Automotive

New Driver - Just Got G2 - Can I put my name under my roommate's car insurance ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2022 6:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 30, 2017
93 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto

New Driver - Just Got G2 - Can I put my name under my roommate's car insurance ?

Hi,

I am in my 20s and have just got G2. This was something that I kept off for a long time and just got it. I live in toronto and because I don't have any previous driving experience, my car insurance will be high.

Can I add myself as an additional driver in my roommate's car insurance policy ? Both of us have same address on driving license.

I will pay him the difference (for cost increase) but in return I will get to drive his car around sometimes and also build experience as a driver.

Would this help me in lowering my insurance cost down after 1 or 2 years when I actually get my car ? (I will pass G and then get my car)

Thank you for any help!
Bank : Tangerine, EQ Bank
Credit Cards : Tangerine (2% on 3 categories), Rogers (1.5% flat, 3% on USD)
Stocks/ETFs : Wealthsimple Trade, Questrade
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
Did you do your drivers course with an approved ministry approved driving testing company, these can usually lower insurance rates if you did the allotted time as going down G1 to G2 is a big factor and then G2 to G is another big step..

The car would need to be insured under the primary driver and you as secondary. The insurance won’t help that much, you get better rates under your own name. Going from one name to another is subjective so ownership is a big factor in all of this.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2017
93 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: Did you do your drivers course with an approved ministry approved driving testing company, these can usually lower insurance rates if you did the allotted time as going down G1 to G2 is a big factor and then G2 to G is another big step..

The car would need to be insured under the primary driver and you as secondary. The insurance won’t help that much, you get better rates under your own name. Going from one name to another is subjective so ownership is a big factor in all of this.
Hi,

Yes my drivers course was with ministry approved company.

So I already have G2 now. Wouldn't it help me build experience for insurance even if I am the secondary driver ? Let's say after 2 yrs, when I decide to get my own car, I will have 1 yr of G2 driver experience and 1 yr of G driver experience (both as secondary driver). Would it help me reduce the cost of insurance at that time or not ? I am hoping the increase for his insurance is around $100-125 / month which I can pay him for the next 2 yrs (and also get a car to drive)

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
Remember that you actions affect the primary driver rates, so if you are both ok with that than I am sure you are ok.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2017
93 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: Remember that you actions affect the primary driver rates, so if you are both ok with that than I am sure you are ok.
Yes, he is fine with it as long as I pay him the difference (The cost of adding me to his insurance policy)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7672 posts
2101 upvotes
Toronto
GujjuCanuck wrote: Yes, he is fine with it as long as I pay him the difference (The cost of adding me to his insurance policy)
Aside from the additional cost, if you got into an accident while driving his car, it will cost you a lot (as well as your roommate will be upset with it). Better buy a a beater car and your own auto insurance.
Apr 8, 2020
611 posts
406 upvotes
GujjuCanuck wrote: Hi,

Yes my drivers course was with ministry approved company.

So I already have G2 now. Wouldn't it help me build experience for insurance even if I am the secondary driver ? Let's say after 2 yrs, when I decide to get my own car, I will have 1 yr of G2 driver experience and 1 yr of G driver experience (both as secondary driver). Would it help me reduce the cost of insurance at that time or not ? I am hoping the increase for his insurance is around $100-125 / month which I can pay him for the next 2 yrs (and also get a car to drive)

Thank you!
You hope for $100-125 increase ?
you better check , I suspect that your hopes will be crashed Grimacing Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8925 posts
1409 upvotes
reefer123 wrote: You hope for $100-125 increase ?
Agreed here, if living in Ontario you may see much more than that.

On the other note that some posters stated, the idea of having a secondary driver is to insure that they are insured on the vehicle. Even though an accident will fall on the overall coverage, if you as a secondary driver gets in an accident, the overall coverage premium will increase if it’s deemed that you are at fault. The primary insured driver can actually have you removed and with a written statement can insure that you would never drive their vehicle again, his or her insurance premium would not increase, but you can no longer drive the car. If you did and something happened then the insurance company would not cover any at fault incident. If you were not insured, then he/she is fully responsible.

When i was younger, after a few speeding tickets, my parents had me removed from the insurance and a signed affidavit stating i would never drive their car again.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
When do you do your final G2 exit exam?

Where do you currently live?

Have you looked at buying a vehicle and then call around to multiple insurance companies for different quotes to see what the cost is with and without your roommate.

Personally, to build a history you should go on your own and this way your rates will drop quicker than if you were to be a secondary driver and then eventually move to a primary. I dont expect you to be a secondary drives for the rest of your life.

Another thing you can do is use the insurance quote site to give you a ball park of what you MIGHT pay (not always the case, can be cheaper elsewhere).

https://rates.ca/insurance-quotes/auto/ontario

or

https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/car/ontario
__
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
markopas wrote: When do you do your final G2 exit exam?

