Entertainment

New Disney+ streaming service - $8.99/mth or $90/Yr- & 2021 Hulu launch in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 7:50 pm
Aug 12, 2018
153 posts
118 upvotes
Since this service can be shared by 4, it is somewhat warm because the price is $8.99 which is $2.25 per stream with 4k. This is a low for a major streaming service which such a vast library and 4k steams ( not including amazon in this since their library is very limited). I will be checking this out. Nice to see netflix getting some serious competition finally. All those price increases they keep imposing with have to be halted now.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4859 posts
1839 upvotes
Ajax
BaptisteD81634 wrote: Let's not support these multiple platform.

Netflix/Prime/Disney/HBO/etc...

This make me only want to go back to the old piracy day..
Except there really isn't a reliable old way anymore. When I have invested in high quality HT environment, the last thing I want to feed it is crappy kodi box plex streams that hardly work and looks like shit.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4859 posts
1839 upvotes
Ajax
2Sedins1Cup wrote: If you sign up for Disney+ via the iOS app or Apple TV...you will be billed from your iTunes account (which you fund with Costco's periodic 20% off iTunes card sales). This method works for any subscription you sign up for via an iOS device, apps, movie rentals, etc etc
Has this actually been confirmed? I would like to do this and then stream from Xbox One X for the 4K HDR Atoms content.

And Costco just had that deal. Any chances we will see it again before Xmas?
Last edited by mrtvgame on Nov 12th, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8244 posts
2858 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Except there really isn't a reliable old way anymore. When I have invested in high quality HT environment, the last thing I want to feed it is crappy kodi box plex streams that hardly work and looks like shit.
Nvidia Shield Pro works wonders with a Plex stream. Also have to upgrade the router to support higher bitrate files but it shouldn't be much of an issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1468 posts
328 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for posting/reminding OP.

My kids/wife really want it but so debating if multi-subscriptions are still making sense.

TV Basic cable $5/month
Amazon Prime $8/month (we used Amazon shipping quite often - perhaps this can't be counted)
Netflix $14/month
Disney+ $9/month

Trying to convince kids/wife/mother/MIL to drop Netflix.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6193 posts
4443 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like 4 simultaneous streams then.... that's good.

Apparently there have been news about Netflix & others wanting to impose a device limit to reduce password sharing ...no clue what they're trying to accomplish
With Zoomer Wireless !
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4859 posts
1839 upvotes
Ajax
Variability wrote: Nvidia Shield Pro works wonders with a Plex stream. Also have to upgrade the router to support higher bitrate files but it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I have seen some of those streams and they are unreliable. Nothing worse then getting family or friends together and you get spinning circles and crappy streams. If one can't afford $9/month for original content and an impressive backlog, then it is not for you.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21302 posts
23690 upvotes
Toronto
For people with actual Chromecast devices, you can join the preview program to ensure you always have the latest firmware. I'm running preview on all my Chromecasts with no issues

https://support.google.com/chromecast/a ... 7?hl=en-CA

Sadly our office TV, Toshiba 55L621U is running ancient built-in Chromecast version 1.22.78594 with no more upgrades ever. Another argument against 'smart' TVs even with popular built-in supported interfaces (Roku, Chromecast)
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Nov 29, 2011
956 posts
336 upvotes
Milton
mrtvgame wrote: Except there really isn't a reliable old way anymore. When I have invested in high quality HT environment, the last thing I want to feed it is crappy kodi box plex streams that hardly work and looks like shit.
Torrents are still reliable.
Apr 1, 2013
660 posts
790 upvotes
Fredericton
mrtvgame wrote: I have seen some of those streams and they are unreliable. Nothing worse then getting family or friends together and you get spinning circles and crappy streams. If one can't afford $9/month for original content and an impressive backlog, then it is not for you.
Any decent mini PC will run plex fine as long as you aren't transcoding 4K.

If you still have issues with buffering and what not, it's likely your client, not the Plex server. I have two different LG TVs and the newer one definitely performs better (never had a buffering issue) while the older one sometimes buffers.

Ubuntu server + Plex + VPN + Flexget + Custom RSS (https://showrss.info) and you don't need any streaming services.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8244 posts
2858 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: I have seen some of those streams and they are unreliable. Nothing worse then getting family or friends together and you get spinning circles and crappy streams. If one can't afford $9/month for original content and an impressive backlog, then it is not for you.
Then the setup is faulty. I have a one in all desktop setup, but my friends have dedicated media servers. No one has ever experienced issues that you're describing where it wasn't user error.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3472 posts
2274 upvotes
Toronto
turtlenuts wrote: Vizio TV owners I suggest making some noise to Vizio support.

No native Disney+ app for the time being, but the problem is that built-in Chromecast on even 2019 models have out of date Chromecast firmware so we can't even cast from our Android devices. Super annoyed with Vizio.

Edit: For more context, Disney+ requires firmware 1.36 or later. My 2019 P659-G1 (even with the latest firmware) still has 1.34 for Chromecast)
cheaper_than_cheap wrote: Precisely why I will never pay a dime extra for (or rely on features of) a so-called Smart TV. I want the TV to be as dumb as possible - all resources should go towards picture quality. The smarts go in the set top box which is far more easily upgraded when the need arises.
techstud wrote: That sucks. My Vizio soundbar has Chromecast built-in and only has v1.21.75965. Otherwise, I have the Chromecast dongles attached to my TV’s and the OG Gen 1’s have v1.36.159268 and the Ultra’s have v1.42.180348.
I gave up on Vizio's support for their TVs. Their 'smart apps' are essentially HTML5 web based apps and they are incredibly slow now. Not sure if Disney+ supports this yet but will wait to see if they do. I'm also annoyed with the lack of Chromecast support too. I really wish it supported "group audio" casting with my other GH devices. I bought the 2016 M55....the TV has amazing picture quality and incredible 'true black' LED array setup. I still consider it a dumb TV because of the price point it was at. I have a fire stick on another TV and have been really impressed with it. I may just end up getting one for the Vizio.
Last edited by redkulat on Nov 12th, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6193 posts
4443 upvotes
Toronto
redkulat wrote: The real deal here is finding 3 friends and splitting the cost. If there is no tax for a year subscription, it's $22.50 per person. Not bad...

Essentially $1.90 per month.
This should be stickied. That's the deal. It's more of a PSA. Take my upvote.
With Zoomer Wireless !
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1556 posts
416 upvotes
Canada
mrtvgame wrote: Has this actually been confirmed? I would like to do this and then stream from Xbox One X for the 4K HDR Atoms content.

And Costco just had that deal. Any chances we will see it again before Xmas?
Yes, i signed up this morning in the iOS app on my iPhone and the funding says from my Apple account balance.
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro