• Jan 19th, 2023 11:55 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON

New Enbridge login through Okta and bill delay

My Enbridge bill usually arrives (notification by email) on the 1st-4th day of every month. It just occurred to me that this month I didn't receive that notification. I went online to see what's up and when I got to the login page I was no longer on the Enbridge domain but was on okta.com (enbridgegas.okta.com). My browser didn't offer automatic login since the domain is different. After some hesitation I decided that it wasn't a man-in-the-middle attack (nor woman-in-the-middle :) ). I provided my credentials, it offered me to "create an account", which surprised me, link my phone for account recovery SMS's, select a verification picture, and asked if I wanted to activate a 2FA.

Then surprisingly it took me back to enbridgegas.com to the usual account area where nothing seemed to have changed. But the new bill wasn't there. It seems to be late and I wonder if the two events are related.

When I logged out it took me to enbridgegas.okta.com again and automatically took me back to enbridgegas.com.

I wonder if the same happened to anyone else. If not this may be a heads-up. I am surprised that Enbridge didn't warn about this change by email or mail.

P.S. I never heard of Okta before.
23 replies
Jul 14, 2017
388 posts
65 upvotes
Ontario
alpovs wrote: My Enbridge bill usually arrives (notification by email) on the 1st-4th day of every month. It just occurred to me that this month I didn't receive that notification. I went online to see what's up and when I got to the login page I was no longer on the Enbridge domain but was on okta.com (enbridgegas.okta.com). My browser didn't offer automatic login since the domain is different. After some hesitation I decided that it wasn't a man-in-the-middle attack (nor woman-in-the-middle :) ). I provided my credentials, it offered me to "create an account", which surprised me, link my phone for account recovery SMS's, select a verification picture, and asked if I wanted to activate a 2FA.

Then surprisingly it took me back to enbridgegas.com to the usual account area where nothing seemed to have changed. But the new bill wasn't there. It seems to be late and I wonder if the two events are related.

When I logged out it took me to enbridgegas.okta.com again and automatically took me back to enbridgegas.com.

I wonder if the same happened to anyone else. If not this may be a heads-up. I am surprised that Enbridge didn't warn about this change by email or mail.

P.S. I never heard of Okta before.
I just logged into Enbridge about one minute ago and all is normal for me and no sign of "Okta". H50
Jan 18, 2005
333 posts
148 upvotes
Okta is a very large identity management company that many businesses use to manage the login identities for their employees and customers. They help companies provide a Single Sign On experience between different applications and services that might have separate directory services for their authentication.

One of their features is providing MFA for extra security. It looks like Enbridge is leveraging Okta now to provide their customer login and MFA services.

They probably should have announced it so people would be aware to update their password managers, etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON
Is anybody else's bill late? Mine is late by about 10 days.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2003
1322 posts
157 upvotes
I also didn't get the monthly email, but the e-bill is on time.

Went through the okta process and can see my e-bilil. Maybe completing this process fixes the email notification...?

Just put in a reminder in my calendar to check for the Jan email notification.
May 28, 2012
584 posts
567 upvotes
ONT
LttlScamp wrote: Okta is a very large identity management company that many businesses use to manage the login identities for their employees and customers. They help companies provide a Single Sign On experience between different applications and services that might have separate directory services for their authentication.

One of their features is providing MFA for extra security. It looks like Enbridge is leveraging Okta now to provide their customer login and MFA services.

They probably should have announced it so people would be aware to update their password managers, etc.
https://www.enbridgegas.com/-/media/Ext ... FB1986A15D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got the okta 2FA option.

Also, got email last week that bill ready as per usual. We provide meter readings every month and bill is a doozy. Wait till Jan and Feb bills!!
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON
georvu wrote: Got the okta 2FA option.

