Entertainment

New Disney+ streaming service - $8.99/mth or $90/Yr- & 2021 Hulu launch in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 7:50 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2262 posts
950 upvotes
Montreal, QC
biGtiF wrote: Not sure if it was discussed but I was wondering if the Hulu + ESPN + Disney+ deal is available in Canada yet? Thanks!
scoper wrote: Not yet. It was leaked to CBC that Hulu will be launching in Canada "soon" and there is bound to be a bundle with Disney+ here too (I'm sticking to my guess that the bundle of Hulu with ads with Disney+ will cost $13.99 CAD). Nothing on ESPN+ yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/disney ... -1.5135188
for ESPN+, it is a bit more trickier because of distribution rights. they would have to strike a deal with our main providers which i don't think they would want (not Disney but the providers)
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2079 posts
2100 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote: If anyone can find out more information about the 10 device limit, the (in)ability to edit the device list, and whether or not this applies to just downloads or streams as well, I'd love to know. This has thrown a wrench into things.
chimaican wrote:
-My guess is the 10 device limit is based upon MAC address
-4 Concurrent streaming is obvious, only 4 downloads or streaming at one time
I believe they have clarified that it's 10 devices for downloading, I don't think they have said there is a limit on devices or computers in general. Most sources mention the 10 mobile device limit for downloads.

If you see otherwise, please post the source as I'd be interested in reading about it.

Edit: Apparently there is a problem posted on Reddit that I didn't know about. There is a 10 device cap and it leads to Error 30 when hit. I hope they fix that! I signed up on my work computer and I'm never going to watch Disney+ on it. =/ I wish I knew about this, so far I've used 8 devices between 3 people and at least 2 devices probably won't really be using it.
Jun 16, 2007
87 posts
14 upvotes
silverele wrote: I believe they have clarified that it's 10 devices for downloading, I don't think they have said there is a limit on devices or computers in general. Most sources mention the 10 mobile device limit for downloads.

If you see otherwise, please post the source as I'd be interested in reading about it.

Edit: Apparently there is a problem posted on Reddit that I didn't know about. There is a 10 device cap and it leads to Error 30 when hit. I hope they fix that! I signed up on my work computer and I'm never going to watch Disney+ on it. =/ I wish I knew about this, so far I've used 8 devices between 3 people and at least 2 devices probably won't really be using it.
My question is if I chromecast to a nexus/mibox/chromecast from my phone on the app does it count the phone as 1 device or each nexus/mibox/chromecast (3 devices)? I'm in a group and deciding how to use my device limit wisely
Jun 27, 2017
515 posts
710 upvotes
GTA
Is the Canadian account different from the US account? I mean I accidentally used Disney+ with SmartDNS and it wouldn't play anything unless I turn off SmartDNS. So it probably doesn't work with Disney+ yet I guess... not that it's a big deal though with the minimal difference.
Feb 4, 2009
245 posts
23 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Could be because of the codecs, do we know if they decode the audio into DD?
I suspect it is related to codecs but don't really know. Not sure there is anything I can do about it now. Hope the next app update fixes the problem. Tried some wireless headphone connected to the box to make sure it was not the HDMI cable or the TV. My box runs on Android 8. Not sure if moving to Android 9 will fix it. I guess it depends on what codecs are on the Android 9 image released by the manufacturer.

After more testing here is what works and what doesn't on my android box from an audio perspective:

1) Streaming any content that is in HD or has been remastered (i.e. remastered includes all the classic animation movies, the simpsons, etc.) - No Audio
No other language audio works exept if the program supports described audio
2) Streaming old TV shows that have not been remastered (i.e. Lizzie Mcguire, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, etc) - Audio works fine for all of these
3) Downloading the content works. All levels of download quality work.

I have changed and tweaked various audio settings on my box around digital settings and dolby, etc. and it makes no difference.
Oct 22, 2016
23 posts
1 upvote
With me, I can connect through my phone (mobile internet) but not through my home network. It gives me error 73 which is basically "Disney is not available in my country". Anyone else having this issue?
I checked my IP and it is Canadian and not issues with either Netflix or Spotify.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1894 posts
1217 upvotes
Ottawa
todortonchev wrote: With me, I can connect through my phone (mobile internet) but not through my home network. It gives me error 73 which is basically "Disney is not available in my country". Anyone else having this issue?
I checked my IP and it is Canadian and not issues with either Netflix or Spotify.
Does your company use VPN? Does D+ blacklists VPN?
Oct 31, 2007
3456 posts
517 upvotes
Is it just me or is there no "play from beginning?" ie. if I've already watched a show I have to manually "rewind" the whole thing to get back to the beginning if I want to restart it.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2043 posts
280 upvotes
When I play it thru chromecast, it keeps buffering at the beginning and the end of the program I'm watching. With the ps4, it just stops midway into the program. It's perfectly fine when I'm watching on my phone though. Ugh...I hope Disney gets these issues worked out.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10929 posts
7256 upvotes
GTA, ON
nufan wrote: Is it just me or is there no "play from beginning?" ie. if I've already watched a show I have to manually "rewind" the whole thing to get back to the beginning if I want to restart it.
tinlun wrote: When I play it thru chromecast, it keeps buffering at the beginning and the end of the program I'm watching. With the ps4, it just stops midway into the program. It's perfectly fine when I'm watching on my phone though. Ugh...I hope Disney gets these issues worked out.
I think we're already up to 3 updates since launch. So, hopefully bugs get worked out. Some jittery during playback.

I'm using it through the PS4. Has anyone figured out if there is a traditional rewind or fast forward that shows video as you do it? I can stop and choose the time index but what's the point of that when I can see the image. I wish they'd implement a chapter function like what we see on blurays/dvd.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
There is a free one week trial for signing up.
It does have 4K HDR streaming of some movies which are not available at retail on disc at 4K HDR but
I find streaming movies are inferior to the physical format.

With streaming over Apple 4K TV, sometimes the speed of many movie's playback is unnaturally sped up compared to the disc.
scoper wrote: Wow, they had over 10 million subscribers in 1 day!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/209 ... xar-launch
Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 16th, 2019 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 30, 2001
28349 posts
7349 upvotes
Toronto
nufan wrote: Is it just me or is there no "play from beginning?" ie. if I've already watched a show I have to manually "rewind" the whole thing to get back to the beginning if I want to restart it.
the app is really lacking. for me i can't get it to play the next ep like how Netflix does, or even remember that I've watched episode x so play episode y when i hit play. very annoying
FS: Xbox One X (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16737 posts
3084 upvotes
Toronto
tinlun wrote: When I play it thru chromecast, it keeps buffering at the beginning and the end of the program I'm watching. With the ps4, it just stops midway into the program. It's perfectly fine when I'm watching on my phone though. Ugh...I hope Disney gets these issues worked out.
Could it be due to a network speed issue?

I have watched the first three Star Wars movies in 4k DV with no issues on an Apple TV. Can't try other devices since I don't have any other 4k players.