• Aug 16th, 2021 8:40 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes

New Fridge

We have an 11 year old Kitchen Aid fridge that stopped working 3 days ago.

We have moved everything to the garage fridge for the time being, but it’s a Band Aid fix.

It was a Kitchenaid KBFS25EVMS2
French doors
Freezer on the bottom
Water dispenser inside the fridge

We are now fighting with the appliance back orders.

Option 1: Whirlpool WRF535SWHZ
ETA mid- September

Option 2: Kitchen Aid KRFF305ESS
ETA October - November

Option 3: Kitchen Aid KRFF507HPS
ETA next week

Option 3 is $1,000 more and my wife is totally against the water and ice dispenser on the door. She was told years ago they break easily and she has that idea stuck.

She’s shooting down Option 3, but for me the extra $1000 is worth having a fridge.

Does anyone have any other options to suggest?

Has to be 36” wide, 70” tall, and under 34” deep without handles. It’s a tight squeeze getting it into the cabinet.

Any brands Thumbs Up Sign

Any brands Thumbs Down Sign and avoid at all costs?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13110 posts
4710 upvotes
Ontario
Have you looked into repairing the old one? Whats wrong with it?
Maybe the repair is nothing crazy and will give you more time to decide on a new fridge if you really want one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7181 posts
9153 upvotes
The NORTH
Just don't get a samsung.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1824 posts
396 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anything but a Samsung.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1885 posts
1044 upvotes
London
Same. Our Samsung has been the worst appliance we have ever owned.
We are also in the market (not an immediate need). The french doors are annoying to us. We open both doors everytime.

We have always had good luck with KitchenAid, but our good luck means little since it isjust luck.

Of the four times we had our Samsung repaired (extended warranty and the full refund) every tech said having a french door fridge with water and ice maker is trouble because the ice maker freezer is inside the fridge portion and is always fighting.

We are going for a straight side by side. Haven’t decided which.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9988 posts
4274 upvotes
Vaughan
I never like Samsung of their defectives. I also not like LG of their availability and expensive parts. Avoid those 2 brands if you can.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Have you looked into repairing the old one? Whats wrong with it?
Maybe the repair is nothing crazy and will give you more time to decide on a new fridge if you really want one.
Getting someone out to repair it is worse than trying to source a new fridge.

Real hard getting anyone to actually show up
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9988 posts
4274 upvotes
Vaughan
Easto wrote: Getting someone out to repair it is worse than trying to source a new fridge.

Real hard getting anyone to actually show up
Sorry hear, I recommend fix it up for now and buy new one. We were same boat 2 winters ago. Fixed the old fridge (Whirlpool Gold 20 years old), ordered new one (Maytag) in Sept 2020 but it took months to receive it (Mar 2021). Old fridge became garage fridge, it works very well after minor replacement, better than new fridge in my opinion.

Your wife is right. Avoid fridge with water and ice dispenser, they break and take space. Try to go with basic fridge, it lasts longer and less chance to break down.
Last edited by teoconca on Aug 13th, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3668 posts
807 upvotes
Usually whirlpool (kitchenaid is under) easiest to fix, Takes a bit of playing around to root cause it, but totally worth it. Our kitchenaid stopped getting cold air and it was a simple fix with a part replacement
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7866 posts
4664 upvotes
West GTEH!
kr0zet wrote: Just don't get a samsung.
TheGreatGazoo wrote: Ditto. I made a big mistake buying ours.
bryan35 wrote: Anything but a Samsung.
Drakestar wrote: Same. Our Samsung has been the worst appliance we have ever owned.
We are also in the market (not an immediate need). The french doors are annoying to us. We open both doors everytime.

We have always had good luck with KitchenAid, but our good luck means little since it isjust luck.

Of the four times we had our Samsung repaired (extended warranty and the full refund) every tech said having a french door fridge with water and ice maker is trouble because the ice maker freezer is inside the fridge portion and is always fighting.

We are going for a straight side by side. Haven’t decided which.
kwu0914 wrote: No Samsung
teoconca wrote: I never like Samsung of their defectives. I also not like LG of their availability and expensive parts. Avoid those 2 brands if you can.
Yes, Another Vote NOT to buy Samsung or LG Fridge.
I've heard bad stories for both from friends.
😎
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2432 posts
3202 upvotes
West GTA
Your wife is right about the ice makers in the doors. They break all the time, and sometimes they break catastrophically (leak water on the ground). If you want a reliable fridge, get one that has no smart features, no ice maker, no water dispenser and a drain tube you can access and coils you can clean. By five years your ice maker will typically fail, your smart fridge will be part of a bot net for organized crime before the control board and/or screen breaks, and your coils will be so full of dust your compressor will be screaming.

If you must have an ice maker, get one that dumps into a box in the freezer. It'll still break, but it'll take longer. Consider getting a valve put on the line to the fridge so you can turn it off when you are away for extended periods. I have an acquaintance whose ice maker flooded their kitchen while they were on vacation.
Sep 21, 2005
301 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
Whirlpool is the way to go... plain old simple fridge.... The whirlpool has good reviews on overall temperature management (keeps things cold and fresh). The only downside is the racks and storage materials are made out of cheap plastic and it breaks easily.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1262 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
magnodrome wrote: Whirlpool is the way to go... plain old simple fridge.... The whirlpool has good reviews on overall temperature management (keeps things cold and fresh). The only downside is the racks and storage materials are made out of cheap plastic and it breaks easily.
Tell me about it... The rack in my new Whirlpool fridge broke after 3 months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1728 posts
1239 upvotes
Coolant leaked out.

Too expensive to fix, ordered a new one. Here on Wednesday.

Went with what we could get in reasonable time - Whirlpool

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)