Home & Garden

New Frigidaire Gallery Freezer compressor is SO noisy?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 2:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

New Frigidaire Gallery Freezer compressor is SO noisy?

We just purchased this from Costco:

https://www.costco.ca/Frigidaire-Galler ... 30858.html

And when the compressor goes off on the freezer it is very loud. It actually made the two year old who was visiting yesterday cry, and the trades people here mentioned how loud it is. I’ve worked for a commercial refrigeration manufacturer and I don’t think the small commercial compressors were this loud.

How can I tell if this is normal, or I should return it for another one?

Edit to add: it sounds the same as this, but only lasts for ten seconds when the compressor cycles on.
Last edited by Shaynelle on Mar 19th, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11913 posts
6442 upvotes
Brampton
Have you made sure your fridge is leveled Sometimes if it's not leveled it could cause rattles. If yes then it's likely defective if it's crazy loud. You could call Frigidaire support and ask them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
tebore wrote: Have you made sure your fridge is leveled Sometimes if it's not leveled it could cause rattles. If yes then it's likely defective if it's crazy loud. You could call Frigidaire support and ask them.
Good idea about checking if it’s level. Hopefully that’s the problem. I’m going to get my husband to double check if it’s level this weekend. If it is then I’ll call Frigidaire. Thank you!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
We levelled it and it’s still annoyingly loud. It’s so loud we can’t hear people talking in the next round I’m over when it goes off. Costco told us to call Frigidaire, so they can trouble shoot. Between that and finding the kick plate on the fridge was broken on delivery I’m about to send both units back.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11913 posts
6442 upvotes
Brampton
Shaynelle wrote: We levelled it and it’s still annoyingly loud. It’s so loud we can’t hear people talking in the next round I’m over when it goes off. Costco told us to call Frigidaire, so they can trouble shoot. Between that and finding the kick plate on the fridge was broken on delivery I’m about to send both units back.
Sounds like it was damaged. I'd def send both back
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2224 posts
1570 upvotes
SW Ontario
Shaynelle wrote: We levelled it and it’s still annoyingly loud. It’s so loud we can’t hear people talking in the next round I’m over when it goes off. Costco told us to call Frigidaire, so they can trouble shoot. Between that and finding the kick plate on the fridge was broken on delivery I’m about to send both units back.
Definitely something wrong as we can hardly hear ours run when in the kitchen, and don't hear it at all of someone is talking.

The kickplate design is a little weird I found. Are your sure it's broken as on ours all it took was to slightly bend one of the fork style tabs outward a little and it stayed on.

Call Frigidaire
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12274 posts
3543 upvotes
GTA
I'd be very inclined to bring this back. Even if there's a fix now, do you honestly believe this will last as long as a brand new unit with no issues?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 21, 2015
850 posts
406 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
any updates? We have an upright Frigidaire frost free freezer and it is relatively quiet when the compressor runs..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
All Frigidaire told us on the phone was to check if it's level. They offered to send someone out for service but we are having the set sent back since the fridge came with a broken kick plate - normally I wouldn't be concerned if it was just that but between the broken kick plate and crazy noisy compressor I suspect this set wasn't transported very carefully. We ordered February 2nd and it was delivered Feb 28th... and sat in the delivery warehouse for three weeks after they received it from Costco. The compressor the contractors are using is probably just as loud as our freezer when it goes off... scares the crap out of anyone who happens to be near it when it goes off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
Jojo_Madman wrote: The kickplate design is a little weird I found. Are your sure it's broken as on ours all it took was to slightly bend one of the fork style tabs outward a little and it stayed on.
Yes, it is kinda weird. But it's broken off, there's a jagged edge and about 3-4" is missing from the right end on the fridge, and the freezer has the same kick plate and its intact, with nothing missing. The pieces look super cheap though and I'm sure it didn't take much to break it off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
#%<~%!

We received a replacement freezer from Costco and the damn thing is just as loud! We made sure the freezer was level. The noise happens randomly and only for 5-7 seconds so we haven’t been able to record it yet but I’m hoping to.

I’m so ticked off right now!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12274 posts
3543 upvotes
GTA
Shaynelle wrote: #%<~%!

We received a replacement freezer from Costco and the damn thing is just as loud! We made sure the freezer was level. The noise happens randomly and only for 5-7 seconds so we haven’t been able to record it yet but I’m hoping to.

I’m so ticked off right now!
Forget this model then. Return it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
Record the sound then play it over the phone so customer service can hear it for themself.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
cheapmeister wrote: Record the sound then play it over the phone so customer service can hear it for themself.
I’m trying to, like I mentioned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1021 posts
135 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Too bad you didn't get a tech to check your first fridge as I suggested. You might have learned invaluable info. Live and learn.
What could I have learned from the technician? Genuinely curious.