Entertainment

New Disney+ streaming service - $8.99/mth or $90/Yr- & 2021 Hulu launch in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 7:50 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10926 posts
7255 upvotes
GTA, ON
^^^^

Man, I've seen like a good majority of those movies, and not only that, most appear on cable every few months (if not several times a week depending on the cable station i.e. National Treasure on AMC)
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2609 posts
1176 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: How do you confirm your stream is in 4k? When you pause it doesn't show this, like it does in Prime Video.
Is there any HDMI mode that supports a resolution lower than 4K for YUV 422 Rec 2020 (DolbyVision) ?
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8610 posts
3042 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Is there any HDMI mode that supports a resolution lower than 4K for YUV 422 Rec 2020 (DolbyVision) ?
Not sure. I am just asking how people are confirming what the streaming resolution is?

Prime Video shows it above the status bar when you pause the video.

Netflix shows it when you push the info button while something is playing.

I can't find any way to make D+ show it.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1475 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
I am running out of things to watch on Disney+, what are you guys watching? I am just re-watching X-men animated series lol
Jun 1, 2007
644 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone get it through Apple and can confirm if taxes charged ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
According to youtube tech analysts:

The HDR in Star Wars 1-7 is fake HDR. But Disney+ is still the only way to watch those movies in 4K, even with fake HDR because
Disney has no plans to release those movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11179 posts
7878 upvotes
Oil Country
XFactor11 wrote: According to youtube tech analysts:

The HDR in Star Wars 1-7 is fake HDR. But Disney+ is still the only way to watch those movies in 4K, even with fake HDR because
Disney has no plans to release those movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray.
Source:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7992 posts
4619 upvotes
Toronto
I'm trying it out on some extended Verizon trial my in laws got and the catalog is about what I expected though still underwhelming with how one dimensional and lacking it is. I understand the appeal for families and kids but if you gravitate towards more mature content and don't care to rewatch old Star Wars, Pixar and Marvel movies everyone has seen, there's not a lot going on here. That said having quick access to all 30 seasons of The Simpsons is nice and I'll enjoy it for that.

Also if their plan to retain customers is to drip feed new and old movies over months-years while people can easily go download a high quality bluray rip of those same movies in 15-20 min right now then they're doing it wrong. Streaming is supposed to combat piracy by being current and convenient but maybe Disney doesn't see this as a problem with their target audience. The lack of a proper PC app and inability to do 4K/5.1 on a modern HTPC when Netflix has had this for years is also baffling. Maybe these things will improve over time but at present I find it mediocre and absolutely not worth the asking price
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
Not everyone is a piracy advocate or wants to do something in the illegal or legal grey area.
$8 a month won't break the bank for most people that want to subscribe to Disney Plus. If I find the content lacking I'll just unsubscribe.

I run it through Apple 4K TV box. The Star Wars movies are not very pristine looking for these new 4K masters (I only watched Revenge of the Sith thus far).
Beauty and the Beast live action remake does look better than the Blu-ray version in the absence of a 4K disc release.

I wonder how long it will take for Disney to pull their Fox, Disney, Pixar, Marvel catalog of content off Netflix, if they ever do at all.
Reports say Disney will pull all live-action and animated movies off Netflix starting in January 2020, but did not mention if Fox, ABC, Marvel, Pixar content is included in that withdrawal.

ReeGee wrote: I'm trying it out on some extended Verizon trial my in laws got and the catalog is about what I expected though still underwhelming with how one dimensional and lacking it is. I understand the appeal for families and kids but if you gravitate towards more mature content and don't care to rewatch old Star Wars, Pixar and Marvel movies everyone has seen, there's not a lot going on here. That said having quick access to all 30 seasons of The Simpsons is nice and I'll enjoy it for that.

Also if their plan to retain customers is to drip feed new and old movies over months-years while people can easily go download a high quality bluray rip of those same movies in 15-20 min right now then they're doing it wrong. Streaming is supposed to combat piracy by being current and convenient but maybe Disney doesn't see this as a problem with their target audience. The lack of a proper PC app and inability to do 4K/5.1 on a modern HTPC when Netflix has had this for years is also baffling. Maybe these things will improve over time but at present I find it mediocre and absolutely not worth the asking price
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10926 posts
7255 upvotes
GTA, ON
XFactor11 wrote: I wonder how long it will take for Disney to pull their Fox, Disney, Pixar, Marvel catalog of content off Netflix, if they ever do at all.
Reports say Disney will pull all live-action and animated movies off Netflix starting in January 2020, but did not mention if Fox, ABC, Marvel, Pixar content is included in that withdrawal.
I don't think it will take too long. To my understanding Disney started pulling back their main cinema content awhile back. As for television, I see D+ already has the FOX Simpson's and some ABC Marvel content (Agent Carter), so I wouldn't be surprised if they are already pulling back not only Netflix content but any syndication material as well.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9777 posts
1858 upvotes
Victoria
DimsumDeals wrote: I am running out of things to watch on Disney+, what are you guys watching? I am just re-watching X-men animated series lol
Mandalorian, once a week. My wife bought, so it's more up her alley. I find as I get older, I watch less reruns of things. If there's a movie I truly love, then I own it on bluray. It means back catalog on Disney or Netflix doesn't matter all that much to me. It's the new content that gets me watching. Unfortunately Disney+ is pretty light on new content. Plus Disney is keeping it to franchises many of us like. Marvel and Star Wars. I'm not sure if they have any plans to try and start up new properties with watching. Could make things few and far between to watch.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11945 posts
2138 upvotes
Mississauga
I just got this on the weekend. I agree that the library is a bit weak once you leave the Marvel/Pixar/Star Wars bubbles. They need to add more adult-oriented movies. Disney released tons of these movies under their Touchstone Pictures label back in the 80s-00s. And they need to add more Fox movies asap. There are obviously hundreds of more mature-targeted movies in that studio's library.