Entrepreneurship & Small Business

new to DIY incorporation in Nova Scotia: is a notary required or can I just use my witness?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 9:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2021
1 posts

new to DIY incorporation in Nova Scotia: is a notary required or can I just use my witness?

Hey all,
So I'm trying to incorporate in Nova Scotia with the registry of joint stock companies, and I've hit a snag that I'm sure there is a simple answer to, but I've been having trouble when googling the topic.
just fyi my corp will be a limited company 100% owned and operated by me.
I have been using the boilerplate share and legal structure they offer in the step-by-step process.
The second last step is requiring a "Statutory Declaration" be submitted, and I just want to make sure that I am going about this correctly.

NS gov site on Statutory Declaration

"Before you start
Make sure you have a lawyer, notary public or commissioner of oaths available to swear the form."

This is the example Statutory Declaration they provide

but the actual RJSC website that I'm submitting the document to states this:

"Statutory Declaration:
A sworn statement made by a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia or the person signing the memorandum of association of compliance with all the requirements to form a company
. "

So can I just have this witnessed by the same person I used for my other documents,or do I need to hire a notary?

Any help would be much appreciated!