Automotive

New Driver, Non-Owner: What are my insurance options?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 11:47 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2005
22 posts
2 upvotes

New Driver, Non-Owner: What are my insurance options?

I'm currently in preparation for my G2 test and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do for insurance. I've been practicing with my wife's car but it is under her parent's name and insurance. I don't know if I can be added to theirs or if I have to buy a separate non-owner/student driver insurance. I just want to work towards my full license but I'm not planning to do any driving after that, just for emergencies. Would you guys be able to give me some advice on my next steps?
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Don' think you can drive on your in-laws car insurance and pretty sure you cannot get insurance on their car. I am not even sue your Wife can legally be the sole driver of your in-laews car.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Don't know what it's like out there... But we recently lent one of our vehicles to a friend for a few months. My GF called her broker and had her friend added to her policy. Pretty simple. Didn't cost anything extra, but the friend is an experienced driver. You could just offer to pay the increase in your in-laws insurance. But you should be a registered driver in their vehicle, or you risk not being covered.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9341 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
if the vehicle is in your in-laws name as they are the registered owners and your wife listed as primary driver, you can be added to the policy as an occ'l operator. If this vehicle is garaged at your home, then the rating territory should also reflect your location.
vernon_v wrote: I'm currently in preparation for my G2 test and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do for insurance. I've been practicing with my wife's car but it is under her parent's name and insurance. I don't know if I can be added to theirs or if I have to buy a separate non-owner/student driver insurance. I just want to work towards my full license but I'm not planning to do any driving after that, just for emergencies. Would you guys be able to give me some advice on my next steps?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)