New food & drink product finds

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2022 1:17 am
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2007
767 posts
639 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: I found the cheeseburger variety. It’s not bad. But man the bags are small now lol. Price is the same. Didn’t they have cheeseburger flavour before?
Correct, the infamous Harvey's collab of 2015. Yes, we have waited 4.5 years for their return. Relish it. And I love the notes of relish in it.

Regarding the size,
2015: 215g
2020: 190g

Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14471 posts
6959 upvotes
Toronto
These Sara Lee mini muffins are fairly poor value but since they introduced two more varieties I guess they're selling

Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13215 posts
2607 upvotes
Vancouver
jenviea wrote: These Sara Lee mini muffins are fairly poor value but since they introduced two more varieties I guess they're selling

Gosh I’m curious now lol. What section of the grocery store would I find these? I can’t find them within grocery store online.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14471 posts
6959 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Gosh I’m curious now lol. What section of the grocery store would I find these? I can’t find them within grocery store online.
I don't see them in all supermarkets but the ones I do they're near the snack cakes (Little Debbie, Vachon, Hostess)
Jan 22, 2007
767 posts
639 upvotes
NEW packaging and maybe some new flavours? Sobeys/FreshCo off brand

Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
I tried the cheeseburger Ruffles. Strong beef, strong chargrill flavours and a lesser ketchup-mustard-relish tang. Much more beef and char. I would have liked it more condimenty.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
jenviea wrote: These Sara Lee mini muffins are fairly poor value but since they introduced two more varieties I guess they're selling

I saw these at Zehrs (loblaws) but hey are regular $4 sale $2 and I'm just not that excited. They have a blueberry as well but still.

I'm eyeing the Hostess Pops which are chocolate cake, chocolate icing rosette, chocolate dip. Ding Dongs are back as King Dons, I always thought that was a Don Cherry thing because they are shaped like hockey pucks and you know Don Cherry, ding dong...sure made sense as a Canadian kid and yes the bugger really was broadcasting 40 years ago when I was old enough to believe this.

Saw these at Zehrs today, Sweet Loren's "clean ingredient" cookie dough. Clean, you mean the white sugar? $4.69

Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
Snickers Creamy Almond Butter squares. 2 x 19g = 38g or about 3/4 of a regular Snickers bar. It's a layer of smooth toasted almond butter over a layer of caramel with chopped almonds in thick milk chocolate. No peanuts though they are listed as a possible allergen. It's very soft and melty, easily squashed and a mess if you want to hold onto it and nibble instead of engulfing it in one bite (and I don't think that I could do that because it is so rich with sticky nut butter, though it does seem less sweet than original Snickers). Maybe I will try it refrigerated next time. I would buy it again. Zehrs, London Drugs online, $1.00.

Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1869 upvotes
Scarborough
lecale wrote: Ding Dongs are back as King Dons
Haven't they always been called King Dons up here in Canada? I can recall them as such since childhood like over 30 years ago. Don't they call them Ding Dongs in the States?
Jan 3, 2010
164 posts
232 upvotes
Dieppe, NB

Seen in this week's Sobeys flyer. I believe they were out this time last year as well.
Those who can't farm, farm celery.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7785 posts
4680 upvotes
Mississauga
Strafe1 wrote: Haven't they always been called King Dons up here in Canada? I can recall them as such since childhood like over 30 years ago. Don't they call them Ding Dongs in the States?
I remember them as King Dons as a kid growing up in the 80’s. I also remember that they were individually wrapped in aluminum foil.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: Haven't they always been called King Dons up here in Canada? I can recall them as such since childhood like over 30 years ago. Don't they call them Ding Dongs in the States?
Yes exactly. Haven't seen them in a while though...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
Tried the Kit Kat Gold. Much nicer texture than the Hershey Gold bar because waxiness was not an issue. Not as melty as cocoa chocolate though. Seems sweeter than ordinary chocolate and the dulce de leche flavour is overwhelming. I thought this would have a more gentle flavour. The one good thing about Hershey Gold is that it had relatively strong tasting peanuts to challenge/balance this flavour. The Kit Kat Gold reminds me of pure caramelized sweetened condensed milk (cover a can with water and boil it for 3 hours and it becomes a rich dulche de leche). Too strong tasting. Chocolate covered Aero Gold probably would have been a better pick and they should drop "gold" for "caramel" or synonym.

The best mass-market non-cocoa chocolate remains Ritter Sport Nut Collection White Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
Skittles Brightside: watermelon, paradise punch, kiwi banana, pink lemonade, and tangerine
London Drugs $1.59

I once won a massive of Skittles in a contest. The delivery driver was wondering wtf was in the back of his truck making that sound every time he took a corner. 8kg of sugar pellets, baby! Not a big proponent of Skittles but Brightside has a couple new & interesting flavours. Would buy just for the tangerine and watermelon.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
New Ritter Sport "Colourful Variety" series seasonal flavours. London Drugs $2.49

Hula Hula Coconut Wafer (in milk chocolate) meh.

Marhaba Yogurt Honey Hazelnuts (in milk chocolate) sounds like a resurrection of the classic, EU-only Ritter Sport Olympia. Would buy.

Buenos Dias White Mango Passionfruit. Ritter does and excellent high cocoa butter (and cocoa butter only) white chocolate. Must try this one. It's got to make up for the Whittaker's Hawke's Bay Braeburn Apple with Vanilla in White Chocolate 100g tablet I tried last time. Why is it that no one else can manage a white chocolate that doesn't have the mouthfeel of a candle?

I have had good luck finding seasonal flavours at Sobeys and Metro. Loblaw banners seem to stick to the standards plus Nut Collection. SDM only carries Nut Collection and minis. London Drugs always has a good assortment.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13215 posts
2607 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought a Rittersport last week. It looked new. It was so yummy. I forgot Rittersport is pretty good. A bit pricey imo. But yummy.

The flavour I bought was this one.
Images
  • 93AD0869-4D1A-4EE8-837C-0BD4244BAC9C.jpeg
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11742 posts
6664 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: I bought a Rittersport last week. It looked new. It was so yummy. I forgot Rittersport is pretty good. A bit pricey imo. But yummy.

The flavour I bought was this one.
The Cacao Collection is pretty new, in the last year or two I think. There are 3:

55% cacao with milk, Ghana
61% cacao, Nicaragua
74% cacao, Peru

versus regular line:

30% cacao with milk, "Alpine Milk"
35% cacao with milk, "Fine Milk"
50% cacao "Dark"

If my favourite is Alpine Milk, am I still a chocolate person? ha ha

I think I am going to break down and finally try Dark Almond Orange (almond pieces and sweet orange peel) which is 50%. I think that is as dark as I can go.

The bars are 100g tablets so the prices are comparable to any other tablet bar. Best compared to something like Nestle L'Atelier that is also $3.99/100g regular price. Canada got its style of chocolate from the UK so most of it has fairly strong caramel notes (looking at you, Dairy Milk). Ritter Sport is continental style (Germany) and does not have the caramel element. #1 reason to buy is to get a break from the ubiquitous caramelized sugar notes in chocolate here. British chocolate reduces the milk together with the sugar ==> caramel. Continental type chocolate reduces the milk and then adds sugar==> no caramel, purer chocolate flavour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

drewber83