflix, Disney, etc. as you said (though my Amazon Prime membership has always been charged with HST).

Once the new rules come into effect in July 2021, Apple would be able to claim any GST/HST it has to pay to Disney+ etc. as input tax credits, the same as any other Canadian reseller. So there should be no double taxation.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2015 upvotes
Fernando Poo
scoper wrote: Well right now when you subscribe to Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video etc directly through the streaming providers you are not charged tax. Starting in July you will.

I have Prime Video, and I'm charged tax.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Dec 3, 2002
502 posts
36 upvotes
BC
fudge_u wrote: Just renewed for the year. With the Rakuten cash back, it works out to $77 which is reasonable. I just hope the new Stars content is worth it, because Disney+ was really lacking for me.
Did you have to sign up a new Disney+ account through Rakuten? Or is there a renewal option through there with the same promo rebate?
Apr 11, 2011
416 posts
131 upvotes
Memramcook
jeeva86 wrote: I think I’m starting to remember, all of these streaming services get charged tax when subscribing via iTunes. You’re still a bit ahead of u use the 20% off iTunes card from the Costco sales.
And continuing to be more expensive.... I think iTunes sales at Costco are now 15% off, not 20. Disappointed Face
Feb 18, 2008
702 posts
1441 upvotes
If bought through disney it's $89.99 all in.

If bought with iTunes it's $89.99 + taxes.

So there's no advantage for Qc residents to go the iTunes way? (15% taxes)
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)