Also, got email last week that bill ready as per usual. We provide meter readings every month and bill is a doozy. Wait till Jan and Feb bills!!
My bill is still not there, 12 days late. The last one was on Nov. 1. I also provide meter readings every month as they kind of stopped sending the readers. They estimate and later compare your usage to last year's when it was improperly estimated. LOL! I started to provide readings myself. Occasionally meter readers show up. I see them on my cameras. Last month someone came but no bill. Go figure.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alpovs wrote: My bill is still not there, 12 days late. The last one was on Nov. 1. I also provide meter readings every month as they kind of stopped sending the readers. They estimate and later compare your usage to last year's when it was improperly estimated. LOL! I started to provide readings myself. Occasionally meter readers show up. I see them on my cameras. Last month someone came but no bill. Go figure.
Recall reading that there was some issues with billing earlier this year... thought ENB had resolved but perhaps not in all areas.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5062 posts
1942 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
alpovs wrote: My bill is still not there, 12 days late. The last one was on Nov. 1. I also provide meter readings every month as they kind of stopped sending the readers. They estimate and later compare your usage to last year's when it was improperly estimated. LOL! I started to provide readings myself. Occasionally meter readers show up. I see them on my cameras. Last month someone came but no bill. Go figure.
Last year Enbridge skipped a billing for my account. They added it to the next billing. There were no interest charges as the issue was at their end.
Sep 28, 2003
615 posts
303 upvotes
I logged in through Okta and it returned a 500 error when redirecting back to Enbridge. Going back to the home page gives me a logged in status but there's no account information. It doesn't know my address or account number. It's like partially migrated account or something. Well, here's hoping they figure it out at some point. Must be fun for those working on it!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON
20 days later still no bill for me. It was due on the 1st. Looks like they decided to skip it this month. No communication, nothing. Oh, I miss Union Gas.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alpovs wrote: 20 days later still no bill for me. It was due on the 1st. Looks like they decided to skip it this month. No communication, nothing. Oh, I miss Union Gas.
Did you set up online account and try submitting meter reading?

Friends of ours also not receive bill.

Doubt they will charge late charge since issue on their side but could estimate or just pay bit more then last year same time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON
georvu wrote: Did you set up online account and try submitting meter reading?

Friends of ours also not receive bill.

Doubt they will charge late charge since issue on their side but could estimate or just pay bit more then last year same time.
Of course, my online account was set up years ago and I actually submit readings every month because otherwise they overestimate the consumption and they rarely read the meter themselves. I don't expect late charges because I wasn't late on payments. But some communication from them on the delayed/skipped bill would have been nice. It seems I am not alone as you mentioned. Maybe their computers are tired issuing bills. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
alpovs wrote: Of course, my online account was set up years ago and I actually submit readings every month because otherwise they overestimate the consumption and they rarely read the meter themselves. I don't expect late charges because I wasn't late on payments. But some communication from them on the delayed/skipped bill would have been nice. It seems I am not alone as you mentioned. Maybe their computers are tired issuing bills. :)
Not as tired as we are paying Enbridge, Hydro, and Water bills!! Angry Face
Dec 27, 2022
1 posts
Sarc wrote: I logged in through Okta and it returned a 500 error when redirecting back to Enbridge. Going back to the home page gives me a logged in status but there's no account information. It doesn't know my address or account number. It's like partially migrated account or something. Well, here's hoping they figure it out at some point. Must be fun for those working on it!
I had issues too. I think it's because I used a gmail address with a "+" sign in it. I called their number from https://www.enbridgegas.com/contact-us (1-877-362-7434) and got them to change the email address and I was able to login.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7211 posts
4882 upvotes
SW ON
I submit meter reading monthly and they send reminders. The last reminded stated "Please send us a reading by December 30, 2022 to help ensure it is reflected on your next bill." Today, December 29 I submitted a reading and got this in response "Your meter reading has been recorded. It may not be reflected on your next bill exactly as you entered it, but it will assist with ongoing billing accuracy."

Oh, well...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8120 posts
2073 upvotes
Ottawa
i can't get the stupid 2fa to come in on my bell phone, what are others doing to view their bills?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2083 posts
1170 upvotes
Oakville
Sarc wrote: I logged in through Okta and it returned a 500 error when redirecting back to Enbridge. Going back to the home page gives me a logged in status but there's no account information. It doesn't know my address or account number. It's like partially migrated account or something. Well, here's hoping they figure it out at some point. Must be fun for those working on it!
juharris wrote: I had issues too. I think it's because I used a gmail address with a "+" sign in it. I called their number from https://www.enbridgegas.com/contact-us (1-877-362-7434) and got them to change the email address and I was able to login.
Same issue for me. I am still getting the logon error 500 because of the plus symbol in my email address.

I told them I don't want to change my email address to another account without a plus symbol.

At least I had the option to email me the PDF invoice already enabled, so I don't have to log on to still get my bill emailed to me every month, and I can still submit meter readings without logging on to My account.

So, I can wait for them to fix this logon issue.

I just submitted a ticket for the web developers to fix this issue using their agent chatbot, though there is no ETA when this will be fixed. Others should open a ticket to put some urgency on fixing this, if you have the same issue. Developers won't fix this if only a few users are impacted, but will prioritize a fix if enough users are impacted by the Okta update, and don't want to change their email address.