• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 5:44 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa

New Fees - Jet Blue is the First

If flying Jet Blue, "travelers who booked Blue Basic, the airline’s cheapest option, won’t be allowed to use overhead bin space".
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/16/jetblue ... fares.html

" if you have booked a Blue Basic fare, any carry-on bag brought to the gate (aside from a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you) will incur a fee and need to be checked. The fee is $65 (if it would be your 1st or 2nd checked bag) or $180 (if it’s your 3rd)."
https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airport/ ... nformation

If one airline starts...then the others are sure to follow.

Personally, travelers with so much carry on has been a real irritant for me for a very long time. I have always been p'd that I cannot find overhead space because folks don't want to check their multi bags in and the gate personnel don't do anything about it. I am glad Jet Blue is starting this.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
27 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10250 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: If flying Jet Blue, "travelers who booked Blue Basic, the airline’s cheapest option, won’t be allowed to use overhead bin space".

" if you have booked a Blue Basic fare, any carry-on bag brought to the gate (aside from a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you) will incur a fee and need to be checked. The fee is $65 (if it would be your 1st or 2nd checked bag) or $180 (if it’s your 3rd)."

Personally, travelers with so much carry on has been a real irritant for me for a very long time. I have always been p'd that I cannot find overhead space because folks don't want to check their multi bags in and the gate personnel don't do anything about it. I am glad Jet Blue is starting this.
I think other carriers already had this? United basic for example doesn't let you use overhead bins except for transatlantic or certain routes to South America
On trans-Atlantic flights and flights to and from El Salvador, Panama and South America operated by United and United Express®, your carry-on baggage allowance is the same as for standard Economy tickets.

For all other Basic Economy tickets, you'll be allowed to bring on board one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Mobility aids and other assistive devices are also permitted. You will not be allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. If you're traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and bring a carry-on bag to the gate, your bag will need to be checked and you'll be required to pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge (payment by credit card only). Please see the Carry-on Baggage page for more information.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/he ... onomy.html

I guess maybe for United, they're not saying explicitly you can't place the personal item in overhead bib though they do ask on full flights for people to out personal items under the seat
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Considering the market for short haul combined with minimalist packing, I'm not entirely surprised they went in this direction. Aside from their sun destinations, most of Jetblue's market is internal and probably relies on people visiting friends/family with minimal packing.

For most domestic (and US) travel I do, I usually bring a backpack's worth of stuff so it fits underneath the seat.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
uber_shnitz wrote: Considering the market for short haul combined with minimalist packing, I'm not entirely surprised they went in this direction. Aside from their sun destinations, most of Jetblue's market is internal and probably relies on people visiting friends/family with minimal packing.

For most domestic (and US) travel I do, I usually bring a backpack's worth of stuff so it fits underneath the seat.
Not surprised either but the main point was who is next and when will all airlines do this?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Pete_Coach wrote: Not surprised either but the main point was who is next and when will all airlines do this?
It'll probably go by sector/market. The ultra-low cost airlines of Europe and Asia already charge for carry-ones beyond their sometimes ridiculously small sizes (which basically reduces the carry on to personal item size) so I would assume if an airline identifies with ultra low cost or at least services a more domestic market primarily they would go that route (or maybe apply the change to those routes specifically). I recall signing up for Bangkok Airways' rewards program purely because they waived the baggage limits (and associated fees) if I did :lol:

For the long haul carriers, I don't think this will go through both because of need and typically the long haul flyers position themselves higher up on the value scale so the expectation is "frills" (so to speak). We've seen that long haul international is the weak spot of most ultra low cost carriers (with WOW air being the most recent example in memory) because the market and economies of these flights is different.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
uber_shnitz wrote: It'll probably go by sector/market. The ultra-low cost airlines of Europe and Asia already charge for carry-ones beyond their sometimes ridiculously small sizes (which basically reduces the carry on to personal item size) so I would assume if an airline identifies with ultra low cost or at least services a more domestic market primarily they would go that route (or maybe apply the change to those routes specifically). I recall signing up for Bangkok Airways' rewards program purely because they waived the baggage limits (and associated fees) if I did :lol:

For the long haul carriers, I don't think this will go through both because of need and typically the long haul flyers position themselves higher up on the value scale so the expectation is "frills" (so to speak). We've seen that long haul international is the weak spot of most ultra low cost carriers (with WOW air being the most recent example in memory) because the market and economies of these flights is different.
If there is a buck to be made....it will happen on all carriers. Buy the cheapest non refundable ticket and pay extra for everything.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11554 posts
5382 upvotes
Moving target
Can’t say I disagree. Bin space battles happen on most narrow body air craft esp that embrarer junk.

Why not put it under your seat? Safer doesn’t really impact foot room (well it does but still) plus the wording doesn’t say if your coat is not allowed up top on basic. The amount of bin space people use on jackets is frustrating.

This is why priority boarding is so important for routine flyers.

Other jerk move that needs to stop is people sitting in the back of the back dropping bags in business or the front of the air craft.

A lot of this seems trivial but when you’re flying multiple times per week. These behaviours get annoying. All while mr tourist or grandma visitor thinks they’re sneaky because those of us who fly often don’t call people out.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
Wonderful idea ! Too many cheap customers with tons of carry on because they do not want to pay extra on their basic fare for checked in bags..

