None
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish

New faster router/bridge?

I've got the dir-655 connected to my bell home hub router as a bridge/access point. Mainly because of the location of the bell hub and layout of my place.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement wifi router/bridge/access point that had better take and sports the new wifi access standard?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20408 posts
8445 upvotes
Toronto
Follow the hot deals threads, the discussions go well beyond pricing and cover performance aspects. You should be shopping for something that is dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) and include AC. Pretty much anything that is newer than 2-3 years old will have these features.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
will888 wrote: Follow the hot deals threads, the discussions go well beyond pricing and cover performance aspects. You should be shopping for something that is dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) and include AC. Pretty much anything that is newer than 2-3 years old will have these features.
How come I would want dual band? Isn't just using the 5ghz range good/better?
Nov 28, 2013
501 posts
226 upvotes
The 2.4GHz band is overcrowded, unless you live in a single house with a large property (so that there are almost no neighbors with Wifi reaching into your home).

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... less-crowd

5GHz has shorter range but less interference and noise.

This is extremely noticeable if you do a large network file transfer over 2.4GHz at 8pm vs 4am. You should notice a huge speed difference (unless you park your Wifi device right beside your wireless router).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2782 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Popular choices are the ASUS RT-AC68 (AC68U/AC68W/AC68R) series and the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.
Keep in mind that tweaking may be involved depending on devices being used and your home setup.

For additional ideas: SmallNetBuilder

For a budget model, TP-Link Archer C7 v2 is popular.
NB: That is hardware revision 2.0 not revision 1.0 or 3.0
A review: TheWirecutter
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20408 posts
8445 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote: How come I would want dual band? Isn't just using the 5ghz range good/better?
As explained, 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands have their advantages and disadvantages. On a dual band router, it is a simple matter of enabling both frequencies, use the same SSID, encryption and passcode. The wifi devices should be able to seemlessly find the right band to connect to.