None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1996 upvotes
GTA West
lecale wrote: A bunch of food trends coming in 2022:

hibiscus in beverages
We got into hibiscus in the Yucatan, where "agua de jamaica" is a staple drink in any restaurant. They have the dried flowers at all the markets there and at their Walmart too. They tend to put too much sugar in it though. When we came back we got some dried petals at a latin grocery here and made it at home. It is tart, like cranberry. I have also enjoyed hibiscus drinks at Panera's during the summer.

I like this drink as well as pomegranate juice to be served in wine glasses, for people who don't drink alcohol but like to look the part.

Speaking of Latin American stores and fruit, I love to get the Guava cheese they carry. These are thick blocks of dried Guava juice/fruit. I usually get it at Nations. Guava is a flavour that survives processing well. My wife actually made a couple of jars of Guava jam yesterday, from a small box of the fruit.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: We got into hibiscus in the Yucatan, where "agua de jamaica" is a staple drink in any restaurant. They have the dried flowers at all the markets there and at their Walmart too. They tend to put too much sugar in it though. When we came back we got some dried petals at a latin grocery here and made it at home. It is tart, like cranberry. I have also enjoyed hibiscus drinks at Panera's during the summer.

I like this drink as well as pomegranate juice to be served in wine glasses, for people who don't drink alcohol but like to look the part.

Speaking of Latin American stores and fruit, I love to get the Guava cheese they carry. These are thick blocks of dried Guava juice/fruit. I usually get it at Nations. Guava is a flavour that survives processing well. My wife actually made a couple of jars of Guava jam yesterday, from a small box of the fruit.
I love guavas. I cannot find the pink 1s where I am though, just the white 1s. I have seen guava cheese but did not know it is as easy to use as it is. I see recipes where people are making a very simple dessert by just folding it up in puff pastry & baking.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1996 upvotes
GTA West
lecale wrote: I love guavas. I cannot find the pink 1s where I am though, just the white 1s. I have seen guava cheese but did not know it is as easy to use as it is. I see recipes where people are making a very simple dessert by just folding it up in puff pastry & baking.
The people I know from tropical countries all say the guavas back home are soft and delicious. But I never found any here that measure up to that. When we were in Hawaii they were growing wild along the road but they were not good. My wife used the whites for her jam. As for the cheese we just eat it like candy or a Turkish delight.

But I usually like the passion fruit they have in the asian stores here. (the yellow ones, not the purple).
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: The people I know from tropical countries all say the guavas back home are soft and delicious. But I never found any here that measure up to that. When we were in Hawaii they were growing wild along the road but they were not good. My wife used the whites for her jam. As for the cheese we just eat it like candy or a Turkish delight.

But I usually like the passion fruit they have in the asian stores here. (the yellow ones, not the purple).
The yellow 1s are a specific species of passion fruit that is called a "granadilla." I think they are in season now? They are a southern hemisphere fruit whereas the purple 1s will grow in some of the southern US, not that many ship from there.

I find guavas do not ripen the best after their travels. The white 1s Psidium guajava are popular in Asia, the pink 1s Psidium cattleyanum/Psidium littoralei are the kind they have in South Africa, "strawberry guava." I had a strawberry guava plant from http://www.richters.com years ago that grew nicely but never put out flowers. They only carry the white 1 now.

I got a pomegranate from Richter's to flower & fruit though as an Ontario patio plant. They like to be baked dry & that will trigger little pinkish-white tube/bell-like flowers. Great project.

I'm a big mangosteen fan too, though I don't often shell out for it. It is such a pity that these fruits only show up in mainstream grocery stores overchilled & abused.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1996 upvotes
GTA West
lecale wrote: The yellow 1s are a specific species of passion fruit that is called a "granadilla." I think they are in season now? They are a southern hemisphere fruit whereas the purple 1s will grow in some of the southern US, not that many ship from there.

I find guavas do not ripen the best after their travels. The white 1s Psidium guajava are popular in Asia, the pink 1s Psidium cattleyanum/Psidium littoralei are the kind they have in South Africa, "strawberry guava." I had a strawberry guava plant from http://www.richters.com years ago that grew nicely but never put out flowers. They only carry the white 1 now.