I've had delays on flights because of this.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20808 posts
6623 upvotes
London
StatsGuy wrote: I think other carriers already had this? United basic for example doesn't let you use overhead bins except for transatlantic or certain routes to South America

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/he ... onomy.html

I guess maybe for United, they're not saying explicitly you can't place the personal item in overhead bib though they do ask on full flights for people to out personal items under the seat
United would board basic last. Once the higher fares were boarded, the flight attendants would close the all the overhead bins and then basic was allowed to board

I believe Delta and American Basic started off with "no carry on", however changed back because their basic fares were being excluded by booking engines
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 840313002/

The flip side of the change for Jet Blue basic carry on is that the other classes will be guaranteed a carry-on spot in the overhead. If they run out, you get a $25 credit (plus the carry on gets checked for free)
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 18th, 2021 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Yah, cabin hogs have been getting so out of control it needs to stop. Pax with cabin roller, large duffle and purse struggle down the isle like a mountain donkey full of supplies navigating a narrow pass...it is unbelievably.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
XmasTreelights wrote: Yah, cabin hogs have been getting so out of control it needs to stop. Pax with cabin roller, large duffle and purse struggle down the isle like a mountain donkey full of supplies navigating a narrow pass...it is unbelievably.
I think wheels on suitcases and other bags is the single worst invention for travel. When you had to physically carry stuff, you packed less.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2393 posts
615 upvotes
A boat load of delays daily from excess carry-ons for years. It was about time something is done.
Banned
Feb 3, 2021
81 posts
94 upvotes
I always wondered why it wasn't the other way around. Have a check-in bag free, but charge for carry-on (since it causes delays and is very inconvenient when all bins are taken). Until I found out passenger flights used the empty hold for other cargo paid by companies.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
SharmaLe wrote: I always wondered why it wasn't the other way around. Have a check-in bag free, but charge for carry-on (since it causes delays and is very inconvenient when all bins are taken). Until I found out passenger flights used the empty hold for other cargo paid by companies.
Yeah, the self loading cargo isn't always the main income earner on a plane.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19738 posts
28634 upvotes
Vancouver
SharmaLe wrote: I always wondered why it wasn't the other way around. Have a check-in bag free, but charge for carry-on (since it causes delays and is very inconvenient when all bins are taken). Until I found out passenger flights used the empty hold for other cargo paid by companies.
THIS. A thousand times this. Carry-ons make it more convenient for that one passenger while making it less comfortable for everyone else. That's what should be getting the fee.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: If flying Jet Blue, "travelers who booked Blue Basic, the airline’s cheapest option, won’t be allowed to use overhead bin space".

3 bags is ridiculous for someone to take I am okay with that, but a fee to use an overhead bin space for even having a single bag is pushing it. I would be okay with under the seat but there is barely enough room to put your feet as it is. If work travel ever happens again I won't care, I can just expense it, but personal travel stinks. For personal travel if its something driveable I would opt to do that, much simplier throw whatever you want in your vehicle and come and go as you please, I think once travel for real picks up I expect having to arrive for a domestic flight in the same timing as an international and that in itself from a time perspective may make driving a simple choice.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Now this I would be totally okay with and it makes sense. I think that one bag should be free and if that means its checked so be it, no issue. With the number of times though that they ask people to gate check bags, I am thinking the cargo hold is never totally full.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Yeah, the self loading cargo isn't always the main income earner on a plane.
In the age of COVID, this cargo-loaded passenger routes are actually the lifeline of most airlines worldwide now.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
JACKIE26 wrote: 3 bags is ridiculous for someone to take I am okay with that, but a fee to use an overhead bin space for even having a single bag is pushing it. I would be okay with under the seat but there is barely enough room to put your feet as it is. If work travel ever happens again I won't care, I can just expense it, but personal travel stinks. For personal travel if its something driveable I would opt to do that, much simplier throw whatever you want in your vehicle and come and go as you please, I think once travel for real picks up I expect having to arrive for a domestic flight in the same timing as an international and that in itself from a time perspective may make driving a simple choice.
Sounds like you don't travel much LOL
The point, besides generating revenue, is that the carry ons that people are bringing has gotten out of control. As they say, it all has to go under the seat in front of you or you pay extra....and that includes the overhead bin.
As others have already mentioned, there are almost daily delays because there is so much carry on baggage and people are putting their junk anywhere they can, not over their heads because that space is already full.
So, for me as a frequent traveler, I think it is a good thing.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: Sounds like you don't travel much LOL
The point, besides generating revenue, is that the carry ons that people are bringing has gotten out of control. As they say, it all has to go under the seat in front of you or you pay extra....and that includes the overhead bin.
As others have already mentioned, there are almost daily delays because there is so much carry on baggage and people are putting their junk anywhere they can, not over their heads because that space is already full.
So, for me as a frequent traveler, I think it is a good thing.
I don't travel now :( but 60-80K miles every year for work. I agree that people drag to much crap with them, its always the people that never go anywhere that drag half their house wiht them. It became a joke with AC Elite and Super Elite when they called for preboarding everyone partically got up because everyone qualified LOL

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)