Where do you currently live?

Have you looked at buying a vehicle and then call around to multiple insurance companies for different quotes to see what the cost is with and without your roommate.

Personally, to build a history you should go on your own and this way your rates will drop quicker than if you were to be a secondary driver and then eventually move to a primary. I dont expect you to be a secondary drives for the rest of your life.

Another thing you can do is use the insurance quote site to give you a ball park of what you MIGHT pay (not always the case, can be cheaper elsewhere).

https://rates.ca/insurance-quotes/auto/ontario

or

https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/car/ontario
Where are you getting your information from?
Telling him to buy his own car and get his own insurance policy will cost him thousands more per year, on top of the price of the car he has to buy.
He clearly started a thread asking how to save money on insurance, not spend more.
Being a secondary driver will not affect his future rates any different than being a primary driver. Insured is insured.

Yes OP, you can absolutely have yourself added. Have your friend phone his insurance company and add you as a secondary driver.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Where are you getting your information from?
Telling him to buy his own car and get his own insurance policy will cost him thousands more per year, on top of the price of the car he has to buy.
He clearly started a thread asking how to save money on insurance, not spend more.
Being a secondary driver will not affect his future rates any different than being a primary driver. Insured is insured.

Yes OP, you can absolutely have yourself added. Have your friend phone his insurance company and add you as a secondary driver.

When HE gets any ticket, all parties rates go up not just the party at fault. Primary and secondary drivers now have to pay for an inflated rate and then when he goes on his own and if within 3-6yrs this will affect the overall rate going on his own. This is why I suggested that he try the sites and see what his rate will be on his own compared to being a secondary driver.
__
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
markopas wrote: When HE gets any ticket, all parties rates go up not just the party at fault. Primary and secondary drivers now have to pay for an inflated rate and then when he goes on his own and if within 3-6yrs this will affect the overall rate going on his own. This is why I suggested that he try the sites and see what his rate will be on his own compared to being a secondary driver.
If he gets a ticket as a secondary or primary driver, his rates may go up.
If the primary driver on the policy gets a ticket, it won't affect the OP's rates when he gets his own policy. it's not his ticket and doesn't follow him.
Your posts have made absolutely no sense.
He will pay more as a primary driver, period.
Being a secondary driver establishes a driving history the same as being a primary driver.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2016
1093 posts
321 upvotes

I am in my 20s and have just got G2. This was something that I kept off for a long time and just got it. I live in toronto and because I don't have any previous driving experience, my car insurance will be high.

Can I add myself as an additional driver in my roommate's car insurance policy ? Both of us have same address on driving license.

I will pay him the difference (for cost increase) but in return I will get to drive his car around sometimes and also build experience as a driver.

Would this help me in lowering my insurance cost down after 1 or 2 years when I actually get my car ? (I will pass G and then get my car)

Thank you for any help!
Gujjubhai...
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4202 posts
24171 upvotes
Shaner wrote: If he gets a ticket as a secondary or primary driver, his rates may go up.
If the primary driver on the policy gets a ticket, it won't affect the OP's rates when he gets his own policy. it's not his ticket and doesn't follow him.
Your posts have made absolutely no sense.
He will pay more as a primary driver, period.
Being a secondary driver establishes a driving history the same as being a primary driver.
Everything discussed has been related the OP so if HIS actions causes him to get a ticket and he is proven guilty, this will more or less affect his insurance including the primary driver and because he is not the PRIMARY driver, he and the primary driver are are most likely going to have their rates inflated.

All I said was for the OP to review all options and check his rates with multiple insurance companies to see how it compares against being a secondary driver. It’s possible that his rates may only be about $100+ more per month depending which companies he goes with.
__
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48389 posts
11674 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
reefer123 wrote: You hope for $100-125 increase ?
In my experience… its the same.

E.g. experienced driver with 10 years experience pays $200/month
Newbie gets added to policy… its now $600/month.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
yes your room mate can add you as an occ'l/secondary driver on their policy. There most likely will be a premium charged. Keep in mind, if you have an accident with their vehicle, it will go on their policy and they will more than likely pay for that accident for several years. Since you are lic'd and reside in the household, your room mate is obligated to advise his insurer of you regardless.

Thank you for any help!
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
[OP]
Jun 30, 2017
93 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all for the replies. This has been helpful.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3081 posts
1404 upvotes
I’m not sure why this post is getting downvoted??

OP asked a very legitimate question and he wasn’t an ass about it like some people who may post the same question and sound entitled about just making their roommate pay the difference or something. He may not be aware of how much he’ll have to pay yet, but he’ll find out soon enough and can decide from there. No matter what, it’ll be more reasonable than getting a beater and being primary on that.