Entertainment

New Disney+ streaming service - $8.99/mth or $90/Yr- & 2021 Hulu launch in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 3:29 pm
Apr 20, 2018
708 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
scoper wrote: It looks like they are leaning the way I thought, they will be launching a streaming bundle for Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 USD, cheaper than netflix.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/disne ... 203294270/

If they launch this bundle in Canada for ~$15 per month I am going to have to rethink my netflix subscription.
Going to be 8.99/month or 89.99/year
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54080 posts
18994 upvotes
Disney Plus streaming service to launch in Canada on Nov. 12 for $8.99 a month
The Canadian Press, at 09:08 on August 19, 2019

BURBANK, Calif. - The Walt Disney Company says it will launch its Disney Plus streaming service in Canada in mid-November, taking on Netflix and other services as consumers increasingly drop traditional cable.

The California-based entertainment giant says Nov. 12 marks the global launch of the service, starting with the U.S., Canada, and the Netherlands.

It says Canadian residents will pay $8.99 per month or $89.99 per year to access Disney shows and movies from its various brands including Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.

The launch of Disney Plus in Australia and New Zealand will follow on Nov. 19.

Disney says the service will be available on nearly al major mobile and connected TV devices at launch with global distribution agreements in place with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Roku and Sony.

The upcoming launch comes after Disney ended its licensing relationship with Netflix and began pulling some of its content from the service.
Sep 5, 2006
1 posts
York
To answer a question below, you can subscribe to TMN/HBO channels (back catalogue and Live TV) via the add-on within Crave. That's what I do.
Aug 22, 2011
117 posts
54 upvotes
NORTH YORK
What will you be able to watch on ESPN online in Canada ?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2870 posts
763 upvotes
That's a great price.

My gift card balance on Netflix runs out in October. This basically clinches it, I won't be renewing with Netflix and signing up for Disney when it launches.
Baaaaaaaaa!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5468 posts
2662 upvotes
Global Village
NTWKid wrote: What will you be able to watch on ESPN online in Canada ?
They haven't announced if ESPN+ will launch in Canada yet, they don't have the rights to air some of the sports in Canada. I think the next shoe to drop will be launching Hulu in Canada and bundling Disney+ with the ad-supported Hulu Canada at the same price as HD Netflix here, $13.99 per month or $139.99 per year. And I expect Netflix will counter with the yearly subscription discount themselves.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11031 posts
7382 upvotes
GTA, ON
As long as we can stream on more than one device (aka be cheap and share accounts).
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 5, 2011
4 posts
Ontario
Is it really going to be any cheaper in the long run to get everything you want to see via streaming services? You also still need your broadband service and a good one to support streaming video so while you might have more choice in what you are paying for I'm not sure you are going to be saving much money.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1078 posts
798 upvotes
Montreal
can8dn wrote: Is it really going to be any cheaper in the long run to get everything you want to see via streaming services? You also still need your broadband service and a good one to support streaming video so while you might have more choice in what you are paying for I'm not sure you are going to be saving much money.
No ads, no setup box, don't need to call in to bargain every year for a fair price and waste my precious time and 'm not giving my hard money to bell, Videotron, Rogers, etc. beside internet is a BIG PLUS for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2837 posts
416 upvotes
Don't fool yourselves thinking that ads will never exist in streaming services. It's only a matter of time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9784 posts
1862 upvotes
Victoria
HammerJoe wrote: Don't fool yourselves thinking that ads will never exist in streaming services. It's only a matter of time.
I think they'll exist but differently. In the menu's while you look for something to watch. Maybe a short add before/after/between episodes. I think the era of breaking up TV shows in the middle for commercials is over.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4077 posts
2219 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmmmmm...

They plan on dropping episodes on a weekly basis instead of dropping the full season.
Because of course they have to find more ways to generate revenue.
Me no like.