I got a pomegranate from Richter's to flower & fruit though as an Ontario patio plant. They like to be baked dry & that will trigger little pinkish-white tube/bell-like flowers. Great project.

I'm a big mangosteen fan too, though I don't often shell out for it. It is such a pity that these fruits only show up in mainstream grocery stores overchilled & abused.
I'm getting hungry - I think we need to start a new tropical fruit thread.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7435 posts
2485 upvotes
Limited edition Pringles. Fiery Loaded Nachos and Cheddar and Sour Cream.
Images
  • 20220119_173731.jpg
  • 20220118_180327.jpg
Jan 3, 2010
151 posts
212 upvotes
Dieppe, NB
bonterra wrote: Limited edition Pringles. Fiery Loaded Nachos and Cheddar and Sour Cream.
Had both. Loved the Cheddar & Sour Cream. Found the loaded nachos a little too spicy personally but if you love heat you'll love these!
Those who can't farm, farm celery.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18709 posts
5651 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote: I am waiting for the birthday cake Oreos
Hopefully the wait won't be long.
Oreos were invented in 1912, so this DOES make it a good year to bring them back to celebrate 110 years. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
Sorbetero ice cream ($10.99) & ice cream bars ($5.99) in fanciful flavours. Note they have a "Queso" variety illustrated with little cubes of cheese! Also adzuki red bean, ume, coconut, mango, etc. Frescho.

sorbetero.jpg
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
Cheddar Folios sighted for the 1st time in Frescho, $6.99

cheddarfolios.jpg
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
Pop Daddy popcorn PRETZELS in Garlic Parmesan, Dill Pickle & Cinnamon Sugar at Freshco.

popdaddy.jpg
Last edited by lecale on Jan 24th, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 3, 2010
151 posts
212 upvotes
Dieppe, NB
lecale wrote: Pop Daddy popcorn in Garlic Parmesan, Dill Pickle & Cinnamon Sugar at Freshco.

popdaddy.jpg
Those are pretzels sir not popcorn haha I had them from a needs convenience store back in the summer
Those who can't farm, farm celery.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
drewber83 wrote: Those are pretzels sir not popcorn haha I had them from a needs convenience store back in the summer
I stand corrected! They were in a display with Pressels pretzel crisps, I should have caught on!
Feb 12, 2017
79 posts
55 upvotes
drewber83 wrote: Those are pretzels sir not popcorn haha I had them from a needs convenience store back in the summer
Do they taste good? Want to try the garlic parm.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6410 posts
2485 upvotes
Montreal
lecale wrote: Sorbetero ice cream ($10.99) & ice cream bars ($5.99) in fanciful flavours. Note they have a "Queso" variety illustrated with little cubes of cheese! Also adzuki red bean, ume, coconut, mango, etc. Frescho.
Awesome. That's Filipino ice cream - sorbetes which is sold by a sorbetero.

Hard to tell from the picture, but the purple one looks like ube macapuno which is purple yam and young coconut. Very tasty.

Queso is a super popular flavour in the Philippines and actually does have chunks of cheddar in it. In all my time in the Philippines, I could never bring myself to try it. I was always worried I'd hate it and be stuck with a big tub in my freezer afterwards.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11506 posts
6348 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Awesome. That's Filipino ice cream - sorbetes which is sold by a sorbetero.

Hard to tell from the picture, but the purple one looks like ube macapuno which is purple yam and young coconut. Very tasty.

Queso is a super popular flavour in the Philippines and actually does have chunks of cheddar in it. In all my time in the Philippines, I could never bring myself to try it. I was always worried I'd hate it and be stuck with a big tub in my freezer afterwards.
I thought it might be cheesecake-flavour-like. Even if it were sweet cheddar I think I would like it! Ube macapuno sounds good too. The price is harsh but the flavours are so unique. I wish they had the red bean in ice cream, not just bars.

See everyone is debating the purpose of Freshco but they do have some great international brands. In my store the international freezer case stretches across 1 wall. (They had pig blood beside the ice cream but that got cropped out, but also tocino & longganisa (sp?) & a bunch of other delicacies. Worth a trip.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)